Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Ariadne-class (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ariadne-class
aridas
Member # 1051

- posted      Profile for aridas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it started out as a concept for a Star Fleet fighter back in the time I was designing the Killer Bee. I wanted something that looked much older to compare the "modern" Killer Bee to. Thus I drew on the Jefferies ringship shown in TMP for inspiration (though I was never really sure it would be a ringship until I drew the detailed drawing you see here). This design ended up working at a size that seemed just too damned big for a fighter, so it ended up being slotted into that silhouette chart as a clipper.

--------------------
Feeling nostalgic for that old time Trek religion? Visit the Federation Reference Series online!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
To me, it's like the Spice Girls: you KNOW it's bad & yet you can't help but be mesmerized by it.

YES!! It has a certain Je ne sais quoi??

BUT what the bloody hell is that red thing at the front... HAHAHH!

Aridas - you originally designed that Recognition Chart?? Or are you just extrapolating from it? There were ships to the left and right of it on that chart that were equally weird - but looked like that TMP Enterprise ring ship sillohuette if you joined them together.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK it seems as if you posted some of my answers while I was writing my post!!

--------------------

aridas
Member # 1051

- posted      Profile for aridas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The red thing is equivalent to the dome on the front of the nacelle. In the FJ/SotSF take on Trek, the front of the nacelle was a spacetime attractor, and the Bussard collectors were the screwthread-like vents just behind the dome. If you'll remember, there was another dome at the back of the 1701's nacelle -- the spacetime restoration.

On the Ariadne you have both these domes, and they carry micro singularities to create the intense gravity to warp space around the ship, and then to restore the space to its normal shape. The ring is a negative energy induction ring, and would be matched in the nacelles by multiple ring-like coils. The negative energy ring's antigravity keeps the warped space from collapsing around the ship and crushing it.

And yes, I did that silhouette chart. I've read the speculation about those three ships adding up to the Jefferies ringship. That's coincidental -- if you looked at the other ships, they really don't look anything like the various parts of the ringship (which I did draw, but which didn't make it to that chart).

--------------------
Feeling nostalgic for that old time Trek religion? Visit the Federation Reference Series online!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Do you have non-silhouette pictures of the other two ships??

--------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never seen something like this before. This may be because it rather looks like a headphone than like a ship.
aridas
Member # 1051

And the Enterprise looks like a ship?

Yes, I have other images of the other ships. I'll probably post them at the federationreference web site at some point.

--------------------

aridas
Member # 1051

For those that are interested, Atrahasis is working on a model of the Ariadne ringship that is pretty close to what I had in mind:

http://atrahasis.proboards25.com/index.cgi?board=models&action=display&thread=1174752236

The coloring and "feel" are right for its role as a 22nd century precursor to the later Akyazi perimeter action ships.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shiny.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that a bussard collector or a nipple?
aridas
Member # 1051

Its actually a kind of futuristic cock bead. You know... for more pleasurable warp entry.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps