Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Retro Spacecraft (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Retro Spacecraft
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Started on this tonight:
 -

It isn't much yet, and nothing is really final. My intent is to rough out the design in Illustrator and then model the ship in 3D Studio Max.

Any thoughts?

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's got some not-so-subtle reminders of Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers (original), and, um, Duck Dodgers. Actually, it reminds me more of the Duck Dodgers series more than anything else because of where it looks like you put the control center.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the control center placement is quite ripped from Duck Dodgers. That and whatever I turned up in a Google Image search for "50's Scifi" are probably where most of this comes from.

The Google search was made before I actually started working on this, but I can't remember why I made it, in any case, the images were in my head when I started some basic sketching at work.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

-
Added some stuff, changed some stuff, but not much really.

Can anyone suggest some stuff to look at to get some ideas?

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Winchell Chung's website is a great reference:
Atomic Rocket main page
Winchell Chung's site index

You could spend a looooong time looking around all his pages.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhh this takes me back to some books I liked in primary school. They weren't novels - they were A4 sized books with titles like "Space" or "Space Flight" or "Future Travel" things like that. They had 'info' i.e. about the planets etc. or spaceships in the travel book they had sections on things like Maglev trains and hydrofoils. They also had sections with 'activities' i.e. you can create craters by getting a tray of flour and dropping other bits of flour on it. Another was to demonstrate how a space station's gravity might work etc. They were 'Osbourne books'. They had FANTASTIC pictures in them too.

Can ANYONE remember them? I've always been tempted to go back to my primary school's library to find them (I had some myself) but I'm sure they've gotten rid of them now - and I'm not sure they'd like me to go hanging out at their library!!

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah retro future goodness. I wasn't born in the time when spacecraft were portrayed like this but I do enjoy this type of design.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone help me in my quest to rediscover these books!?!

BTW - I remember looking at them around the late eighties but I reckon they were published in the early eighties.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Thanks for the links, haven't gone through everything, but I intend to. It seems to be taking things more seriously than I intend to though

Did some more:
 -

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

And a bit more
 -

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Trying something different for the engines, but I need to make some new wings now. I'm not sure if its really coming across the way I want in Illustrator either, but this is just a guide for later.
 -

Makotokat
Member # 1041

- posted      Profile for Makotokat         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking pretty good there!
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah tapering that main shape really made a difference. I like the wing being at an angle too. Makes it more retro. Now the "bridge" or cockpit or whatever looks a bit boxy. But I think the design is starting to gel now. More, more, more!
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

More changes. Alternatively, I could switch the wings and the rocket exhaust, or have the wings on the centreline and have four of the exhaust things. Or something totally different.
 -

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now we're talkin'. I suspect that cool as it looks having those upswept main wings (and it does look very cool), the design may look off balance in 3D. Love the cockpit thingy now.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps