Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Concepts and WIP (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Concepts and WIP
Pleiades10
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for Pleiades10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, instead of making silly comments, I thought i'd post some work here, I do 3d art, and a spot of 2d, but im ok for now in 3D, so i'll let my pictures do the talking, I'll put up some of my new ships rather than backlog all my old ones.

Bit more about:
Im 15 currently, I started 3d at 12, since then I've learnt a lot about modelling ships, and I'm reasonably ok with it now.

[Smile]

This ship is based off the DS9 Centaur, only I did one for the TOS series.

Back perspective
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/9448/bits0nc.jpg

Bussard undersides
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/7542/bitscc09kd.jpg

Nacelle detailing
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/751/acentaurgl3.jpg

Detailing on vents
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/6664/acentaur2vo3.jpg

Back end view
http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/2320/acentaur2uv9.jpg

Underside shot
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/2483/acentauryb5.jpg

Effect shot
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/6915/stage5li7.jpg

I won't post anymore before you get bored hahah, I hope you like them. I'll continue to post here and my designs as often as I can, but beware they can be a very long winded process.

Thanks.

--------------------
errrr...

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey that's really nice, I love it! Especially the detailing on the nacelles.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw these over at SFM, right? Very nice! The double neck is a bit odd, but it's your ship. Good job on the modeling!
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah, I don't get the double neck either. There wouldn't really be room for anything. I've always loved the Centaur, so it's kind of cool to see a TOS predecessor.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work.

Let the double neck remain a mystery of Trek fandom.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Pleiades10
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for Pleiades10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you!

The double neck is for stability, rather than the single neck that looked a little flimsy.

Update:
Underside saucer detail.
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/2816/bitscc0dd8.jpg

--------------------
errrr...

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Christmas lights?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, it's a happy jolly ship.

Sister ship to Riker's Lollipop.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christmas loghts, double neck and oversized ventral windows aside, it's looking really good.

I'n NOT digging the double neck though- it just seems pointless (and it does not look like a turboshaft could fit in there easily).That last pic makes it look like there is just one thick neck- far better that than either the TOS "flimsy" neck or the double neck idea.

With a thicker neck, maybe you can add in a torpedo launcher- kinda a step between TOS and TMP thinking.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's some nice modelling work. I'd say lose the fog on the nav lights and engines (which are, I guess, the Xmas lights to which people are referring). I'm not as dead set against the double neck, but maybe integrate it as a design feature to give it less of a kitbash-y feel. Like what Jason was saying, it's a thicker neck which maybe has a deviated fluted back end where a torp-launcher lives (another opportunity for some greebling.) Certainly strip the windows out of the textures in the in-facing sides.

Which 3D program(s?) are you using? Also, you're altogether far too talented to be fifteen. Please either age prematurely or become less awesome.

Pleiades10
Member # 1958

Okay, I'll place a thicker neck there, there were some concerns over the turbolift thing I admit. Bernd also suggested that I cover the phaser cannons, so they stick out less. The christmas lights I think they are refering to the cannons, thery are a common shape in one now I notice hahah. And that does give me some room for a torpedo launcher as well.

Another compromise that could be made is to make BOTH nechs thicker so it doesnt have to simply finish off the double neck idea, basiccally I wanted the double neck to compensate for that awful neck flimsyness, but I suppose a thicker neck should be able to do it too.

Yeah I am 15 lol, *checks birth certificate*, yep definately according to that, haha. Im flattered XD..
Im glad you all like it, but for now all I have is the cover update sorry, I'm kinda stuck between loking after my nanna and school exams.
EDIT: I use 3dsMAX 8 for my modelling, though my older models are from anim8or, such an example from a year ago almost to the day, are such things as this: http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/4413/56910743073advancedconstitutionjpgts44fc1428key0b3d45ul5.jpg

Since then I think i done ok, could be a little more focused like, but ok. Anyway heres the update.
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/8044/acentaurcp1.jpg

--------------------
errrr...

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Alright you little punk, I will add you to the list of people I hate here. You and your talent, bahh, why don't you just draw some more stuff and be quiet!

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Much nicer- gotta thicken that paper-thin nacelle pylon though.

I'm diging the idea of sliding panels to cover the phaser cannons- you could probably do another piece with a workbee servicing the cannons while another 'bee uses it's arms to hold that big panel.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

That would slow down the rate of fire a touch, having to have a 'bee move the panel before firing.

So, 10, give us the updates.

--------------------

Pleiades10
Member # 1958

Tahnks a lot, I think what Jason meant is that its maintenencem of course they can be slid down by hydraulics inside, they dont have to wait for a bee to open them, but in maintenece they would be turned off for safety so they require a more manual approach.

At the moment, Im having a problem, Ive got loads of schoolwork, but yeah I'm still around haha. BTW could someone please remove the '10' from my name, I was tring to reg here before, but my email account downed and outed, so now there are two 'pleiades' from my problem.

Cheers :0

--------------------
errrr...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps