Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » RFI: Starship class orthos for future web-based shiplisting (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: RFI: Starship class orthos for future web-based shiplisting
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The man from the past has it mostly correct.

I'm not looking for a single design STYLE, I'm looking for a single design look. Fabby doesn't do gradients; Irishman & Rev do. It's up to the artist to decide what he feels up to. I have a low baseline of what I want: largish, enough detail where it doesn't looks bad, colo(u)r, no scale bars, no framing elements.

Now, I won't deny that a little flash might bias my opinion a bit, but a better design with no flash will be better received than a mediocre design with lots of flash. Put simply, I'm looking for Kung Fu Hustle, not The Matrix.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BX: I admit I know very little on computer art. I still jerk-off design things manually. I do know enough to know that something like that tends to be a grey area to me, in that it almost touches on the area of artist impingement.

I mean, obviously, I don't want something done up in MS Paint, but on the other hand I don't need 927 colors, specifications on each & every bit of curve & line. I find that the best artists are the ones that have a persoanl sense of how it should look, & I want to work with that rather than constrict them to what I think it should be. Maybe that's a problem as well: too much freedom causes freezing at times.

I have absolutely no problem with it not having a unified style..just a unified look. Take for example, Rev's Antares & compare it with Jason Colbert's Istanbul, both of which are at the ASDB site. I love them both & want to use both in this project (with the applicable forms, of course), but they're very different styles representative of the creators. I want to preserve that

I wish I could offer money. All I can offer is the fatc that I think that when this hits the web, it'll be a massive draw, & that will expose the artists to more people. And maybe cookies. I can make cookies.

On a slightly more personal note, I'd like to say that I posted this both here & at SCN. I'm glad for the feedback here; there's been none there, which saddens me.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Why must everyone question everyhting I do lately??

Hmm, why do you say that?

I'll willing to help by outputting new versions of my own ships. I'm not going to touch anyone else's ships.
Of course, if you're going to tackle a graphics-intensive job like this, you should really learn how to draw yourself. Waiting on other people is a drag.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Shik
Member # 343

Ther are several factors that preclude my learning the art myself. Some are technological, most are pyschological. But rregardless.

I apprecatie your help, Masao. To be honest, I was slightly worried about your stuff.

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A word of warning - some people don't like their designs redrawn and/or published without their express permission, and will defend them vehemently. I think the Starship Design ships fall in this category, but I can't be sure. Just don't want you to get into any more legal troubles.
Shik
Member # 343

I'll deal.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
I'll willing to help by outputting new versions of my own ships. I'm not going to touch anyone else's ships.
Of course, if you're going to tackle a graphics-intensive job like this, you should really learn how to draw yourself. Waiting on other people is a drag.

Likewise I don't mind repackaging my old ASDB/JoAT stuff if that helps, but I'm a little busy with DKA at the mo to contribute anything more significant...and I wouldn't touch Masao's ships with a barge pole. [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brown_supahero:
Wow, fighting procrastination and investing one time to accomplish a goal! Too bad I smoke too much weed.

Yay another toner! I like the weed too. Too bad i don't have any but I ordered some online. Isn't canada awsom? Oh and plz excuz my poor spelllin. I just had my widsom teeth removed. And they game me hydromorphone or something. It's like really got me doped up now. But it's fun. just be carful about talkin about weed hear. while we're all mature enough to discuss it, and cuz charles the capps is like really cool about it, adverkatin drug use might get you byebyed. ok then.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps