Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » G1 Optimus Prime

Author Topic: G1 Optimus Prime
Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So with the Transformers movie coming out this summer, I figured it would be fun and to my advantage to do a G1 Optimus to throw on my demo reel.

That damned contour drawing and two tone shadding are a real bitch to do in Maya, but I think it turned out decent. He's all rigged and ready to animate, but I figured I'd throw up a shot of him to see what my fellow Flarites thought.

There's no photoshop cleanup except for throwing the logo in the corner.

Tech info:

Model/Rig/Toon done in Maya 8.0
Three weeks from start to finished product

-

--------------------
Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice job.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, all the Transformers have those short stocky legs- no wonder they transform into vehicles!
Also, how can Optimus run with that big metal..er..thing between his legs? He'd be all bowlegged and wobbly.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Jason means to say is nice job. I'm assuming you have a transformation animation. If nothing else, I'd love to see the vehicle mode.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, I did mean to add "nice job" to that ramble.

Also, what are those yellow things on optimus' crotch anyway?
Ashtray? Cup holders and change box?
A power jack would be funny...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Also, what are those yellow things on optimus' crotch anyway?
Ashtray? Cup holders and change box?
A power jack would be funny...

Considering where they are in vehicle mode, I'd wager they're headlights.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the comments

bX - That's one of my goals to do with this type of character. The process of getting a character rigged to function independantly and a working toon shader is a nightmare.

It's done with set-driven keys which are something I haven't had a whole lot of experience with but intend to look into. The biggest problem with having the two modes is the black ink outlines (you can't see the contour all that well on black)are created in select intances of the way geometry meets.

Getting the exact patern in one mode is one thing, but making the precise pattern of subdivision and flipped UV's for two is a whole other ball game.

My best bet would be to cheat it like was done on the Beast Wars/Machines series where the robots could Transform, but in a single frame they swap the transformable character for the fully utilized other mode.

Anyway, now I'm just rambling.

Jason -

I think that's the secret compartment where he stores his trailer everytime he transforms. [Smile]

Either way it pisses me off because that whole torso section is another animation cheat that's hard to deal with in 3D, as it isn't flexible and looks bad when done that way in 3D.

When they had him on Beast Wars the shorts were done as so you wouldn't see him getting up/sitting from the front.

Here's a high-res (1280X1024)close up if anyone wants it.

-

I'll be sure to post some cycles when I get them done.

--------------------

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the transformation sequence you might want to check out the Masterpiece/20th Anniversary Prime toy that was released a while back - that combined the cartoon accurate robot mode with the boxier truck mode, and involved some clever trickery with the torso to make it all work.

Also, and this is just a minor point, but I think Prime only had one Autobot symbol on his shoulders...I think it was his left one.

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

Josh
Member # 1884

I love the 20th anniversary Prime, couldn't have done the head without it [Wink]

You're pretty much right about the logo. It's generally drawn only on the front left on his shoulder. When I did the logo, I looked at my reference:

Cartoon : (Left most of the time, occasionally on right and sometimes both)

Takara's Cartoon accurate PVC's: Both

Beast Wars : Both arms, on the front AND back (weird..)

Also it is both portrayed as being a decal and a raised/indented pattern.

In the end, I opted for the decal look one both front arms since I find it more aestheticaly pleasing.

But yeah, you're right:)

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks weird even if it's only the abdomen that flexes or stretches a little?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps