Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Bohr class cruiser

Author Topic: Bohr class cruiser
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The vessel depicted below,

Bohr class Cruiser,

is a multipurpose cruiser introduced shortly after the Federation decided to retire the Daedalus class. I have no description yet, and just want to show off the pic.

--Baloo

------------------
Life is unfair. Deal with it.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should make the sphere look like an atomic model to justify the name... :-)

------------------
"Maybe they're trying to breed them..."
-guy in my math class, suggesting a reason for there being two overhead projectors in the classroom

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Niels would be proud.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally came up with a description for the Bohr class starship.

--Baloo

------------------
Life is unfair. Deal with it.

P.S.: The description is updated as of 18 September 1999.

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited September 18, 1999).]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the commissioning plaque quote. It's very suiting for a ship like that. (Are those shuttles like the ones the original Enterprise carried or are they separate entities again? If so... will we ever see them? )

An aside: Isn't the maximum impulse a little too fast for a ship of its day? Or maybe I'm just off the deep end.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

"Separate entities"? What do you mean?

--Baloo

------------------
Archives are a thing of the past.

P.S.: As far as "Maximum impulse" is concerned, I never gave it much thought. I suppose it might be the total delta-vee of the impulse drives if you consumed all the fuel, which would make this ship powerful by today's standards, but still rather slow by 24th century standards.

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited September 20, 1999).]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

I was trying to subtlely ask if you were going to design some shuttles to go with it, seeing how I like this ship...

------------------

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Sounds like a challenge.

Tell ya what. You figure out how big they can be without shoving them in like sardines and I'll see about drawing them.

Just give me the dimensions of the box they'll fit in.

The scale of that pic? 1 pixel = 1 meter. For the metrically challenged, 1 pixel = 40 inches and 3 pixels = 10 feet.

The shuttlebay (clamshell) door is 30 meters in diameter and it should be no more than 40 meters long (excepting the part enclosed by the door itself).

--Baloo

------------------

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Got tired of waiting. This one's dimensions are on the illustration. I may make it a separate entry later on.

It's big, but that's partly because the four shuttles must also serve as emergency life boats. When fully occupied (by around 1/4 of the crew) I imagine it's p[retty cramped, but with just a few people, there would be plenty of room for equipment, etc.

I imagine that in the "old days" you landed a ground party with loads of equipment and established a base camp. There was a lot less going back and forth between the ship and the surface than even in TOS.

One question: When were transporters introduced?

--Baloo

P.S.: I'll color it in later.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited September 20, 1999).]

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Okay. It's later.

In the scale of the drawing above, the shuttles shown would be only 4 pixels thick. Width is less than 0.7 of the height of the shuttle deck opening and length is less than the (presumed) shuttle deck length, so it would be quite easy to slide 4 of them into individual "slots" in the hangar section.

Anyone wants to make teeny versions to cut-n-paste into the Bohr's drawing, go ahead. My Program (PSP5) makes them dissappear (or nearly so) when they get that small.

--Baloo

------------------

[Added commentary: how they would fit.]

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited September 21, 1999).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*/enter obscure SF reference mode/*

I guess this makes Baloo "The Bohr Maker," no?

*/end obscure SF reference mode/*

------------------
"We shall not yield to you, nor to any man." -- Freak, The Mighty.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

I haven't read the book, but here's an excerpt:

http://www.maui.net/~nagata/tbmch1.htm

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps