Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » New Milky Way Map

Author Topic: New Milky Way Map
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The latest issue of "National Geographic Magazine" has a nice pull-out folder of the Milky Way (artist's conception based on current knowledge). It's pretty large. Perhaps one of our more intrepid mapmakers would like to have a go at it.

------------------
"We shall not yield to you, nor to any man." -- Freak, The Mighty.

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh... Fresh fodder! Now... Where, perchance, can one purchase a National Geographic Magazine?

------------------
"Alright... Who wrote 'Beavis and Butthead rule' on the back of my skull?"

- Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek Parody, The Critic

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have it in the Shoppette (convenience store) on base, but I'm broke for the time being. Most well-stocked magazine stores will have National Geographic. You used to only be able to get N.G. by becoming a member of the National Geographic Society, but I think in recent years they figured out that they'd have more money in their pockets for exploration, etc., if they just sold their rag on the news stand. I don't know if there is any benefit to being a member anymore, unless you get a steep discount off the cover price.

--Baloo

[Remembers when National Geographic was the only magazine you could reliably find nudity in. Of course, they were primitive and often malnourished, their teeth often displayed a complete lack of dental attention, and their standards of beauty reflected different priorities...?]

------------------
Archives are a thing of the past.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited September 22, 1999).]

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll try to get it too. And will scan it if possible.

------------------
A-"Dippidy Doo." Q-"What forms on your dippity early in the morning?"--Johnny Carson

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just found.
At www.nationalgeographic.com in the maps section, there is a galactic map in great detail. Is this what you were talking about?

------------------
A-"Dippidy Doo." Q-"What forms on your dippity early in the morning?"--Johnny Carson

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
which map section!?!

------------------
"All is full of love, all around you" - Bj�rk

Black Knight
Member # 134

Well it says 'Maps' at the opening page, then 'Star Chart', but I'll just make it easy for you: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/stars/chart/index.html

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a map of the sky as viewed from Earth. First of Two's description sounds more like a view of the galaxy from outside. At least, I hope that's what he's talking about... :-)

------------------
"Yoink!"
-Mel Gibson, The Simpsons

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice charts, but not exactly what I expected.

BTW, I accidentally clicked on the section with Antares (Scorpius). Antares being a real star why would the ship yards in Bajor sector be named Antares unless it is really close to Antares?

------------------
"Invaders from the fifth dimension!" - or: the canon proof that subspace is the same as hyperspace
Ex Astris Scientia

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the page referenced in the link above is NOT what I was talking about.

The fold-out is a oblique, looking-in-from-outside view of the galaxy, seen as if one were looking towards the center from somewhere outside the center of the alpha quadrant.

In other words, draw a line between the AQ-BQ border and the AQ-DQ border that bisects the AQ. Extend that line outside the galaxy. go up at.. hm, a 45-degree angle? That's about it.

I just realized thi issue may not have hit the shelves as of when I had posted it. Apparently, the library gets 'em early. If you see an issue of NG with the famous round-the-world baloon on it, you're too early, it's the next one.

------------------
"We shall not yield to you, nor to any man." -- Freak, The Mighty.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I found the map where I REALLY didn't expect it. It was sitting on the teacher's desk for my Commerical Art Class during 9th period today. It was already ripped out of the magazine too. I over it for the entire class period, and I must say, very cool. The one side has the entire Milky Way with the locations of multiple giant stars, a little 'We Are Here' sign, and the names of all the Milky Way's arms. Then, on the reverse side, it cuts the universe into sections upon sections until we finally get to our Solar System. The first section, called a Supergroup or something, is located around the Virgo Star Group, with the 'local group' off to the left. Then, from the 'local group' we go to the smaller Grouping, which has a bunch of Galaxies that are in the immediate vicinity of the Milky Way. This includes Andromeda and M33 (Both mentioned in Trek). Then, the next subgrouping, we actually can see the Milky Way quite well. It also has Sagittarius and two other small galaxies in it. Finall, we move into the Milky Way, and it shows all the stars in the vicinity of Earth, with colors and size representing brightness and size (obviously). It includes Tau Ceti, Wolf 359 (my fav star), Wolf 424 A and B, Alpha Centauri A, B, and C (AKA Proxima Centauri). Then, FINALLY, in the bottom right corner, we get the solar system. Along the border of both sides, it has such things as a side view of the Milky Way, Timeline of the Universe, multiple Radio and Hubble photos. I do suggest getting it

------------------
"I am Sci-Fi"
-The 359

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps