Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » zoom map

Author Topic: zoom map
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here is a map, zoomed in on the Federation and surrounding powers.
http://www.uq.net.au/~zzarayfi/zoom.gif

------------------
"The story..." Londo says, "is not over yet. The story is never over."

Basill
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, this is a beautiful work of art and seems to be quite a well thought out and accurate map. Everything looks well placed with the exception of maybe Vulcan and Earth. I understand that Vulcan needs to be close to Romulan space, but so should Earth for that matter (Earth-Romulan war a century before TOS; Earth-Vulcan first contact). They look extremely far apart in this close-up. Bajor and Starbase 375 are at least 30 light years apart and E-V looks 2 1/2 3 times that distance, though not accounting for 3-D trianglularity. Vulcan was only 4 days from Earth in TOS movie era (even with Scotty magic that means they are fairly close). Also I thought Galorndon Core was inside Federation Space on the edge of the Romulan Neutral zone, not vice versa. All in all beautiful start. Just some constructive thought which I know you love

------------------
Just a thought...A grain of salt-season to taste-lather, rinse, repeat

IP: Logged
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, if you keep this up, I'm going to have to hand over my title of Galactic Cartographer. If only I could make such nice maps based on my parametric equations... Alas, I only have MS Paint.

------------------
"Alright... Who wrote 'Beavis and Butthead rule' on the back of my skull?"

- Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek Parody, The Critic

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what w/ all the discussion of these maps, I thought I'd do one of the stuff that we know. The only things that could be considered speculative would be

that Vulcan is 40-Eridani,
that Andor is Epsilon Indi,
that Tellar is 61-Cygni,
that Ceti Alpha is Alpha Ceti, and
that Sheliak (real star) is Shelia (name used on screen).

So, w/o further ado, the map.

------------------
"It'd be a pity if every pencil on Earth suddenly collapsed in on itself and blew everything up."
-Krenim, TNO chat, September 30, 1999

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Hegemony a real word?
Great maps, BTW.

------------------
"So, no room for Bender, huh? Well I'll build my own lunar lander, with blackjack, and hookers.
In fact, who needs a lander, or blackjack?
Ah, screw the whole lot o' ya!"
-- Bender, Futurama.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes; it's a shortened form of "hedge o' money." Bill Gates has a hegemony.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I can't find any good quotations." - Frank G

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*rimshot for Frank*

But, yes, it is a word. It means "preponderant influence or authority over others; domination".

------------------
"It'd be a pity if every pencil on Earth suddenly collapsed in on itself and blew everything up."
-Krenim, TNO chat, September 30, 1999

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*LOL* @ "hedge o' money", probably an old joke, but I didn't know it.

------------------
Get your free signature at Ex Astris Scientia

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "hedge o' money" joke originates with Guy Kawasaki, a professional Apple Evangelist.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apple evangelist?

"I proclaim the truth of the MasOS!"

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

That's about right.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I could hardly find a Microsoft Evangelist.

------------------
Get your free signature at Ex Astris Scientia

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In that case, consider me sufficient worried.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*drools all over nice maps, rendering them slippery*

*is slapped out of thread by irate posters*

------------------
"FOOLS! Will I have to kill them ALL?!?!"

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...especially of one nation over another. Sorry, that was one of the word on my vocabulary quiz yesterday. Couldn't help it.

------------------
Personal webpage: http://www.crosswinds.net/~bae146/

Transit International Airways' Baltimore-Washington Hub: http://www.crosswinds.net/~tiahub/

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps