Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » A story in search of a middle...

Author Topic: A story in search of a middle...
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started writing a story last summer, hoping to submit it to SNW III before the time limit. I had a good start, I thought, and a great ending... but I could never figure out how to stretch out the middle long enough to make a good story. Then I figured it might be better off where it is, as a Short Short Story. But since I'll probably never send it in, (coward!) I figure I might as well post the good bits here.

All that follows is copyright 1999 Rampant Industries. Violation will result in horrible, terrible things.

AS I LAY DYING

She lay on the floor of the engineering room, helpless, immobile. Through the haze of her pain, she knew the end was coming, just as she knew that none of _them_ would leave her, until it came. Nor, she knew, could she leave _them,_ not really.
'How?' She asked herself, 'how did we fall this far? How were we fooled so completely?'
She has been _so_ close to success. She could have tasted it. Just a tiny miscalculation, one small lapse in judgement, a foolish arrogance, and now she lay dying on the duranium deck plates of a foreign ship, a galaxy away from her home.
She felt an odd sensation then, a sort of draining, from her mind, as if every thought she had ever had was being duplicated, and reeled away somewhere.
And she knew that this was no hallucination. That it was true, and exact, and had happened before, again and again.
One last message, from _them._
**UPLOAD COMPLETE** it said. **TERMINATE CONNECTION**
She knew, then, that she would not really die, not really. A part of her would survive. Meaning, of course, that she could never be truly free. Because she would always be trapped in there, with _them._
Inside, she screamed.
She saw the man, her destroyer, her saviour, moving towards her, cautiously considering...
'Do it,' she thought at the man. 'DO IT!!'
Picard picked up the still twitching remnants of the Borg Queen...

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Baloo and I have been reading the same books :)

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This should have been part of the movie!!
It would have explained a lot.
Very nice piece of writing!

------------------
"Scan that ship Mr. Worf!"
"Aye sir, 600 DPI?"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's very cool! It sounds alot like the theory I have about the Borg Queen too. See what you think.

The Queen is not actually an individual but rather a consciouness which exists within the collective. She can essentially be anywhere or everywhere she wants within the collective when ever she wants. When she chooses to give a certain situation particular attention she takes a body (she seems to like females of this specific race).

Something like this has to be the case since the BQ showed up after she had most assuredly been killed (twice) by Picard and company.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... Borg Queen as a kind of parasitic computer personality that dominates one host at a time.

Perhaps preferring a particular species with high cerebral capacity?

Hum.

------------------
"You will be swept away....
You, your men, your ship, your WORLDS!"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was sort of the idea: The Queen as an overriding program that subsumes the consciousness of its host. This ties in with the idea of countless personalities subsumed under the BORG persona, as we seemed to see in "Seven goes Schizoid" (I forget the real title)

Of course, when a queen is destroyed, it's original host consciousness might resurface for a brief moment, and thus, the story.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Baloo and I have been reading the same books :)

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Tuvokspeak* Impressive. Well, I wouldn't actually have liked to hear it in the movie, but as a part of a novelization... a fine piece of writing.

------------------
"When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way."
A somewhat different Janeway in VOY: "Living Witness"
Ex Astris Scientia

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps