Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Hey! I'm getting close! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hey! I'm getting close!
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After multiple tries, I seem to have finally created a graphic that has a semi-metallic sheen:

I'm using it at my site for the section formerly labeled "Legalese". If anyone can tell me how to do really decent metallic effects using PSP5, I would be quite grateful.

------------------
It is less important that you agree with me than it is for you to to understand what I'm saying.

http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I knew. Ever since I got Photoshop I've gotten more into that than PSP5. How'd you even do that?

Photoshop is God

------------------
Calvin: "I'm a man of few words."
Hobbes: "Maybe if you read more, you'd have a larger vocabulary."
Federation Starship Datalink - Now with a pop-up on every page...damn you Tripod!

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did get a not-bad burnished metal effect for one of the logos I tried for my company's website, but didn;t use it in the end. . . grey background, speckle it, then motion blur it.
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I filled the blank image (using gray tones) with a sunburst, offset to the top and right. Errr... I mean left .

Next I did the lettering (selecting "Floating") on top of it, then filled the lettering. Leaving the lettering selected, I changed the brightness by +15%. I then did a 1 pixel drop shadow (black) to the lower right, then did a second (white) to the upper left.

For the rivets, I did a small circle selection on a plain background, filled it, and gave it the same treatment as the lettering. I then copied it onto the image above, placing eight of then as shown.

I heightened the contrast of the picture by 50%, leaving the brightness alone, then colorized the whole thing with a hue of 30 and saturation of 128.

And there you have it.

--Baloo

------------------
It is less important that you agree with me than it is for you to to understand what I'm saying.

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited November 16, 1999).]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is PSP5? I use Photoshop alot. I get metallic surfaces put placing dark and light diagonal lines over a gradation and then blurring the lines. You can highlight (or shade) edges with thin blurred lines and use the airbrush for those little glints. Do everything on a separate layer first!!

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PSP is Paint Shop Pro, which is like Photoshop, but the major problem with it is that it isn't Photoshop.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Stuff" - Nobody

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

If Photoshop is the "Ferarri" of paint programs, Paint Shop Pro is the "Corvette". It might not be able to do everything the more expensive one does, but it can do nearly as much for a far smaller cash outlay.

--Baloo

------------------

Hobbes
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use both Paint Shop Pro 5 (PSP5) and Photoshop 4 (PSD)(I'm about to get Photoshop 5.5) on a regular basis. Although I mostly use PSD for graphics on my website. With PSD I'd easily be able to that Baloo. In fact -shameless plug- if anyone would like any logo art I'd be happy to give it a try.

------------------
Federation Starship Datalink - Now with a pop-up on every page...damn you Tripod!

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited November 17, 1999).]

Hobbes
Member # 138

Correction: I now have Photoshop 5.5.

------------------
Federation Starship Datalink - Starship site of the new millennium.

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*join's bandwagon*
I got Photoshop 5.5 last week.
PHOTOSHOP RULES!

------------------
Quark-"Stop. Or I'll disintigrate this hostage."

20th Century General-"With Your Finger?"

Quark-"With my death ray."

20th Century General-"Looks alot like a finger to me."

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Photoshop 5.5 start at startup. Check TechFX for some upcoming tutorials of some effects ive evented. As for the graphic. Use Antialiasing!!!

MUST... ANTIALIAS... EVERYTHING.....!!!!

[This message has been edited by Wes1701E (edited November 18, 1999).]

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Sorry. Force of habit. Most of the graphics I produce are gifs with transparent backgrounds. Antialiasing screws up the interface between the foreground and the transparent "background", so I don't even think about using them most times.

In fact, I so infrequently use antialiasing, I am not certain I understand what you mean. What effect would this have on the picture?

Please demonstrate.

--Baloo

------------------

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited November 18, 1999).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo: Look at the round edges of the letters. They're rather bitmapped. If you antialias them, the edges will be "blurred" and look more rounded.

------------------
"Alright, so it's impossible. How long will it take?"
-Commander Adams, Forbidden Planet

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How I envy you guys! I'm running an ambitious website, but the graphics are, well, crap. Let's assume I'm getting Photoshop right now, how long will it take until I can do really reasonable effects such as metallic gloss?

------------------
"When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way."
A somewhat different Janeway in VOY: "Living Witness"
Ex Astris Scientia

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you saying that the ASDB graphics are crap, Bernd? They're great schematics, yes, but images... Well, they're pretty good. But not crap. Certainly not crap.

------------------
"Waaawhooo! Lookie here ma, I caught me a lightnin' bug!"
-Jetstorm

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps