Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » I'm tired of kitbashes...need advice

Author Topic: I'm tired of kitbashes...need advice
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently acquired Adobe Photoshop 5 from my school, (they give a discount to students, so I didn't empty my pockets) anyway, I'd like to learn how to design Star Trek ships with Photoshop, kind of like RW's, but not as good, because he's incredibly awesome. (too bad he hates Trek now.)

If anyone has any tips, tutorials, etc, would you be so kind as to tell me how to do it?

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to draw curves, start out trying to learn the paths tool. It's not too easy at first, though.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Ou tou kratountos h� polis nomizetai" - Creon

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ultra Magnus: I am glad to see you have stepped away from the dark side (i.e., kitbashing). I don't know about using Photoshop for ship design; I've never used any pixel-based programs. Instead, I recommend you to get a good vector-based drawing program. With drawing programs the resolution is almost infinitely high, allowing much more detail and precision. Also, with the program I use (Freehand 7 for Mac) drawing curves is quite easy.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But you can't edit individual pixels!

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's a pixel?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

A pixel is like a hot dog grill, invented by Harvey T. Pixel in 1961.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The term "pixel" is techno-ese for "picture element", ie the dots that compose a picture. A TV picture consists of pixels, which you can see if you look close enough... and your monitor resolution (mine is 800x600) is expressed in pixels too.

Full marks for humour though

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the artwork you see in the Encyclopedias, the DS9 Tech Man, and ST: The Magazine is done in Adobe Illustrator or Freehand. The limitations to these programs is that you can only work with with graphic shapes and gradations.

I would suggest drawing the outlines in Illustrator and then bringing it into Photoshop 5 for coloring. Keep your colors on layers!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's easy to draw in Photoshop. If you show him how to use layers in Photoshop the drawing the basic schematic outline should be a breeze.

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the actual outlines aren't that hard, but the coloring/shading is beyond me.
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In January I will finally get Photoshop and Illustrator and hopefully step from the stone age to a new era of starship design. :-) You will probably remind me of my premature premature pretentiousness. ;-)

------------------
"Naomi Wildman, sub-unit of Ensign Samantha Wildman, state your intentions." (VOY: "Infinite Regress")

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ultra: Once you have your outlines drawn (make sure the lines completely enclose the shape) use your magic wand tool to select the area inside. Once the selection is made, create a new layer and hit Ctrl+H to hide the dancing ants. As long as you don't deselect this area you'll be able to fill it with solid colors, gradations, airbrushed shadows, whatever without effecting the lines or the other areas. You can use this proceedure for all shapes in the ship design. As long as you remember to put the coloring on a separate layer from the lines, you can just toss the layer and try again if you screw up.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps