Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Heads up, builders of starship models......

Author Topic: Heads up, builders of starship models......
Enterprise
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Enterprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have several Trek models of mine that I would love to see more of, but I don't have the money (that and there is the fact that there aren't many Ent-A models out there anymore).

So here's my idea, when I get around to building the next one, I'm going to glue a magnet under the spot where the big visible decals are (name and NCC). I can then take a small piece of plastic with a magnet on the bottom and make a "nameplate" with any name and reg num I choose. I, in theory, could build a "library" of ships.

Of course, there would be decals on the model itself. They would just be covered when the nameplate is on.

I can do this with at lease one of my Constitution-class models that need refurbishing. The problem is, I didn't think of this until I was close to finihing the model of my Nebulaized Constitution-refit (ok, I'm not done with it yet, but the big parts are already glued together).

What do you think?

------------------
Brandon "Enterprise" Grasmick
Commanding Officer, USS Sovereign (NX-74222)

"Captain, the Sona crew are willing to negotiate a cease fire. It may have something to do with the fact that we have 3 minutes of air left."
-- Worf

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
-- In time of war the law falls silent.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Attaching a "nameplate" to the hull would increase the thickness of the hull at that point and might be quite noticeable. Also, the nameplate would have to be very thin and have to follow the contour of the underlying hull exactly. (This might be done by vacuforming the nameplate over a section of the original hull). But the magnet on the nameplate might make it pretty thick.

I haven't done this, but how about having a "swappable" section of the hull with the name and registry. If you cut along panel lines it might not be so noticeable. This panel would have the advantage of being thicker (and more durable), yet flush with the rest of the hull. To make the removable hull plate you could use the piece cut out of the hull or you might have to cannibalize some kits; however, if the hull is circular, you could get several plates from a single kit. Just an idea.

By the way, for EntA kits, try ebay. There's usually a few available there.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps