Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Design Challenge...

Author Topic: Design Challenge...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a TNG episode (the name of which I do not recall) where a derelict of a Federation ship was "floating" deep within the atmosphere of a gas giant, at an altitude (depth?) where the weight of the volume of gas it displaced equaled the weight of the ship (so it was just "floating" like a submarine in water).

The pressures involved are very likely higher than those found at the bottom of our oceans. Visibility is likely to be somewhat distorted due to the density of the gases. The challenge is to design a vessel which can descend into the depths of a hyperbaric environment to explore and perform research.

Are you up to it?

--Baloo

------------------
"Politicians and diapers should be changed regularly, for the same reason."
--(Unknown)
Come Hither and Yawn...

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah...why?

lol...

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be interesting... I might give it a try after exams next week. Of course, I'll need to know what kind of specifications this ship would need to have...

BTW - I think the ep is "Interface".

------------------
"You insulted Shakespeare? I'm telling."
-Miss Bate

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I too think it is "Interface".

I'll see what I can come up with, I wanted to go back to the drawing board for a few weeks now.

------------------
"Reality is a condition that occurs because of a lack of alcohol."
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there are any astronomy majors (or minors), please answer these questions if you could (Pleeze?):

• What pressures (please provide conversion formula for newtons/square meter to english system, pretty please?) would there be about midway between the "top" (almost no pressure) and the "bottom" of the atmosphere of a jovian type planet (like Jupiter)?

• How deep can you go before the atmospheric density exceeds the density of water (for example)?

• How fast would one expect the prevailing winds to be? (Today's forecast: light breezes of up to 200 mph, with occasional gusts of up to 950. )

• What temperatures would such a vessel have to withstand?

• Etc?

Thanks!

--Baloo

------------------
--(Unknown)
Come Hither and Yawn...

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Further design considerations might be:

• Is the vessel crewed or unmanned?

• Does it have a "rescue" capability.

By this I mean, is it capable of extracting the occupants from a disabled vessel within a hyperbaric environment under conditions where transporters are unusable or inadvisable?

• If so, what are the approximate dimensions of the external airlocks sometimes seen on Federation vessels?

• Just how streamlined does this puppy have to be (if at all)?

• Anyone else feel free to add to this list.

--Baloo

PS: I saw an episode of "Great Ships" last night on the History channel about submersibles. It was a lot more interesting than I originally thought it would be and sparked this line of thought.

------------------
--(Unknown)
Come Hither and Yawn...

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited January 20, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And just when we're doing the chapters on pressure and density in class...here I was hoping to avoid my homework and you put it in the form of an interesting question. You wouldn't happen to be in cahoots with my instructors, would you Baloo?

Average density of Jupiter is 1.33 times that of water.

Average pressure? Hmm...well, let's assume that we start all of our missions at a point in Jupiter's atmosphere where the pressure is equal to that found here on Earth. 14.7 lbs/square inch, or 101,000 pascals.

One kilometer down from this base camp, the pressure would be 31,382,600 pascals, or almost 311 times normal air pressure here on Earth. The deepest part of the ocean has a pressure of 108,273,400 pascals. At an equal depth on Jupiter, the pressure would be about 345,387,300 pascals. (That's for a depth of 11,038 meters, by the way, the figure given for the depth of the Marianas Trench.)

And of course, on Jupiter, there's much more down to go.

Hmm...expect winds on the 400 mph range.

And that's all my oh so meager intellect can give up. Be sure to doublecheck my calculations before taking your family for a daytrip to the Great Red Spot.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For Jupiter atmos. info, you MIGHT want to check out the Galileo home page.

I'd do it for you, but I am both too busy and too lazy.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't the Delta Flyer built for exactly this purpose? I think this would be a good starting point.

------------------
"A few more calculations"

[This message has been edited by Bernd (edited January 24, 2000).]

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

*bump!*

Any takers?

--Baloo

------------------
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
--Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)
Come Hither and Yawn...

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps