Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Romulan fighters...

Author Topic: Romulan fighters...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I know we haven't seen them, but what the heck! We never saw the Daedalus either (except as a model on a desk).

I added these two to the Romulan intelligence report.

Starhawk Heavy Fighter

Raven Countermeasures Fighter (Heavy)

The countermeasures fighter is derived from the fighter. In actuality, I drew it first and decided that, (like the EF-111 Raven) it was built using an existing design as the basis. Please click on the images to open a new window containing details about the vessels.

--Baloo

------------------
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
-- William Pitt
Come Hither and Yawn...

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited February 22, 2000).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they look like they have an awfully large target sillouhette from the top, but that's probably necessary to hold the plasma weapon, and wouldn't matter too much if its fast and maneuverable enough.

Right?

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Grand Admiral Reese
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks a little wide, and that could be a problem. But, it is thin, so I guess that counters it, somewhat. But, its an interesting design.

------------------
"The Force will be with you, always."-Spirit of Ben Kenobi, ANH

IP: Logged
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep in mind that I drew the "countermeasures" ship first. Since it requires a (presumably) large interior volume for power generation and cloaking machinery (much of the latter is probably in the sphere at the aft end) it can't be small and sleek. Since it's small in the first place (compared with a "real" starship), it's got to have some internal volume for the device and making it wide works for me.

Remember also that since I designed these "backwards", (I drew the C-M fighter first, then did the heavy fighter based on it), I had to come up with some reason for the spaceframe (airframe) to be pretty big. I figured that if the fighter the countermeasures ship was derived from had a large main weapon, it would necessarily also have to be large. Therefore, the fighter has a plasma cannon and four disruptors, while the countermeasures ship (requiring a large internal volume for its equipment) was converted from the biggest fighter in the inventory (not unlike how the EF-111 Raven was developed from the F-111 "Aardvark").

You see? It makes sense!

--Baloo

------------------
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
-- William Pitt
Come Hither and Yawn...

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps