Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Rafale Class

Author Topic: Rafale Class
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been a while, but I finally made a new starship class.

Presenting the Rafale Class 'Multi Purpose Starship':

It is essentially a slight Sovereign Class kitbash. But it enhanced the potential a whole lot.

The Rafale Class is a modular design. It is made out of 4 parts:
- The main ship
- A multi purpose secundary hull
- A sensor module
- A torpedo launcher/Captain's yacht

Picture #1 shows a top view of the ship with one of the secundary hulls (in this case one similar to the Sovereign Class). Different secondary hull versions are made to carry:
- cargo
- ground troops
- attack fighters (thru-deck carrier)
- extra people for evacuation duties

Picture #2 shows the side view of the combination showed in #1 (minus the port nacelle). Note: That black 'thing' in front of what is the deflector dish on the Sovereign Class, is the front of the starboard nacelle.

Picture #3 shows the bare ship. The arrows show the location where the top module connects.

Picture #4 shows the side view with a top (Nebula-style) triangular module. (Note that the torpedo module is connected to the saucer, not the secundary hull.)

Picture #5 shows the front view with everything on it. Here you can see that the nacelles are tilted 45 degrees outward.

Well, what do think??

------------------
"I'm captain Kenny Redshirt of the Miranda Class USS Killedalot, NCC-1313."
"I know it is an old ship, but..."
KABOOOOMM!!
"Oh my God! They killed Kenny! You bastards!"

(-=\V/=-)

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited February 25, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't this a lot like what the failed Endeavour was supposed to look like in FC?

------------------
Jay Leno: "In the story of 'Jack and the Beanstalk', what did the goose lay?"
"Bosco": "Everybody."
-The Tonight Show, "Jaywalking"

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I didn't even thought of that. I was more concerned that I copied one of Fabrux's Sovereign Class kitbashes.

I dug out a picture of the Endeavor, and the two designs are indeed somewhat similar.
Here is a pic of the Endeavor concept for reference (opens in a new window).

Anyway, what do you think of my Rafale Class??

------------------
"I'm captain Kenny Redshirt of the Miranda Class USS Killedalot, NCC-1313."
"I know it is an old ship, but..."
KABOOOOMM!!
"Oh my God! They killed Kenny! You bastards!"

(-=\V/=-)

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The look is similar, but I can't tell if the Endeavour had its nacelles attatched to the saucer or not.

Personally, I think ships with modular secondary hulls like this are a great idea, and make far more sense than specializing an entire ship or making compartmentalized primary hulls like the one design in the TNG:TM.

Half-a-year ago I created / drew the SHUMWAY Class, which had a modular, detatchable primary saucer (minus bridge) that could have different purposes, including a terraforming base of operations. However, I couldn't post it (no scanner, and I can't use CAD well at all), and the gentleman who agreed to scan post a copy to these forums if I mailed him the design defected to Sci Fi Art, and hasn't been seen here since.

So unless I find a foo- ah, generous and trustworthy soul with one who will enter into a similar arrangement and DO IT this time, I'm stuck.

It really sucks. I'm sitting on over a dozen designs, some of which might actually be GOOD, and I'm willing even to GIVE away the modification and perfection rights to them, only wanting 'original concept' credit, and I still can't get them onscreen!

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of Two: I'll do it. However, I probably wouldn't do too many alterations, and I'm in Canada (read: more postage)

------------------
Ross: "Inter arma, enim silent leges."
Bashir: "'In the time of war the law falls silent.' Cicero. Have we become a 24th-century Rome, driven by the fact that Caesar can do no wrong?!"
-Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you mailed it to me, I could take measurements from the drawing and render it that way. That's how I did the Gorn reconnaissance ship and a few others. I did much the same thing with Fabrux's Whitehorse cruiser, and with elements of the Klingon D-6 frigate.

The fact that I live in the U.S. (New Mexico) would mean less expensive postage. I don't intend to disappear or "defect" any time soon.

--Baloo

------------------
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
-- William Pitt
Come Hither and Yawn...

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...

ARGH! Two offers? Now I have to made a DECISION!
Libras can't make decisions!
Brain hurts!

*klaxons sound*

Neural pathways collapsing!
Cascade failure imminent!
Initiating emergency protocols!

*flips a coin*

er.. hold on, while I actually get a coin...

*rummages*

okay.. Heads, I go with Fabrux. Tails, with Baloo (after all, the bear wears no pants)

*flip. niiiiiiiinnnnnnnngggg.... SLAP!*

Tails!

Okay, do you still have my email address? Otherwise I'll haveta email you, coz I saved yer last missive. Gimmie yer snailmail addie and I'll send some copies of my drawings, at least the ones that don't suck. Well, maybe the ones that do suck, too. You never know what a fresh eye might be able to improve. Descriptions / explanations / rationalizations, too.

Cool!

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... I hadn't realized that the Endeavour's saucer was circular.

I wonder if they realize that the ship they're presumably naming it after (Captain Cook's ship, I think?) was not spelled "Endeavor". Then, if John Eaves is going to spell it "Endever" in the corner of the pic, who knows what they might do...?

------------------
Jay Leno: "In the story of 'Jack and the Beanstalk', what did the goose lay?"
"Bosco": "Everybody."
-The Tonight Show, "Jaywalking"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps