Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Istanbul Class Transport (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Istanbul Class Transport
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay... I figured this ship is just too wicked to not share with you guys... Now before you interject saying that it's not canon (Frank, Elim, TSN..), I know it's not. But, this is our (the ASDB) interpretation of it. If anyone starts spouting that it's not canon, I'll... I'll... delete your posts! (just kidding ) Seriously folks, read the forum's description. It says: Non-Canon Zone. Enter at your own risk. Take heed of the warning... Now to the ship!

Istanbul Class Transport

Image by Jason Colbert

General Specifications
Starship designed in Ambassador era, is capable of landing & take-off in emergency evac. situations, reconfigurable interior sections for cargo, passenger, or troop transport.

Length: 340.0m�
Width: 234.3m�
Height: 71.8m�
Deck count: 16�

Production Base
Cochrane Fleet Yards, Alpha Centauri System

Type
Transport

Compliment
230 officers and crew; 52 visiting personnel; 2180 person evac limit.

Mass
1,450,000 metric tonnes, unloaded. (assuming Intrepid is 700,000 mt)

Performance
Warp 5, 6 cruising speed, warp 8.4 for 12 hours max.

Armament
Type 6 phaser emplacements on upgraded models, usually concealed. For defensive purposes only. One probe launcher, but no torpedos are usually kept stocked.

I might make this a regular thing once we start doing some more designs... Check out our website for more nifty designs!

� = Subject to change

------------------
Ross: "Inter arma, enim silent leges."
Bashir: "'In the time of war the law falls silent.' Cicero. Have we become a 24th-century Rome, driven by the fact that Caesar can do no wrong?!"
-Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

[This message has been edited by Fabrux (edited March 01, 2000).]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, nice. It's sort of Akira/Sydney-ish.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait a second - The Istanbul wasn't seen on screen, so how do we know what it looks like? So, then, this isn't canon?

Actually, I like it a lot. The only thing that bugs me are the redundant smaller shuttlebays near 3 and 4. that space could've been used to enlarge the main doors, giving it a wider field of access.

And the nacelles are too cool for a NCC-3xxxx ship.

------------------
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
-Mark Twain

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited March 01, 2000).]

xfozzboute
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it.

------------------
"According to my bird the only bad air around here is you guys farting around."
-Roy Neary

IP: Logged
ASDB_J
Member # 312

- posted      Profile for ASDB_J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe...

It's still cool to see my artwork on the web...

~ Jason :-)

------------------
OK, OK - I know I should've been here sooner... ^_^

I can barely keep up at SFA...!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as ships go, this one ain't too bad. However, this has to be said... It's the Istanbul, not Constantinople? :-)

------------------
Jackson: "Basically, he was the original Satan."
O'Neill: "Well, isn't that special?"
-Stargate SG-1: "Serpent's Song"

ASDB_J
Member # 312

- posted      Profile for ASDB_J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, TSN ~

Wait until you see the dedication plaque I'll soon be posting... hahaha

~ Jason :-)

------------------
OK, OK - I know I should've been here sooner... ^_^

I can barely keep up at SFA...!

[This message has been edited by Capt_Spencer (edited March 02, 2000).]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me likey! Let me guess the dedication will be something like "Particle man, Particle man. Doin' the things that a particle can." Or, "Minimum wage! Heya!!"

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me like too, Jason!

The hull's shaped a bit like a wet-navy ship's would be, and the horizontal pylons with their dark grooves sort of remind me of the Oberth aft primary hull. All that helps in creating the impression of a utilitarian cargo hauler.

I must agree with Ultra Magnus, though: the nacelles are way too cool . Something clumsier, perhaps similar to what the Olympics have...?

And whenever I try to think of that whale landing let alone taking off... Is there a gigantic aft landing leg to keep the fantail up or something?

Timo Saloniemi

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, very nice! I really like it.

It reminds me of something I saw while poking around at SFA the other day. Check this out: http://www.happy-soft.com/scifiart/ubb/ubbhtml/Forum1/HTML/000574.html

Oh, and as far as the dedication plaque goes, that's nobody's business but the Turks.

------------------
Dane

"Mathematicians have long held that a million monkeys banging on a million keyboards would eventually reproduce the collected wisdom of the human race. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert Silensky

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Actually, I like it a lot. The only thing that bugs me are the redundant smaller shuttlebays near 3 and 4. that space could've been used to enlarge the main doors, giving it a wider field of access.

Those small doors are bays 3 and 4. They're just smaller so smaller items can be loaded/unloaded without necessitating opening the larger doors. It also means that things can be stacked up in front of the big doors..

------------------
Ross: "Inter arma, enim silent leges."
Bashir: "'In the time of war the law falls silent.' Cicero. Have we become a 24th-century Rome, driven by the fact that Caesar can do no wrong?!"
-Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

D-S
Ex-Member

I like it, I like it a lot. [needs to be said in a Garth type voice] [add strange laughter here]

Fabrux: Will probably have ago at doing a 3D thing once I've finished Bernd's Mediterranean. He mailed me today with a 101 thing to add. Not to worry though.

D-S
Ex-Member

Bernd: Wasn't slagging you of by the way.
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
---- I hereby officially state that the Istanbul is my new favorite among the ASDB ships. ----

Welcome, Jason, and congratulations again!

Dave (request #102 ): Are you going to post the Med here (considering my lack of time)?

BTW, isn't there a whole portion missing on the ship at Scifi Art? It looks so unbalanced. I suggest to make it a cargo transport, and fill the gap with one or two detachable containers.

------------------
"A few more calculations"

D-S
Ex-Member

How do you post pics?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps