Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Gorn heavy battle cruiser...

Author Topic: Gorn heavy battle cruiser...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Tyrannosaur Heavy Battle Cruiser

As always, click on the image to open a new window and read the description.

--Baloo

------------------
"Helping Tomorrow Feel Superior by Scoffing at Yesterday."
--James Lileks [Motto of The Institute of Official Cheer.]
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What software do you use?

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Paint Shop Pro (PSP) and MS paint.

The initial drawing (B&W, lines only) is MS-paint, although if I have to do any complex cutting and pasting, I switch to PSP for that. For example, if I have to partially hide a nacelle behind some of the ship's structure, I'll copy the view it will be in to PSP, then make a separate copy with the nacelle superimposed on top of that structure, then paste just that structure over that view, so only the parts that would be visible will show, then I paste the completed view back into MS-paint.

Once the line-drawing is complete, I save the bitmap and re-open it in PSP. I save the picture as a gif (to avoid over-writing the bitmap) and then increase the color depth to maximum (PSP won't let you do some effects unless you're at the highest color depth).

I then fill the image elements with color. Usually I use a Linear Gradient or Sunburst Gradient fill to get the shading, but sometimes I use a pattern fill.

When doing a ship with flat panels (as with the above picture), shading is kind of difficult. I select all the elements to be shaded, then deselect the lightest panels. I reduce luminance on the remaining selecttions, then deselect the next-lightest panels and repeat, until I'm done. Flat-panel designs are the easiest to draw (and the easiest to calculate what the element intersections should look like) but the hardest for me to shade. There's a lot of steps and it's easy to make a mistake.

Once the shading is complete, I select the drawing elements (without the background) and crop the selection to just the ship itself, then increase canvas size to 640x480 again, centering the drawing in the picture.

Once that's complete, I use the color substitution tool to change the (white) background to a godawful pink (actually, it's maximum red plus maximum blue, so technically, I suppose it's a godawful violet) that I never use for any other picture element. I then reduce color depth to 256 and set the background color (the aforementioned violet) to "transparent". By using a unique color, I ensure that only the background is transparent, not any part of the vessel itself (at least not the opaque parts).

That's about it.

--Baloo

------------------
"Sometimes "dark" is just a way of saying you�ve nothing to add, only a new way to subtract."

--James Lileks
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited March 14, 2000).]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To say it with you own words:

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps