Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Baloo, anyone? help needed with Transparent Gifs.

Author Topic: Baloo, anyone? help needed with Transparent Gifs.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, can Baloo, or someone explain how to do transparent gifs - on paint shop pro... I just can't get them to work.

Andrew

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colors -> Set Palette Transparency -> Set the transparency value to palette entry (radio button) -> click on image background

Then to test it, go to Colors -> View Palette Transparency

------------------
Star Trek: Leeds
Creator, Producer, Only Writer

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pick the "eyedropper" first. Select the background color (the one that's down and to the right on the pallette status display to the right).

Then perform the steps above. Save the drawing in gif format and double-check before closing PSP.

Once you get the hang of it you won't need to be quite so paranoi... careful.

--Baloo

------------------
"Lassie, her ears pricked up!"
--Atoth the Tamarian [From "Star Trek: Door Repair Guy"]
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo: What version of PSP do you have? I have the PSP6 trial version and I don't need to pick the eyedropper first.

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, and what type of gif file do I save it as?

and should it work if a create a rough and dirty web page on Netscape composer and change the background colour place the picture there and the transparent gif should work?

So choosing white as the transparent part - everything in my pic that is white - will be transparent?

Andrew

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty much. I usually use the color replacer tool to turn the white image background to an ugly pink I never use for any other purpose except transparent backgrounds. That way I can have white bits in the image that don't "accidentally" turn invisible.

I use PSP 5.

--Baloo

------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

What do you mean what type of GIF? There's only one that PSP can save to...

------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Crap! I forgot to tell you:

If you're saving as a GIF, (and making an image transparent) you need to convert it to 256 colors. To do this, go to Colors -> Decrease Color Depth -> 256 Colors (8 bit). This should bring up a little window that looks like this:

Make sure that everything you see in that image is checked when you covert. That will make it so that the image retains 90% of it's original colors and there'll be no bleeding, etc.

------------------

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

I always use "optimized median cut". What's the difference?

--Baloo

------------------

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Also, if you can use the standard/web safe pallette, the file will be smaller. With most of my drawings, this screws up the colors too badly, but when I was trying to do a banner for my site, I finally figured out that it was the only way to make the file small enough to meet the requirements for submission.

--Baloo

------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

I dunno what the difference. I just asked Adam how to do that one day and he told me to use Optimized Octree.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps