Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » I wish I'd thought of this before the first...

Author Topic: I wish I'd thought of this before the first...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a ship in need of a name. It's a work-in-progress for the Romulan Intelligence report (I'm considering slimming down the main hull and extending the "wings" a bit). The working name is "Drake".

--Baloo

------------------
"Just because you know you're right doesn't mean you are."
-- Me
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not so sure about the "head" there. It looks great from the front...but from the side...

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sort of a Duck of Prey?

------------------
Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whoever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.
~C. Montgomery Burns

And be sure to visit The Field Marshal project http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net/

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it's the front view that bugs me (I like the side view).

The Drake is supposed to be a multipurpose vessel with the ability to be modified to perform a variety of functions. The "belly" can be outfitted as a cargo bay or it can be modified to serve as an out-sized hangar for fighter craft. It could also be equipped with extensive laboratory space and weapons, serving as an explorer rather like the Ent-nil, -A, -D and -E.

As I said before, I plan to slim the fuselage by perhaps 30%, but keep the wingspan about the same or possibly larger. If anyone can suggest a better frontal view for the "head", keeping the side and top views, I'd appreciate the help. The resemblance to a duck is intentional, and I think the side view captures this better than the others.

------------------
-- Me

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the Arzach class, after the rider of the fat pterodactyl, which this ship resembles, in the comic by Moebius?

One of Matt Jeffries sketches for the original Enterprise shows that he briefly (very briefly) considered a recurved neck but he rejected it because it looked to much like a duck. Same thing with the EntE: forward swept nacelle supports were rejected because of their resemblence to turkey legs. Unless you can come up with a functional reason for the shape, the head's just for decoration and the crewmen will get picked on by other crews whenever they have shore leave.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I designed something similar a few weeks ago (haven't made it GIF yet):

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Hlai'vna.
It is Romulan for wild H'lai, a flightless bird used for it's meat.

I designed a H;ai'vna Class freighter as well :
http://www.prakesh.f2s.com/hlaivna1.jpg

*and* the Klingon equivalent:
http://www.prakesh.f2s.com/klingon2.jpg

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Here's attempt #2 (uncolored). I narrowed and deepened the hull a bit. The "head" is modified from the original (I'm still not satisfied with the front view, but it's closer than the original to what I'm looking for). The problem is trying to preserve the resemblance to a duck without making it look like there's no good reason for it to be that way.

[Note the change of scale, from 2.5 meters/pixel to 1.5 meters/pixel.]

Masao: I was just doodling around when I came up with this shape. It's a(n extensive) modification of the Cormorant type fast cruiser. It's not necessarily a serious design (on my part) but I assure you there will be good reasons for the unusual configuration (perhaps to allow the limited armaments to have a better field of fire, and to distance the sensors from some bit of internal equipment that might interfere with them?) The "bill" is where I believe the sensors should go, and the "eyes" are disruptor emitters.

As far as the ship's name is concerned, for everything except Federation designs I use a "code name" in much the same way that NATO uses code names for Soviet aircraft (with a few exceptions). The "Flogger" isn't known by that name within the (former) Soviet Union, and neither are the "Moss" or "Faggot". The code name denotes a specific type, regardless of the class. Unlike NATO, I don't ensure that the code name's first letter indicates what the ship actually does, but what the heck, it's a hobby!

BTW, I like the "Romulan Duck of Prey" suggestion. If it turns out to be a warship, I might just call it the Romulan "Warduck".

--Baloo

P.S.: In case none of you have noticed, this is the first time I've solicited assistance (as opposed to opinions) in the design of a ship.

P.P.S.: In case anyone was wondering, the title of this thread refers to the regret I feel that I didn't think of this silly-looking thing in time for April Fool's day.

------------------
-- Me

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited April 17, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"This is Subcommander Daffy of the Romulan Warduck Mallard. You're dethhhhhpicable!" :-)

------------------
"Compared to you, every male on this ship is an expert on women!"
-Geordi LaForge to Wesley Crusher, TNG: "Sarek"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*LOL*

Baloo: The Galaxy doesn't look that much different in separated mode. Just make it a Federation ship that lost its saucer.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Kvack"-Class -- named for comic-strip hero "Hagar the Horrible"'s hapless pet duck?

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if this ship's shuttles are called "ducklings"...? :-)

------------------
"Compared to you, every male on this ship is an expert on women!"
-Geordi LaForge to Wesley Crusher, TNG: "Sarek"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the shuttles would be then in egg-shaped shields?
Just kidding...

Looks nice, but I doubt that the Romulans would pick a duck for a ship. But then again I'm not designing the ship. I'd make the bill longer and thicker so there would be a good excuse to place a foward torpedo launcher there.

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Vanderbilt, Vanderbuilt Class starship

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chevok: "Keptain, the Duck of Prey is spitting torpedoes at us."

------------------
"Tigers are mean! Tigers are fierce! Tigers have teeth and claws that pierce!"
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server, sucks don't it?

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

I think I'm going to put the "Warduck" on the back burner for a while. I still have to finish the Jenny Hanniver for 1st of 2, and am also working on a few new Klingon transports.

I came up with the Warduck when I was really stressed out and needed the comic relief. My court case (me v.s. Ex-Wife) was coming up and now that things are settled (as far as things can be settled regarding unfriendly divorces, anyhow) I think I need to concentrate on other projects. I really do intend to finish it one day, and so I shall.

As far as personal matters, I'll start fielding questions when I'm d--- good and ready, so don't start piching any yet.

--Baloo

------------------
"Huh? Wuzzat?"
-- Any Teletubbie

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps