Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Still two more detailed designs

Author Topic: Still two more detailed designs
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one took me about twenty hours to add all the lifeboats, windows and other details. When it was finished, 256MB RAM were obviously not enough to export it in one piece with sufficient resolution and I ended up with a blue screen each time - so be lenient with your criticism: http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/my_ships/patria.htm

Here is a transport ship (something like a more recent version of the Sydney): http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/my_ships/vladivostok.htm

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a trick to export vector to bitmap: just press the Print Screen button and paste it into your bitmap-thingy. WOrks fine for me (and it even looks better, because CorelDRAW seems to screw up gradients when exported to bitmap)

BTW, I love your Patria Class!
Have fun with your Federation Class

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

[This message has been edited by Prakesh (edited April 26, 2000).]

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since they ruined the clipboard or interpreting the clipboard content (so that it only pastes thumbnail-sized bitmaps irrespective of the zoom factor instead of what you actually see), this would be an option. But this definitely doesn't work for a ship that needs 3000*2000 pixels to see all the details.

Prakesh:
Hey, you're lucky if you are working with Corel Draw. They still have an export filter that actually works!

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

What I wanted to say is that Corel doesn't seem to cause problems with gradient fillings, quite unlike Designer.

------------------
Ex Astris Scientia

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having to draw all those damn windows is one reason I like drawing earlier ships. I was wondering how you drew all the windows. Although I've never drawn a ship of this era, I would be most concerned with making the windows follow the hull curvature. For the side view, I would clone the primary hull, then shrink it horizontally to get the radials in side view. I'd then group all the radials and cut them horizontally to get line segments, which could be widened and given round ends. Do you think this would work? Did you try something like this?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

What I do is copy all windows and lifeboats of one deck, i.e. in one half circle of the top view. I shrink the height of the complete group of objects to fit into one deck of the side view. I then take every single window and stretch it vertically to the correct size, leaving the horizontal size and position. I replace the slanted lifeboats with rectangular versions which I distort to parallelograms with matching corner points.

There is a problem, since the profile of the saucer is curved, whereas my method assumes a perfect cone. I sometimes correct the positions of windows manually, if they would be on the wrong side of a hull panel or deflector grid line. This is often necessary in the upper, flattened part of the saucer.

------------------
Ex Astris Scientia

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it a lot!!! I would choose it over the galaxy any day (200% on sunday)! I have a feeling this ship exists in one of your daydreams:
"Mmmm, improved armament...regenerative shielding...double quantum torp-launchers...OUCH! Spilled me coffee."

It certainly is in mine now!

Nice blend of Ambassador-Galaxy. What is the blue pocket on the saucer-nose? Looks interesting.

Let's see now. Any criticism? The nacelle-arms could be shorter, they look unnecessarily vulnerable. They don't HAVE to be aligned with the outer edges of the saucer, do they? Look at voyager.

Anyways, cool set'o wheels, holmes.

------------------
-It's a free society, except there's nothing free,
there's no guarantees y'know, you're on your own.
It's like, "law of the jungle"!

-Keva Rosenberg

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Second thought, the nacelles isn't that bad either.

Some food for thought. Wouldn't it be cool to draw flat surfaces on starships, for effectiveness over aesthetics? I was thinking of the front view of the Patria. If the round engineering-section would be the same proportions but "six-edged" (forgot the latin) it could be nice.

------------------

-Keva Rosenberg

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited April 27, 2000).]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nimrod - You mean hexagonal?

------------------
"Keep on Trekking"
-D. Kelly

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

The small blue spot is the saucer deflector.

I was thinking about a more angular secondary hull, but I guess the larger a ship is the more likely it would have a smooth and curved surface.

------------------
Ex Astris Scientia

Nim
Member # 205

If hex- is between pent- and sept- then yes. But since you're going for the more ambassadorian look it's mandatory.

------------------

-Keva Rosenberg

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps