Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Terragen does Mars... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Terragen does Mars...
The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After hearing about this Terragen program last week, I went out and got ahold of this amazing program for myself. After a couple days of playing, I've rendered dozens of different landscapes. Growing bored with Earth-based scenes, I decided to tour the rest of the Sol System. I started with Mars, for no reason other than because I wanted to. I did a whole "Terraforming of Mars" Series, which I must redo sometime. Then I did Mercury and Venus. I've learnt some new tricks, so I came back to Mars again, and rendered these pics.

http://trekelite.virtualave.net/Mars_1.jpg

And my fav:

Thoughts? I'll likely do more in the near future... =]

------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."

SapphireEclipse Productions
http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/

[This message has been edited by The Vorlon (edited May 01, 2000).]

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man! Those look beautiful.
It's amazing what Terragen can do.

------------------
I need to think of something...
Quantum Threshold

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful. That is just plain cool.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, this can't be a computer program, Adam. You should admit that you have been on Mars and taken photos there!

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soool, they're touring you again!

Very cool.
SHOW US THE REST!!!

------------------
Remember December '59
The howling wind and the driving rain,
Remember the gallant men who drowned
On the lifeboat, Mona was her name.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One problem though. I was watching a TLC Program and they said the sun, as viewed from Mars, would look blue, not yellow. Any way to fix that?

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*confused* Blue?

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think something in the atmosphere makes it look blue

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a sunset image taken by Sojourner where the sun is a blue-white, but I always thought that was due to false colours being used to enhance the pic, or something... I don't see why it would be blue, though. CO2 and pink dust is all that is in the Martian atmosphere. The lack of a EM field and UV layer shouldn't effect colour. It just seems better to keep it yellow, or at least an off-white.

------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."

SapphireEclipse Productions
http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/]http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/]http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/]http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it might just be that "pink dust". It might filter out red and yellow tones so the sun appears blue-white. Anyone have a more solid theory (or a link to a website that explains it better)?

--Baloo

------------------
"The difference between involved and committed? Look at a plate of ham and eggs. The chicken is involved. The pig is committed."
-- Me
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent pictures, kinda remind me of Battlezone. Pink dust shouldn't make the sun look bluer. An object that is pink absorbs heavily light of wavelengths that are not pink, ie. blues and greens. So the dust should have the opposite effect of making the sun look blue. Therefore it must be something else....

------------------
"Try not.
Do.
Or Do not.
There is no try."
-Yoda, Jedi Master.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if Mars is hurtling quickly toward the sun, it may look blue. But, if that happened, I think we'd know about it... :-)

------------------
Harold: "You're missing the point!"
Red: "Well, I don't like points."
-The Red Green Show

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aah, now I see why Paris wants to drive around in a Camaro on Mars...

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Sunspot
Wasting Away
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Sunspot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Sunset on Mars [From MSNBC]

------------------
What I'm looking for / Cannot be sold to me / I wish they all would stop trying / 'Cause what I want and what I need / Is and will always be free

- Incubus

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read somewhere that the sunsets on Mars are blue skies... and the day time on Mars is red skies... opposite to Earth.

------------------
"chocolate cherries allamanda" - Datura, Tori Amos

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps