Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Bajoran System (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Bajoran System
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*agrees w/Tim's above post*

On DS9's orbit. The tangental orbit idea is curious, but I can't see there being any evidence that this was the case. AFAIK, the writers have always worked with the concept that the Denorios Belt was in about the same position as the Asteroid Belt in our system, and that Bajor and Earth's locations are also reasonably analagous. IIRC, the travel time of 6 hours was once floated as being the DS9-to-Bajor travel time, presumably @ impulse.

Back to the topic of Cardassia. Cardassia IV (from The Circle Trilogy) was shown to be a separate M-class planet to Cardassia Prime, so we can eliminate one number. IIRC, the term Cardassia III was floated around at some point. Might that be Cardassia Prime?

------------------
"Truth about Santa Claus debunks Santa God. God evolves from Santa."
-Gene Ray, http://www.timecube.com

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't "Prime" refer to the first planet in the system?

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Tetris is, and this is fact people, confirmed by the Rand Corporation; fifteen thousand times more addictive than crack. I spent three years in a Tetris-induced haze, barely eating, wandering the streets panhandling for Gameboy batteries." - Simon Sizer

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think so. That's how I've always heard it.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would make Mercury "Sol Prime." Sounds kinda stupid in that context, eh?

Methinks that the "prime" refers to the central planet, the homeworld. Thus, "Sol Prime" would be Earth because of its uniqueness in the system & being the origin of humanity. Bajor could also be called "Bajor Prime" given...well, yeah.

This theory works because we've never actually heard or seen a reference to the "Cardassian Union;" we only know that's the formal political name becasue of the Encyclopedia & DS9 manual. Any mention has just been of "Cardassia." Given that, the use of "Cardassia Prime" indicates the homeworld, the central power base.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always understood it that way also. "Prime" denotes the main planet, not necessarily the first.

------------------
"I'm sick of you little girl and boy groups: all you do is annoy me, so I have been sent here to destroy you..."
-Eminem, "The Real Slim Shady"

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't there a Cardassia Prime in the Chintoka system?

What would be some good masses and diameters of planets in the bajoran system. (Educated Guess)

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... No. There may have been a "Chin'toka Prime", or something. But Cardassia Prime is in the Cardassia system...

------------------
"I'm sick of you little girl and boy groups: all you do is annoy me, so I have been sent here to destroy you..."
-Eminem, "The Real Slim Shady"

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chintaka is in the Chintaka system, Cardassia Prime is in the Cardassian system. You might have got mixed up when Sisko said that were going into invade Cardassia which he meant Cardassian territory.

------------------
It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops...ok, sorry about that.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure no one ever said the words "Cardassian Union" onscreen? I'm sure I can remember Dukat or Damar using it in one of their speeches.

------------------
But the dead only quickly decay. They don't go about being born and reborn and rising and falling like souffle. The dead only quickly decay.
--
Gothic Archies
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! For the love of God, Montressor!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am all but positive I heard Damar say "Cardassian Union" in the final arc. And, IIRC, it might have been used in TNG at one point.

------------------
"Truth about Santa Claus debunks Santa God. God evolves from Santa."
-Gene Ray, http://www.timecube.com

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe there was a ref or 3...even if there was, it doesn't invalidate what I said. The whole entity is referred to as "Cardassia" 99.9998% of the time.

Funny that they do things like that....like there are no other races living within the confines of the Klingon, Romulan, or Cardassian empires....or the Ferengi Alliance (which just may BE a trade alliance).

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

bear
Member # 124

Any thoughts....
Macromedia Flash is required...
What should I change?
Color?
Layout?

I realize the technobabble isn't quite up to spec yet, but bear with me. This for the most part is my second draft, so it's not quite as polished yet. http://www.geocities.com/bear33t/bajor5tac.html

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I reckon that Hypuria is within the alliance - i.e. where Meyharduu comes from along with Hypurian bettle snuff... even though most don't think or do you? But legends of the Ferengi mentions that the ferengi - do go to war sometimes - and that they conquered Hypuria once...

Also, the Breen sold them warp drive for their polar caps and a few icy moons.

Xendi Sabu (where the "battle" of Maxia occured) could have been on the outskirts of Ferengi Space... also that the Ferengi were unknown then, AND that Picard was in the Stargazer, which yeah could get around, but was also in the Cardassian wars...

Ferenginar is near the CU... for Quark and co. to be on Terok Nor a few years before First contact between the Federation and the Ferengi.

Andrew

------------------
"Neil says hi by the way" - Tear In Your Hand, Tori Amos

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've gotto say Bear, you do some nice Flash stuff... that and your Maquis fighter anims etc! Nice work!

Andrew

------------------
"Neil says hi by the way" - Tear In Your Hand, Tori Amos

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps