Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Development Logos (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Development Logos
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The second sentinel logo with the pyramid could be a reference to the AC Clarke story ("The Sentinel') on which 2001 was based. In the story the alien artifact was a pyramid rather than a slab. Of course it didn't have that eye like the pyramid on the one dollar bill.

Also, do you plan to change to colors or shapes of these developmental logos? Or are you going to stick to the example of the Galaxy logo?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Tim..the lamp from Sentinel should be on Vigilance & vice-versa.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm not sure about the lamp for the Vigilance. But the soldier-looking guy looks like a sentinel of some sort.

Save the eye-pyramid for a class you can call Illuminati-class... *L*

------------------
"Me, Grimlock, not 'nice dino'! Me, Grimlock, bash brains!"
-Grimlock, Transformers: The Movie

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pyramid-with-an-eye is supposed to be the symbol for the New World Order, a secret coalition of all Earth governments wan probably soke aliens and Microsoft and something called Illuminati. I'm don't know all the juicy details, but it's mysterious.

------------------
MS Windows Error 014: Unexplained error - Please tell us how this happened
---
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could move the Vig pic to the Sentinel, but what would be on the Vig's logo then? For the Sentinel, I had this idea of a lone soldier alone in the night with a latern, so I settled just for a latern. That didn't work, but Fabio suggested I find something with an Eye... I thought the pyramid was good, because it reminded me of that eye on the US $1 bill which is always watching...

As for the colour and styles of the logos, I much prefer the simple and serious Galaxy-style to the childish logos of the Defiant and Danube Classes from the DS9TM. I might change them, if I make something TOS or do some Fleetyard logos...

------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."

SapphireEclipse Productions
http://sapphireeclipse.3dworlds.org

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree about the DS9TM logos. Those were just dumb...

As for the Vigilance logo... How about Batman? *L*

------------------
"Me, Grimlock, not 'nice dino'! Me, Grimlock, bash brains!"
-Grimlock, Transformers: The Movie

SCSImperium
Member # 397

- posted      Profile for SCSImperium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pyramid is the best of the two. Though for the Destiny ship, lose the Gipsy emphasis. I was thinking more like the Fates, Q, a three dimensional timeline, or a sundial.

------------------
-Small Computer Systems Interface "Scuzzy" Emperor

Operator of the Goulag Hotel, maintainer of the workhouses.

Operator of Cargill Conglomerate Publications, http://www.cargillconglomerate.com

"Woman is deprived of rights from lack of education, and the lack of education results from the absence of rights. We must not forget that the subjection of women is so complete, and dates from such distant ages, that we are often unwilling to recognize the gulf that separates them from us."

Tolstoy, on a more objective note.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The DS9 TM's logos were great.

------------------
Come on darkness
Lay your body down on us
We've been calling you for so long now
We're weary of your name
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Pull your body for a moment from your soul.

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN: Batman? Tim, tim, tim... *smacks him upside the head* =P

SCSImperium: It's not a Gypsy, it's a Fortune Teller looking into a crystal ball, looking into the future, prediciting your destiny... I thought it was quite fitting.

Can you really see Q on a development logo? And how might one make a 3D timeline?

Sol: Go sit in the corner and hang your head in shame! =P

------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."

SapphireEclipse Productions
http://sapphireeclipse.3dworlds.org

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I thought the Defiant and Danube logos weren't so bad!! While I think they would be more appropriate for t-shirts or unofficial team logos, I like that kind of emblem quite a bit for individual ships. Starfleet takes itself too seriously as it is.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

SCSImperium
Member # 397

- posted      Profile for SCSImperium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's not a Gypsy, it's a Fortune Teller

Call me out of a date, but I believe the latter is a coloquialism of the former. In a very short history, the small band of people from northern Africa traversed through Europe through the years performing shows of "magic and witchcraft," as well as telling fortunes. Thus the other name "Fortune Teller". The people mostly settled in southern France. Some immigrated to America, and opened up the American staple "Palm reading" shops.

Interesting to see another PSP6 user. Seems like as of recent everyone uses Photoshop. Though after using it, I still prefer psp. Seems like overkill when the most complicated thing I use it for on a daily basis is croping images for my newspaper, and adding a bevel/transparency to certain things for effect.

Q is a well enough known object to many. It implies the ship is omnipotent. As for making it, I would obtain a portrait of him; darken the image so that only the lightest parts of his face appear white; convert the image to a black and white, or the navy blue you use and white, resize it proportionally to fit the logo; finally transparently paste the layer into the development logo.

As for the 3d timeline, you might want to download the demo of Xara3d, and play around with a dash or line so that your looking straight on it with a little perspective; make sure that it is colored a white on top of navy blue, then take a screen shot and insert it into your logo. Once its inside PSP, you can add numbers down the line (2360, 2370, 2380, 2390, 2400, etc.)

------------------
-Small Computer Systems Interface "Scuzzy" Emperor

Operator of the Goulag Hotel, maintainer of the workhouses.

Operator of Cargill Conglomerate Publications, http://www.cargillconglomerate.com

"Woman is deprived of rights from lack of education, and the lack of education results from the absence of rights. We must not forget that the subjection of women is so complete, and dates from such distant ages, that we are often unwilling to recognize the gulf that separates them from us."

Tolstoy, on a more objective note.

[This message has been edited by SCSImperium (edited August 20, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

But, not all Gypsies are fortune tellers, and not all fortune tellers are Gypsies. Gypsies are an ethnic group. Fortune telling is a profession (so to speak...).

------------------
"It's like the Star of David or something. But without the whole Judaism thing."
-Frank Gerratana, 17-Aug-2000

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OF the ethnic group, yes, Tim.

Scuzzster: my housemate--who IS of gypsy descent, mind you--has asked me to correct you by stating that gypise were originally from India.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really? Aren't the gypsies a branch of the Magyars, (the descendents of the Huns), which would place them originally from Central Asia?

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will give an autographed Hungarian quartz rabbit to anyone who pronounces "Magyar" correctly without looking it up.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"And on a wholly unrelated note, I went to high school with Fidel Castro. So there." - Simon Sizer

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited August 21, 2000).]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps