Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Does AMT still make Trek kits?

Author Topic: Does AMT still make Trek kits?
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that AMT/Ertl was bought in July last year by Racing Champions, a company that sells mostly NASCAR souvenirs. I was at their website www.rcertl.com and could find no Trek (or Star Wars) kits listed, only cars and a Space: 1999 Moonbase. Are Star Trek kits now out of production? Should we be stocking up on kits?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AMT/Ertl's licence for Trek products ran out and they didn't renew it due to lack of interest, more than likely. Same thing happened with Galoob. So, no more AMT/Ertl kits. It's such a shame, though.

------------------
"Incest! A game the whole family can play!"
-Jonah Rapp

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure it was AMT/Ertl who didn't renew the licence?

I've ben getting really annoyed at Paramount/Viacom within the last couple weeks, because they took the licence to make and market the Star trek RPG away (by declining to renew it) from Last Unicorn Games (who'd only had it for a year or two) and gave it to Decipher, those guys that make the CCG.

Last Unicorn was producing a quality, fun and interesting product, despite the fact that Paramount took FOREVER to okay products once they were complete, thus delaying publication and distribution for MONTHS, and then Viacom's licencing department just dug the ground out from under them. And, I HATE %$#@*ing card games.

So does ANYBODY have the model-making contract now?

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's such a shame about the RPG license!
I really liked the work LastUnicorn has done.
Maybe Paramount or Viacom got angry about much too often delays from LUG.

About the modell-license, well i think nobody has it right now. Neither Ertl nor Revell-Monogram!
Argh...i wanted to have the Akira-class and the Jem'Hadar bug from them!!! (

Anyway i bought the Resin-versions..........if they weren't that expensive! 8(

------------------
This is how i prefer the borg... in pieces!!! -- Janeway in Dark Frontier

Seventhworld, the new SciFi-Project
http://www.seventhworld.de
Soon to be featured StarTrek Nemesis

Visit Rogue Fleet! The new StarTrek Internet RPG.
RogueFleet
Applications are still running!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, resin models are still available. But I guess they're pricy.

------------------
"Incest! A game the whole family can play!"
-Jonah Rapp

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thomas Models make some good, not-too-pricey kits (although what do I know, I can't even do Airfix! I'm just going off what I've heard) and re-sell others.
And I know of companies like Star Trader ( www.startrader.co.uk ) and the Sheffield Space Centre (you'll have to Ask Jeeves, I don't have their URL!) over here in the UK still carry stocks of the AMT/Ertl kits.

So... given the situation, here's my proposal for all you modellers out there: If anyone would like me to search for a specific kit for them, I am quite happy to do so. Payment by money only, price on application - cost will be sterling value (my bank will NOT accept non-sterling payments) plus shipping & insurance. Please email me at [email protected] and I will get back to you...

Oh, and I am also willing to trade on an equal-value basis for items of Treknology... manuals, blueprints etc. since they are like GOLD DUST over here!
Remember - if people group together and buy/ship in bulk, money order and shipping charges will be less

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does that mean that there will be no NEW releases or no more product from them at all!?!

Does that mean I should go around everywhere and buy up all the Star Trek models I can... (Its just that they're bloody exxy in Ostraya

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like it.
I was never much into making them myself but I always liked how they looked.
This is just more of Paramont/Viacom's crap. They have no idea how badly they are messing Trek up.

------------------
Where's the bathroom on this ship?

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, about 10 years ago, FASA lost their license from Paramount and they just about pulled the stuff off the shelves the next day. Granted, the game wasn't very true to the show, but at least it was fun to play. The funny thing is that FASA had the license for like 10 years and then POOF! Paramount sure is picky.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The rumor I heard is that Paramount dosen't like Wizards of the Coast who had just purchased LUG. Thus they decided not to renew and to award the RPG rights to Decipher who currently has a good relationship with Paramount.

------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark
http://beam.to/readyroom

"The man on the top walks a lonely path. The chain of command is often a noose." Dr. Leonard McCoy --Obsession, Stardate: 3619.2

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that were true, it would conclusively show that the big shots at Paramount have made the jump from being greedy to being stupid. WotC has probably the largest game distribution of ANY RPG maker on the planet. That's WHY they've made enough dough to purchase all these other little companies. That's EXACTLY who you want to have distributing your niche product, because they'll be able to REACH all the little niche markets.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but 90% of hardcore gamers despise Wizards of The Coast.

------------------
"What if, the next time someone tried to pull up a dandelion, it pulled back? What if the dandelion ducked under the blades of the lawnmower?" --Del

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Point taken. A lot of the LUG Trekkers I spoke to were very concerned that WotC was going to "d20'ize" LUG Trek and made it a Class/Level game, which, IMHO, would have ruined it. The LUG Icon d6 system worked perfectly.

Rumor has it that LUG may release several more products before the Jan 1 deadline... but I'm not holding my breath.

Okay, yes I am. Because I DON'T want to have to buy/learn a new system.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps