Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » More Bridge Fun!

Author Topic: More Bridge Fun!
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a few more I sketched up over the last couple days...
http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/Explorer2.jpg http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/Cruiser.jpg http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/Transport.jpg

The Explorer2 bridge was partially inspired by Shik's Gaia design, with the forward consoles flanking the viewer and multiple levels, and partially by a system of waterfalls in a Japanese garden I was once at. I envision this one as a fleet combat kind of bridge, with a necessary Strategic Ops station for fleet coordination and communication. If there's one thing I find odd about this design, is that it's got waaaay too many angles. If it ever gets built, I'll have to remember to bring sandpaper.

The Cruiser bridge is the opposite of the above; it's almost too round. Anyway, I wanted to have the Captain and crew really squished in together to facilitate command decisions, resulting in the final design. The "Aux Sys" console is mostly a monitoring console, and is there for when the captain wants to look at something his chair-mounted mini-displays won't show. He can stand there (almost as if it were the wheelstation on a sailing ship) and give orders without everyone being too far away. One neat thing about both this and the Explorer2 bridges are that the Conference Lounges are forward fo the bridge - gives people a better view of where they're going, rather than where they were.

Finally, the Transport bridge is my minimalist design as far as bridges go. I figure that there really wouldn't be much to do on a cargo freighter, and so the Captain doesn't even have a chair - he'd man the Sensor and Tatical console in combat, were that ever to occur. Otherwise, he'd either man the Ops console himself or come to the bridge only when really necessary for communications or special circumstances, and would man the centre console then.

Thoughts? Opinions? Ego-inflating praise?

Mark

[Edits to remuv speelink ehrrurz]

[This message has been edited by Mark Nguyen (edited February 14, 2001).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Freighter bridge is really quite neat. We've seen alien frieghter bridges, but never any Federation and/or Starfleet, and I think this fits in with everything that has gone before, while maintaing a distinct look. It's cool, and small, and non-cluttered.

The explorer II bridge also rules. It's very angular, which provides a neat, menacing, militaristic, and utilitarian look to it, the reciprocal of a Galaxy-type explorer bridge.

Good work.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"gives people a better veiw of where they're going, rather than where they were"

Not that a forward starfield looks all that different from a rearfacing starfield.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe not, but at warp the stars'd be rushing towards you instead of away from you. That's a switch, at least. Plus, imagine the mosquitoes that'd be splattered all over the forward lounge windows at FTL speeds..!

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We did see a Starfleet freighter in a really bad first-season DS9 episode, IIRC.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definately like the Explorer-2 bridge. Magnus was right, it is functional in appearance. And for those of you that don't have good visualization skills, it gives the bridge a auditorium look. I assume that the main view screen is gimongous, yes?

I'm also curious, what is the size of the Explorer-2 bridge?

------------------
Beverly: "I have a patient here who wishes to see you, captain.
Picard: "Welcome aboard the Enterprise-E, Mr. Worf.
Worf: "Thank you sir. The Defiant?"
Picard: "Adrift, but salvagable."
Riker: "Tough little ship."
Worf: "Little? It's 170 meters long."
Riker: "Don't be rediculous, Worf, everybody knows, after careful study of certain screencaps, that its under 120 meters long."
Worf: "I suppose now you'll tell me it is a Valiant Class vessel?"

[This message has been edited by The Antagonist (edited February 14, 2001).]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

I'm not about to get out my ruler or anything, but I can give you this:
http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/E2-EDComparison.jpg

I did this quick-and-dirty comparison with a Galaxy-class bridge layout I found online. The GCS picture is more than a little inaccurate, but you can get a general idea of the scale of the thing.

And yes, you can see that the main viewer is not big, but HUGE. TV production may restrict the size of the thing on shows (smaller screen = less need for greenscreen on most shots) but here we've no such restrictions here. I've always hated tat about Voyager - the viewscreen is really really tiny, and yet ALL the stations on the bridge are made so everyone can look at it.

Mark

------------------

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coolness! Um, one minor problem I foresee, though. It looks like, despite the huge size of the main viewer, the Mission Ops I & II, Tac II/Security, and Strategic Ops/Comm stations might have some trouble getting a good view. Generally, it might be better to make the forward two stations, (Sci I and Eng.) further recessed than the Tac II and Ops stations. That way no one is blocking anyone's view. The Mission Ops people just won't be able to see anything right next to the viewer like that.

In terms of scale, I always use comparisons to get a feel for the size of a thing. Chairs are generally 2' by 2', doors 3' in width, turbos anywhere from 7' to 10' in diameter, etc. Not like that helps anyone, just a misc. comment.

Anyway, I can't wait to see more of these things!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was inspired enough by these to try my hand at bridge design, but my scanner was not inspired enough to work.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Damn your scanner! Damn it to hell! I command it to work - now! These sketches need company, and YOU WILL PROVIDE! All of you, start sketching NOW!

[ahem]

About viewing the viewer - the M. Ops guys aren't supposed to. They *never* have a good look at the viewscreen, be it on the E-D, Voyager, or Defiant. I guess I'm keeping the tradition.

The Tac II and Strategic Ops guys can look at it if they crane their neck, but they don't really have to - on the Defiant, the Tac people don't get a good look at all. But for my guys, they don't really have to - primary fire control and target tracking / analysis would be handled by the Tac I station, while Tac II would be doing stuff like weapons status, damage control, internal security, etc. The Strategic Ops person would be doing mostly communications and fleet status stuff, and wouldn't use the main vuewer excet to relay fleet communiques or strategic plans or something.

Mark

------------------

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Compared to your bridge, the Galaxy bridge seems small...

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, to prove how much I liked your Explorer2 bridge (and to pacify my obsessive-compulsive tendancies for absolute perfection), I cleaned up your original drawing to the best of my abilities. There may be a few things off, but we'll just call it artistic liscense for now, okay?

http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/ModExplorer2.jpg

------------------
Call me Musashi!!!
-Andy

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Wow, cool! Consider me officially flattered.

And in case anyone was wondering, the little grid things were replicators, and the panels between the forward sets of doors are pretty much like those vertical light panels on the E-D - the ones taht flash the alert colours. Tiny little MSDs could be there too (as on the E-D).

Anyway, a big thank you to Tag for this! It's nifty!

Mark

------------------

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Transport Bridge (90 K)

------------------
"Lately I've noticed that everyone seems to trust me. It's really quite unnerving. I'm still trying to get used to it."
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Alright! Thanks again, Fabrux! S'cool.

Mark

------------------

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps