Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » ST:GQ #08 - "Outpost Sixteen"

Author Topic: ST:GQ #08 - "Outpost Sixteen"
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

STAR TREK:
GAMMA QUADRANT

�OUTPOST SIXTEEN� 008

TEASER

Captain�s Log: Supplemental

We are proceeding at high warp speed to Outpost Sixteen, a joint venture near the wormhole between the Federation, Klingons, Romulans and Dominion. There we hope to rendezvous with the medical ship Curie, which will assume care for my first officer, Lieutenant Commander Melanie Kline, whose condition...is still uncertain.

The Tokyo�s warp engines throbbed with power as they pushed the ship through warp space at several dozen times the speed of light. Connor Macy paced the bridge. He didn�t bother to try and hide his anxiety.

Lieutenant Commander Agnew Thomas sat at the Ops post. He processed what few requests came across his board, but he kept one eye on Macy at all times. Rich Anwar tried to make himself invisible at the helm. Every time Macy asked for an ETA at Outpost Sixteen, Anwar felt Macy�s rage at the answer.

�Time?� Macy snapped.

Anwar barely had to look at his console. He had the ETA running on a small panel at the upper left of the station. �Seventeen hours, fifty-two minutes,� he reported.

�Dammit!� Macy exploded. He spun on one leg and slammed his open palm into the bulkhead.

Lieutenant Commander Cenker Abaci, who was standing at the rear of the bridge, jumped.

�Something wrong?� Macy snapped at him. �Get off my bridge!�

Abaci nodded and ducked into a turbolift.

�Captain...� Thomas said.

�What?� Macy snarled, furious. The Tokyo was capable of over warp nine speeds, and yet was barely moving at warp five. Engineering was still struggling to repair the damage from the Gia�nt attack almost
three months earlier.

�Sir, please,� Thomas said, holding out his hands, palms raised.

Macy saw the gesture and forced himself to relax.

�You have the bridge, Commander,� Macy said. He walked towards the turbolift.

�Aye, sir,� Thomas said.

Macy took the turbolift down towards sickbay. Cheslock was leaning against the wall outside of sickbay.

�How are you holding up, Dieter?� Macy asked. He thought he�d seen some interest between the JAG officers and his XO, but he wasn�t sure.

Cheslock shook his head weakly. Macy knew how he felt.

Macy found Kvach in the sickbay waiting room, where he had spent much time since being rescued from the Horncrest.

�Any word?� Macy asked.

Admiral John Kvach shook his head. �No,� he replied.

Marin emerged from the Critical Ward, where Najam was keeping a close eye on her.

�Ensign...� Macy said.

Marin sighed, but was careful not to make it too apparent. �Yessir?�

�How is she?�

Marin shook his head. �I�m sorry, Captain. We can�t tell. She could go either way.�

The same fuckin� answer he�d been getting for the past two days.

�Sir,� Marin said. He corrected himself. �Sirs. Pardon me for saying so, but you both look like you could use some sleep. I can give you something to help you...�

Macy shook his head. �No thank you, Ensign.�

�Aye, sir,� Marin said. �Admiral?�

Kvach shook his head no.

�Aye, sir. Sirs?�

They both looked at him.

�She won�t get any better or worse just dependent on your both wearing yourselves out here, sirs.�

Marin left.

Kvach sighed. �Connor, I think you�d better promote Mr. Agnew to acting Exec.�

�Yessir,� Macy said.

�I also think Mr. Marin there is correct. Lets get some sleep.�

�Aye, sir,� Macy said, slumping into a chair.

He woke up hours later, in his bed. He rolled over, and Michelle Dasz smiled broadly at him. �How you doing, cowboy?� she asked.

Macy looked up. �Where...?�

�You got into Outpost Sixteen about an hour ago,� Dasz said.

�Melanie...�

�Transfered to our sickbay. We�ve got more modern facilities.�

�The Curie?�

�Still a few hours away.�

Macy shook his head. �Damn.�

Michelle pulled Connor close to him. �There�s nothing you can do. Just relax.�

Connor Macy tried his hardest to do what she told him too.

ACT ONE

Outpost Sixteen spun on its axis. It was an ugly construction, a jumble of docking pylons, living habitats, and storage bays. The various Romulan, Klingon, Dominion and Federation starships docked there
made it look even stranger.

The Tokyo was docked on one of the outermost ports, while the Segur maintained station keeping several dozen kilometers off.

Commnder Agnew Thomas had the bridge watch as Ensign Anwar guided the starship in. When the docking clamps were secure, he gave the order every weary crew loved to hear. �Shut her down, Engineering.�

�Aye, sir,� Stevens said at the engineering post on the bridge.

Anwar tapped his fingers across his console and shut the Helm/Nav station down. Ops, however, was a necessary duty even if the ship was docked. �Conn locked down, Commander,� Anwar reported.

Thomas nodded. �Good. Clear the bridge when systems are locked down.�

Gosvar worked the Ops console, transfering requests for the computer to handle. Operations was a complicated job. The Ops officer was responsible for the ship�s shift schedules, eating schedules, which
science group received use of the sensors, etcetra.

One by one, officers and crew vacated the bridge.

�Mr. Stevens,� Thomas called out to the ensign as he tried to enter the turbolift.

�Yes, sir?� Stevens said, stepping away from the turbolift. The doors closed and whisked a crewmember away.

�Mr. Stevens,� Thomas said, extending his hand. �Lieutenant Blair and I went over your record. As you know, there�s an opening for a promotion in the engineering department.�

�Yes, sir,� Stevens said, excitment rising within.

�I don�t know you very well, Jason, but Karen speaks very highly of you. Congratulations, Lieutenant.�

Stevens smiled. �Thank you, Commander.�

Thomas handed him a tiny black box. Stevens opened it to see it contained a hollow silver pip.

�Do you need help?� Thomas asked.

�No, sir,� Stevens said, pinning it to the collar of his turtleneck. "Thank you, sir.�

�Don�t thank me -- I went along with Karen�s recomendation.�

�Yessir,� Stevens said, nodding.

Turbolift doors opened, and Commander Abaci stepped out. �Commander?�

Thomas saw him. �One second, Cenker.�

Stevens walked to the turbolift. �Congratulations, Lieutenant,� Abaci said.

�Thank you, sir.�

When Stevens was gone, Abaci handed Thomas a padd with orders. �Its authorization for three month leave for Melanie Kline when she recovers.�

�Shouldn�t Macy sign off on these?�

�Kvach did,� Abaci said. �But Kline is going to be gone for about four and a half months or so. You�ve just gotten yourself the Executive Officer post on the Tokyo.�

�Why don�t I feel good about that?� Agnew Thomas slumped into the chair at the science post. �She should never have stood. I should�ve stopped her.�

Cenker frowned. �Look, Agnew, there was nothing you could�ve done. And you can�t beat yourself over the head about it.�

Agnew shrugged. �Maybe.�

�Well, you�ve got new trouble,� Cenker said. �You�ve got to find yourself an Ops officer.�

The airlock cycled into the bulkhead.

Standing to one side, Klingon Liason Officer Colonel Koehrig and Second Lieutenant Kazl waited patiently. All of the Tokyo crew had been approved for shore leave, and all were anxious to take it. It took a very long time for them to disembark, leaving perhaps twenty officers and crew aboard.

Two Klingon warriors appeared in the airlock, and stepped aside.

General Kaznar, one of few Heroes of the Empire, stepped onto the Tokyo.

�General!� Koehrig said, forming a fist, slamming into his chest and holding his arm out. Kazl did the same, and Kaznar followed suit. Kaznar was the Commanding Officer of the Klingon forces in the Gamma
Quadrant.

�Colonel, you promised me a tour of this...� Kaznar eyed the bulkhead. The ship showed its age
�...vessel,� he finished.

�Yes, sir,� Koehrig said. �We�ll start with the bridge.�

Kaznar eyed the Starfleet security officer standing post, a phaser on her side. He tilted his chin at her. �Who are you?� he asked.

�Ensign Pierson, sir,� she replied.

�And you are here...to guard me?�

�Yessir,� she said.

�Purpose?� Kaznar said.

Pierson eyed him. �Sir, I�m here to make sure you don�t cause trouble.�

Kaznar laughed. �I like you! I like you! She�s got spunk! Let us continue, Colonel.�

Will Lidic �happened� to be on the bridge when the tour arrived. It wasn�t accidental by any means. When Koehrig had cleared the tour with Commander Thomas, Thomas had gone to Gosvar and Nadell and made sure to have security men onboard at key locations.

Pierson walked over to Lidic while Koehrig showed Kaznar the bridge.

�How are you and Kim doing?�

�Well...� Lidic said.

�Leave coming up, right?�

�Three weeks worth.�

�Taking it?�

�Thinking of it.�

�You�re a cute couple.�

�Thank you.�

�Slept with her, yet?�

�WHAT?�

Kaznar turned his head. �Something wrong...ensigns?�

�No,� Lidic said, covering. �Just...nothing.�

Kaznar frowned, then turned back to Koehrig�s tour.

Lidic glared at Eve Pierson. �You are such...�

Eve smiled. �I know. Aren�t I?�

Lieutenant Nadell frowned at the chronometer. They were thirty minutes late.

�Maybe they�re not going to show,� Proske shrugged.

Nadell shook his head. �Don�t say that.�

�How do you know that guy in there?� Proske asked, nodding at the brig. Inside, former Ensign Joe Filteau, a graduate of Starfleet�s Officer Candidate School, waited for a security team from the outpost to
take custody of him.

�We served together, right out of the Academy. I was an Acting Ensign -- I missed my last six months of the Academy. He was out of OCS, and we were on the Allentown, this tiny old cruiser. Got the tar beat out of us fighting for Cardassia -- lost most of the crew.�

�Small ship?�

�Very. Crew of...thirty, I�d say. What was Skip�s name? I can�t think of it. Waler, or...well, something like that.�

Three men stepped around the corridor. �Lieutenant Nadell?�

Nadell looked up. He couldn�t believe his eyes. �Umm...yes?�

A Vorta met his gaze. �I am Yesoul, Chief of Security for Outpost Sixteen.�

Behind the Vorta, a Starfleet lieutenant and a Romulan centurion waited. Yesoul nodded to the Starfleet officer behind him. The lieutenant stepped forward. �It�s true. I�m Lieutenant Patrick Hunt,� the man said. �Outpost Sixteen is a true joint operation.�

�And you�re the second in charge?�

Hunt shook his head. �That would be Centurion Balvis here.�

Balvis nodded his head. �Where is our prisoner, Lieutenant?�

Nadell opened the door to the brig. �In here, Centurion.�

Filteau looked up in shock as a Vorta and a Romulan came to take him away. �What the hell is this?� he screamed.

�You will be silent,� Yesoul said. �Or you will die.�

Filteau�s eyes widened, but he closed his mouth. Ensign Mo Ilyas dropped the force shield, and the Centurion grabbed Filteau�s arms and locked him into restraints.

�The Hood will be coming to collect him next week,� Yesoul said. �There are a few other prisoners awaiting.�

�Like who?� Nadell asked. He laughed. �This is wierd.�

�What is?�

�You. Me. Talking like allies.�

Yesoul nodded. �Yes. I�ve heard the sentiment often. The war has been over for almost a year now, Lieutenant. We...both our peoples, all our peoples, must learn to...�

�Coexist?� Proske snorted and walked away.

Yesoul watched him go. �Did he lose someone?�

�What?� Nadell asked.

�During the war. Did he lose someone?�

�His wife,� Nadell said. �She died the day before the war ended.�

Yesoul shook his head. �Tragic. You? Did you lose someone?�

Nadell nodded. �Yeah.�

�Close to...her, him?�

�Her,� Nadell said. �We were close. She was on the Zoliborz. Her ship was attacked by two Breen raiders. No survivors.�

Yesoul nodded. �It may not mean much, Lieutenant. But I am sorry.�

Nadell looked up. �You know, she�s been gone a year. It doesn�t feel like that long.� He extended his hand.

Yesoul reached out and grabbed Nate�s. �Godspeed to you, Lieutenant.�

�Thank you.�

Nate�s combadge chimed. �This is Captain Macy, senior officers and Lieutenant Nadell to the briefing room.�

�Well,� Nadell said.

�Make sure to come to Outpost Sixteen,� Yesoul said. �I think you will like it.�

�Thank you.�

ACT TWO

Connor Macy sat in the front seat in the briefing room. Commander Thomas was already in, and the other officers filed in. Dr. Najam came next, followed by Lieutenants Blair and Kwei, then Lieutenant Gosvar,
and finally Lieutenant Nadell. Macy motioned them to sit.

�We�ve undergone some changes recently. Lieutenant Bach has been reassigned, and Commander Thomas has been assigned as his replacement. Our first officer, Commander Kline, has been seriously injured, and will
be absent for the next six months,� Macy said. He sighed.

�Commander Thomas, I hereby promote you to acting Executive Officer.�

�Yes, sir,� Thomas said.

�Mr. Gosvar?�

�Aye, sir?�

�You are hereby promoted o Operations Officer.�

�Sir, I...�

�Lieutenant, that�s where I need you.�

�Aye, sir,� the Andorian said.

�Mr. Nadell? With Mr. Gosvar as Ops Officer, I need a Chief of Security. Congratulations.�

�Thank you, sir,� Nadell said, taken aback.

�Okay,� Macy said, slapping his palms on the table. �That�s about it. All the changes to the command staff. Now, I am planning on having
a nice, quiet dinner on Outpost Sixteen with Captain Dasz. Do not disturb me -- I don�t care if the anti-matter core is about to explode. And make sure to get off this ship -- get some leave people, while we have the chance. Carry on.�

�Aye, sir!� the voices chorused.

�Oh! Captain!�

Even on Outpost Sixteen he couldn�t get away from Kvach! Connor Macy turned his head. Beside him, Michelle Dasz watched. They had been hoping for a quiet dinner for two, but apparently that was too much to hope for.

Admiral Kvach, flanked by Commander Abaci and Lieutenant Masciallo, hurried towards Macy.

�Yes, Admiral?�

�Captain...good news.�

�Yes, sir?�

�President Molgarva will be visiting here in about two weeks.�

It took Macy�s best effort to keep the smile on his face. �Excuse me?�

�And he wants to tour the Tokyo.�

�The...Tokyo.�

�Yes.�

�Why?�

Kvach shrugged. �It is not ours to reason why...�

�Just...do or die,� Michelle finished in a whisper.

�I�ll speak to both of you later about this. It�s a big deal.�

�Yes, sir.�

�Aye, sir.�

�Well, I�ve got to go meet with a Romulan Admiral.�

�Have fun, sir.�

Kvach walked off.

Macy rolled his eyes.

�The President! Coming here?� Dasz sounded excited.

�Did you vote for him?� Macy asked.

Dasz nodded. �I know him -- vaguely. Took a class he taught at the Academy when I was at Command School.�

A Starfleet crewman hurried up. �Excuse me, Captain?�

Macy turned his head. He recongized one of his senior most enlisted men, Adam Grishman. �Yes, Master Chief?�

Grishman saw Dasz. �I�m sorry, Captain. I can speak to you at another point.�

�Nonsense, Chief. What can I do for you?�

�Sir,� Grishman began. �I�ve become aware of a program to give senior enlisted officers their commissions.�

�I�ve heard of it,� Macy said.

�Sir, an enlisted man needs the good word of his commanding officer, and I was wondering...�

�Chief, you�ll make a fine officer. See me tommorow morning, and I�ll write you the recomendation.�

Grishman smiled. �Aye, aye, sir. Thank you.�

�I hadn�t heard of that program,� Michelle said as Macy led her into a Romulan Cuisine resteraunt on the main promenade. The Romulan maitre�de eyed the two Captains, and then showed them to a table. It turned out it was the resteraunt�s first day open, and they were the first customers (the maitre�de expressed surprise that his first customers were humans).

�Nice atmosphere,� Macy said, looking around the resteraunt. �The program...the enlisted men recieving commissions? Admiral...what�s his name? Bistner, I think.�

Dasz nodded. �Not Jorge Bistner?�

�That�s him,� Macy said. �You know him?�

Dasz smiled. �He recruited me. Into the Academy. He was only a Commander then, though. How long ago was that?� She asked herself. �I was seventeen -- almost eighteen, so fifteen years ago, I guess.�

�And now look at you,� Macy smiled. �Captain of one of the most powerful warships in the fleet.�

Dasz shook her head. �Connor...it�s not a warship.�

Macy smiled as he realized his mistake. �No, it�s not. But...�

�Old habits die hard?� Michelle leaned forward and took his hand. �It�s been a long few years. The conflicts with the Klingons, then the War with the Dominion...but we�re lucky, Connor. We have a chance to explore, what�s the line that those old history professors drilled into us? �To boldly go where no one has gone before.� Here we are -- with this wonderful chance to explore. Sure, its dangerous, but when has it been anything else? Back home, everyone�s rebuilding, or occupying our former enemy's territory. There�s no chance for exploration -- there
aren�t enough ships.�

�How can someone so young -- and beautiful? -- be so smart?� Connor asked.

�I�m not young,� Michelle said. �Not after the past few years.�

�You still look it.�

�Liar.�

�Here�s looking at you, good looking.�

A frown. �What?�

�Oh, some old movie I borrowed from one of my officers. I think I got the line right.�

�You are such an old...�

�Fart?� A sad smile.

Michelle looked at him. �What...?�

Connor shook his head. �It�s what Elli used to say. When he was young, and I was home on leave. �Daddy, you�re such...�� his voice cracked, and he let his head sag. Michelle reached out.

�Oh, Connor...�

�I�m okay,� he said after a minute.

�Connor, I don�t want to tell you what to do...but...�

�Go on,� Connor said.

�I think you should try and settle things with Elli. He�s the only family you�ve got, and...�

�Jacob.�

Michelle looked at him. �Connor...Jacob might be alive. But...he could be dead. He�s probably dead.�

Connor shook his head. �He�s alive. I know he is.�

�Connor...�

�No,� he stood, a note of anger in his voice. �I�m sorry, this isn�t going to work.�

He walked out of the resteraunt. �CONNOR!�

�He doesn�t like Romulan food?� the maitre�de asked, walking up behind Dasz.

�Dammit,� Michelle replied softly.

�Welcome aboard, Captain,� Proske said, guarding the airlock.

Macy didn�t answer verbally, he nodded briskly to the security man and boarded the Tokyo. The ship was nearly deserted. The corridors were empty and darkened.

�Captain!� a voice boomed. Macy frowned. He recognized the voice, but he couldn�t place it. He turned...and his anger, already mellowing, vanished. �Mister Soeparta.�

Macy smiled and extended his hand, shaking Mede Soeparta�s. �Five weeks, huh?�

�Sorry, sir,� the senior Lieutenant replied. �Turned out to be more like three months.�

�Yes, it did. Plus travel time. You�ve been gone awhile, Lieutenant. We�ve had a lot of changes aboard.�

�Like what, sir?�

Macy clapped him on the shoulder. �I�ll explain later. I see you�re no longer a junior grade.�

�No, sir. Full lieutenant. I�m your new Flight Officer.�

�Hmmm?�

�Lead pilot, sir.�

�Of the Shark-Fighter, right? How many did you bring me?�

�Four.�

�Better than nothing,� Macy shrugged. �Okay, Lieutenant. Stow your stuff, and enjoy some R&R on Outpost Sixteen. I�ll meet with you later.�

�Aye, sir,� Soeparta said.

Macy hurried to his quarters. �Computer, record message.�

�Recording,� the woman�s voice said.

�Elli, it�s your father. I know you don�t want to speak with me, but I wanted to send you a letter and let you know what I�ve been up to. I�m in command a starship in the Gamma Quadrant -- it�s a research mission. It is one of the first steps to building peace with the Dominion. I�m sorry I wasn�t at your moth...Karine�s...funeral. I didn�t find out that she and Elizabeth had died until the end of the war. Elli, I hope you reply to this message, but I understand if you don�t. Happy eighteenth birthday, son.� Connor Macy took a deep breath. �Computer,
end message. Transmit to Elli Macy, care of Emerson College, Boston, Earth.�

�Transmitted,� the computer said.

�Open a channel to the Segur.�

The face of Commander Sutton appeared. �Yes, Captain?� his voice was neutral.

�I�m looking for Michelle Dasz.�

Sutton shook his head. �Sorry, sir. She left strict instructions not to be disturbed.�

�Commander...�

�Sorry, sir,� Sutton said. �The orders were explicit. Can I leave her a message?�

�No, thank you.� Macy sighed.

Nadell looked up as the doors to his cabin entered. �Yes?� he said. A smile spread on his face. �Well, well...Mede.�

�How are you, Nate?� Soeparta asked, tossing his bag on a char. �Listen, you�re going to have to move out.�

�Why?�

Soeparta tapped his rank pins. �I�m a full lieutenant, and Flight Officer. A member of the senior staff.�

�Well,� Nadell said. �I guess I would. Except...�

�Except...?�

�I�m the new Chief of Security. So you�ll have to move out.�

�No shit,� Soeparta shook his head. �I�ve been a few months, and...the whole command staff gets shifted.�

�Yeah. Crazy stuff.�

�What happened?�

�You mean...you don�t know?�

�I just got back. What happened to Gosvar?�

�He�s still here,� Nadell said.

�So...where�s Gosvar?�

�He�s the new Operations Officer.�

�So...what�s Bach doing?�

�Transfered to the Mustone. Um...accusation of rank abuse with Arial Grass.�

�Uhhh. So Gosvar got moved to Ops, huh?�

�Not directly,� Nadell said. �We got a new second officer, Commander Agnew Thomas.�

�So...how did Gosvar...�

�We did an interdiction of a freighter we thought was carrying White,� Nadell explained. �The boarding party I was a member of was captured. Commander Kline was leading it. In the rescue, she was shot.�

�She�s DEAD?�

�NO! But she�s in sickbay on the Segur. Bad shape. She�ll be out of commission for the next few months, I think. Thomas got promoted to XO, Gosvar got
Ops, and I got security.�

�Good for you.�

Nadell sighed. �I tell you, man. I�d give it all up for...�

Soeparta shrugged. �Yeah.�

ACT THREE

The Jem�Hadar stabbed out and lanced Ensign Biedro through the face. The ensign stumbled aside, and more Jem�Hadar charged forward. One swung with his blade, slicing through Blair�s knee, severing her lower
left leg. As she fell forward, the soldier took a step forward and brought his staff towards her head...

NOT AGAIN! Karen Blair sat up in bed, soaked in sweat which poured down her face. The room in Outpost Sixteen�s hotel was a nice change from her quarters on the Tokyo.

I need to see Dr. Najam, she thought. But she dismissed that idea quickly. Going to the doctor would reveal her addiction...

She was caught between a rock and a hard place.

Melanie Kline�s face was void of emotion.

Captain Connor Macy, Dr. Amir Najam, and Lieutenant Si Kwei stood in the Critical Care area of sickbay. van Horn and Marin waited along the wall. The i>Curie was not long out, coming from a mission of mercy to aid
a Dominion protectorate, the Kenlathtii, who were suffering from a rare outbreak of a local disease.

�She�s feeling nothing,� Najam assured Macy.

�Doesn�t make me feel better,� Macy murmmered.

�The prognosis is good,� Najam offered. �And Dr. Gaines is a well qualified medical officer. One of the best.�

�I hope she is,� Macy whispered.

Si reached out and took Melanie�s hand. �Get well, Mel,� she said.

�She�ll be back soon,� Macy said with confidence.

�You sure of that, sir?� Kwei asked.

Macy shook his head. �No, I�m not. But we can hope, Lieutenant.�

�Yes, sir,� Kwei said.

A few minutes later, the Segur's transporter chief connected. �Sir, the Curie reports they are ready to transport.�

Macy nodded. �Whenever they�re ready, ensign.�

Melanie Kline�s body shimmered and vanished in transporter energy.

�Godspeed, Melanie,� Macy whispered.

Najam clapped his old shipmate on the back. �She�ll be fine.� He walked out of the room, followed by Marin. When Kwei had left, van Horn approached Macy. �Captain?�

�Yes,� Macy replied.

�Sir...do you remember those orders you gave me?�

�Sir, our hull should not have been comprimised.�

�What are you saying?� Macy was intrigued.

�Looking at the amount of damage a Gia�nt torpedo can cause, the strength of our shields should have been enough to protect the Tokyo. There is something wrong with our hull.�

�What do you mean -- something wrong with the hull?�

Van Horn spread her arms. �I�m not sure, sir. I�m sorry, I think a lot of this might be a gut instinct -- but our hull should not have collapsed like that. They should be strong enough. Unless...�

Macy knew where she was going, but he wanted her to say it. �Unless...� he prodded.

�Unless the repair crews missed it.�

�Or...?�

�Or...they covered it up. But why would they do that?�

To get the ship in service faster, Macy realized. �Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Ensign. I�m about to give you a strange
order, but it is neccessary for you to follow it.�

�Yes, sir.�

�Forget this conversation took place. Do not mention your suspicions to any other members of the crew except for myself. I want you to -- discreetly -- study the hull. Make sure everything is regulation.�

�Yes, I do, Ensign.�

�Sir, this ship should not be in service.� She handed him two padds and a couple of isolinear chips.
�Everything is on here. Substandard materials were used to patch the port lower hull...the whole ship is a
mess, sir.�

Macy sighed. �Thank you, good work.�

�Yes, sir.�

�Dismissed.�

�Yes, sir.�

�van Horn?�

�Sir?�

�You�re out of uniform...�

�Um...Sir?�

�Lieutenant.�

�Sir!� A smile. �Yes, sir.�

Fifteen minutes later, Admiral John Kvach perused the information van Horn had collected. When he had finished, he looked at Macy. �This is going straight to Admiral Weinstein,� he promised. Vice-Admiral Howard Weinstein was the director of the Office of Starship Upkeep.

�Thank you, Admiral,� Macy said.

�Who oversaw the refit?�

�A Commander Vincennes. Ashley Station.�

�Well...we�ll see about him,� Kvach tapped his badge. �Commander Abaci, I need a secure line to Admiral Doughty at CID.�

�Yes, sir.�

The Secret Service agent had been undercover aboard the Tokyo since the ship departed from DS9 for the Gamma Quadrant. He was leaning against a
corridor bulkhead. He was on leave, but he wasn�t on the Outpost.

Lieutenant Kazl came around the corner. Behind him, Colonel Koehrig followed with General Kaznar. Two bodyguards followed. �Thank you, Colonel,� Kaznar said. �Very intereasting tour.�

�Thank you, General,� the Colonel replied.

It wasn�t much, but the Secret Service agent saw Kazl and Kaznar exchange a shared look. And he remembered what he had overheard between the two in Quark's Bar ...

�Plans are in motion that will restore the Klingon Empire to the pinnacle of success!�

Soeparta�s hand gripped the slender flight stick. The Shark-Fighter was a very compact vessel, and Macy felt like he was going to be crushed. The cockpit held two officers, one behind the other, and there was a small compartment in the back with a bunk and a table.

The Shark-Fighter spun around the ships docked at Outpost Sixteen.

�You doing okay back there, Captain?�

�Just fine, Lieutenant!� Macy leaned over Soeparta�s flight seat. He was watching closely what Soeparta did to control the fighter. He knew he couldn�t fly it as well as the trained pilot, but he hoped to do well enough if he needed to.

�One more pass, Captain?�

�Go for it, Lieutenant!�

�Aye, sir!�

ACT FOUR

�No, thank you, Commander Sutton. Please have her contact me.�

Tom Sutton nodded. �Certainly, Captain.�

The image on the viewscreen blinked off. Captain Connor Macy was alone on the bridge. He groaned and rubbed the bridge of his nose. He wasn�t having any luck contacting Michelle. He�d been a real jackass to her, and he hoped he would get the chance to apologize.

Macy pulled up a report on a padd and examined it. The turbolift doors opened and Gosvar emerged. �Oh, Captain!�

�Hello, Mr. Gosvar.�

�I didn�t mean to disturb you, sir,� Gosvar said.

�No apology needed, Lieutenant.�

�Yes, sir.� He sat at the Ops station and began working it.

�Still trying to get the hang of it, Lieutenant?�

�Aye, sir.� Gosvar said.

�It�ll get easier with practice.�

�Yessir. Were you ever an Ops officer, sir?�

�Hmmm?� Macy asked. �Oh. I was a relief Ops and Conn on the Pathfinder.�

�GAWSSOG, right, sir?�

�That�s right. What were you? Delta or Rangers?�

�Aye, sir. Starfleet Rangers.�

�Did you know Commander Thommen?�

�Of him, sir. I never had the opportunity to meet him before he...�

�He was my first year roomate at the Academy.�

�Really, sir? He is...was...a legend in the Ranger community.�

�Why�d you stop?�

�Stop, sir?�

�Leave the Rangers. Why? I don�t mean to pry, Lieutenant.�

�After the Silverman incident, sir,� Gosvar said. �The survivors were all moved into different duties. I chose ship security.�

�Good choice, Lieutenant. Do you like Ops?�

Gosvar nodded. �It�s...different, sir. Sir...I have a question.�

�Yes?�

�Sir, with Commander Kline gone, and Commander Thomas the XO, who is the second officer?�

Macy looked up, turning his full attention to Gosvar. �That�s a good question, Lieutenant. I don�t believe I have one.�

Gosvar swivled in the Ops lounge to face Macy. �Sir, I�d like...well, I�d be intereasted in the position, sir.�

Macy glanced at him. �It�s not that easy, Mr. Gosvar. You haven�t passed your Command Certification review, have you?�

�No, sir.�

�You need to pass that. Good thing we�re at the base. Contact Commander Abaci. He can get you that information,� Macy said.

�Aye, sir. Thank you, sir.�

�Mr. Gosvar?�

�Sir?�

�Good luck.�

�Thank you, sir.� Gosvar frowned at his station. �Sir, the Snowflake is approaching the station.�

�That would be Captain Conrad,� Macy said. �Did you meet him at that briefing on the Segur?�

�No, sir,� Gosvar said.

�He�s an intereasting person,� Macy confirmed.

The Snowflake was a Saber-Class starship, the name descended from the Royal British navy. The ship moved into stationary rotation around Outpost Sixteen, a few miles off the bow of a bird-of-prey.

�There�s another ship dropping out of warp,� Gosvar said. �A Jem�Hadar warship.�

The hairs on the back of Macy�s neck stood on end.

�It�s a diplomatic ship,� Gosvar said. �And it is moving in to docking approach.�

Macy nodded. �Kvach said that the Founders were sending a representative. They want to cede the area around the wormhole to the Federation Alliance.�

�I wonder how they�ll work that.�

�That�s what they�re here for,� Macy said, standing. �You have the ship. I�ll be on the Outpost.�

�Aye, sir.�

Ensign Ilyas looked up as Lieutenant Blair entered the security office. �Hello, Lieutenant,� he said.

Blair looked at him. �Oh!� she jumped. �I didn�t realize there was anyone on duty here.�

�Round the clock,� Ilyas sighed, glancing at the chronometer on the bulkhead. �What can I do for you, Lieutenant?�

She was caught for words. �I wanted to see Ensign Owusu�s effects. I was going to send them to his family.�

Ilyas nodded. He was perusing yet another Daniel McLoughlin novel. �They�re in the security lockers,� he said, pointing into an adjoining room. �Umm...B/A-3, I think.�

�Thanks,� Blair said. The ensign stayed at the desk and read his novel. Blair cursed -- now she had to send Owusu�s effects home! She gathered his personal belongings. They had been gathered and catalouged
by security officers, and waited to be shipped home to Earth. Blair turned after gathering them, and opened the locker in which several dozen vials of contraband White were stored. It had been locked, but Blair used a coded lock-picker to defeat that. She grabbed three vials (that would be enough for awhile, she hoped) and hurried out of the security office. �Thanks, Ensign.�

�Yeah, sure,� he replied, not bothering to look up.

How little he knew that would cost him in the coming weeks.

Commander Abaci handed Macy the data padd. �The itinerary for President Molgrava�s visit.�

Macy took it. �Thank you.�

Abaci glanced up. A Vorta was walking towards them. Kvach, Kaznar, SubAdmiral Broka, and the Founder Representative, were meeting in the command area.

The Vorta approached Macy. �Are you Captain Connor Macy?� he inquired.

Macy nodded. �I am.�

�I�ve heard much about you, sir. May I speak with you in private?�

Abaci took the hint. �Thank you, Captain. Admiral Kvach will want to speak with you once you�ve reviewed that.�

When Abaci was gone, the Vorta introduced himself. �My name is Yesoul,� he said. �Captain, I understand that you lost a son during the war.�

�That�s correct,� Macy said, his voice catching.

�Off the Thomas Stone.�

�Yes,� Macy�s voice was turning hard.

�Captain, unbenkownst to the Great Link, several founders were... displeased...with the way Odo has been running things. You are aware of this, I take it?�

�I am,� Macy replied. "The 'True Dominion.'"

�Hmmm. There are close to two thousand Alpha Quadrant prisoners of war alive on a remote gulag in their space.�

�What?�

�Your son is believed to be among them,� Yesoul said. �Please understand our situation. Asking Jem�Hadar to attack other Jem�Hadar is... well, questionable. It is believed there are Founders on the
world, and the Jem�Hadar will not attack them, even if they are rogue.�

�Why are you telling me this?�

Yesoul looked at him. �Because I was ordered to.�

�By who?�

Yesoul turned and walked away. He stopped, and looked back. �By Odo,� he said.

Thoughts? Opinions? Only feedback keeps me writing Make sure to check out the site for the first four eps, and the other two eps here on Flare.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.64 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with six eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
And homeschooling also turns you into a socially well-adjusted person, capable of talking to people without them wanting to ram a f***ing chair down your throat! - PsyLiam, 3/11/01

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As with all shows, the first few episodes usually aren't all that great. But these most recent eps are pretty good! I'm really interested in seeing how this White addiction will play out.

I give it 9/10 smilies

------------------
"Let's make sure history never forgets the name... Enterprise"
- Alternate Picard, "Yesterday's Enterprise"

Right
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*!wow!*

------------------
"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make them my friends?" - Abraham Lincoln

"America is a large, friendly dog in a very small room. Every time it wags its tail it knocks over a chair." - Arnold Toynbee

"Fighting for peace is like f***ing for virginity." - Anonymous

"Our bombs are smarter than [George W. Bush]. At least they can find Kuwait." - A. Whitney Brown

IP: Logged
Nonsuch
Ex-Member

you've hooked me with the last few episodes. I can't wait for the next one!
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nonsuch, have you surfed over to the Gamma Quadrant webpage, by chance? These are actually the latest three, and the first five (the pilot I tend to count as two) can be found by following the link in my sig.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)

Nonsuch
Ex-Member

I tried, but it crashed MSIE (which, of course, takes the OS with it when it goes down).

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

So? What? No-one else read this? Read it. Did you like it? Yes or no? FEEDBACK, PEOPLE! FEEDBACK!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps