Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Damn. How can I make kick ass drawings of my designs?

Author Topic: Damn. How can I make kick ass drawings of my designs?
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw quite a few very nicely done drawings of ships on tis board including the drawing of the Pioneer. How can I make kick ass drawings like that?

------------------
"We have to get drunk immediately."----Gattaca

IP: Logged
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Print some out, get a piece of tracing paper...

Just kidding. When it comes to me though, I draw inspiration from Rick Sternbach's and John Eave's starship artwork.

For the most part all starships are the same. My suggestion is to take those basic concepts and work around them. Rearrange parts or whatever to fit the idea in your head. Sounds a little like kitbashing come to think of it.

But if you're one of those people that can't draw a straight line then I don't know what to say.

------------------
"Let me ask you something, Mr. Garibaldi, a purely philosophical question. On a scale of 1 to 10, how stupid do you think I am anyway?" - Bester
Federation Starship Datalink: Brand new look, fresh minty scent, same great taste!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do many sketches, do loads of them. Don't be shy, if you try and draw a finished design from the start you'll end up drawing veeery slowly and carefully and the paper will be torn from erasing every time you change your mind.
Also, try and change angles. You won't believe how hard it can be to make a 3D-model out of a poorly drawn schematic.

To find inspiration you can try anything, I once saw a beautiful trashcan lid in the city, it looked like an Excelsior/Ambassador saucer hybrid. Toilet seats too, all those lovely items.

------------------
"Babies haven't any hair;
old men's heads are just as bare;
between the cradle and the grave
lies a haircut and a shave."

Samuel Hoffenstein

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Random cloud formations have also provided me with the basics for more than one starship design.

To make a final drawing, I do a pencil sketch, scan it, then trace over it in Photoshop using alot of stroked curves and the pen tool.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try using a vector-based design app (FreeHand or Illustrator).

I've done lots of schematics - and I would have given up without the "undo" command.

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to know how you get a good design from paper to the computer without making it look like a big blur.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scan it...?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure. Wanna lend me your scanner ... ?

Just kidding. This is what happenes when I don't get enough sleep.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Step 1: Scan preliminary artwork.
Step 2: Place graphic tif in Illustrator - place in background layer - lock it. Draw on top.

Assuming that you have sketches of all views, scaling them equally and aligning them will drive you to distraction - but it is well worth it.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps