Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Star Trek Athena --- The Gate Pt 7-8

Author Topic: Star Trek Athena --- The Gate Pt 7-8
crobato
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Star Trek Athena-The Gate Pt 7

The short seconds seem to go on like forever. Garret watched the prone figure of Helen Shiner on the patient�s cot in the sick bay. The green light from the scanner ran over her forward and backward, forward and backward.

Athena sighed. �She has stabilized. There are still rogue Borg nanoprobes in her, but the reprogrammed nanoprobes have already outnumbered them. We can say the threat has not yet been completely eliminated, but it has been contained.�

�Subtle wordings have a lot of meaning. Just tell me in plain English, is she all right?� Garret asked.

�She will be fine,� Athena replied.

Shiner turned her head towards Athena. Her hands began to explore her face, and she touched one of the starlike outgrowths in her skin. �Oh my, I never thought it would be this way. For a moment, I could hear the voices, the multitude of voices that must make up the Borg collective. They were all calling me, all trying to drown me in a sea of voices.�

�Then I thought of trying to drown these voices using thoughts and memories. I keep thinking in my head�music. Classical music, then rock music...�

�It can be interesting to know that the universe can be saved with heavy metal,� Garret chided.

�These are elements of Earth�s most individualistic cultures,� Shiner said. She looked to Athena, her seizures indicating her ideal is far from over. �You got to hold the fort for me now. Athena, download all my databases regarding the Borg to your memory banks. The password is Alpha Two Niner Zeta Zero Four. We have contained the Nexus, disabled all self destruct mechanisms, and the first Diamond has been knocked out. We�re not going to win a shooting war with the second Diamond. You have to come in, penetrate and use the Vinculum in the Nexus to access the section collective inside the Diamond and disable them.�

�Not going to be easy,� Athena said. �My hologram has a limited range. Maybe I can try to access the Vinculum through the ship itself.�

�Or we can beam the entire Vinculum into the ship,� Garret said.

His communicator started beeping. �What is it?� Garret asked.

�Captain, we have a situation here,� T�pak said. �Subspace interference is rising.�

�Athena, meet me on the bridge,� Garret said.

�Right Captain!�

�Athena, Captain, be careful. The Diamond is capable of computer override attacks against your ship computer systems,� Shiner reminded.

He ran quickly to the turbo lifts and from there back to the bridge. As always, Athena is always instantly anywhere.

Garret saw the stalemate battle in his screen. The Federation ships buzz by back and forth, shooting phasers and torpedoes at the Diamond. The Diamond had previously replied back with its energy beams, and would occasionally attempt a holding beam. . All the ships seem to be dangerously thin on shields from repetitive hits.

Boussard was in a conference window on screen. �Garret! We have the Borg ship on the run. Get your ass in here and start shooting! ... � The picture suddenly turned blank.

�What happened? Did Boussard cut us off?� Garret asked.

Athena suddenly frowned, her hands on her head. Suddenly she stood up shouting, �No! No! No!�

�What�s happening, Athena?� Garret shouted in deep concern.

�The Diamond...� She pointed her shaky finger on the screen. �It�s trying to access my computer banks. Trying to access all our computer banks...trying to override the computers...�

�Dammit, lock on the Diamond. Arm and fire all weapons!� Garret ordered.

�You better curse again, Captain. Our weapons are not responding...� Ka�nal said.

Athena fell on her knees, her hands struggling with the pain in her head. �No...No...No!� She cried.

A window appeared. It was Boussard. �Mayday! Mayday! We have lost control of the ship. Our computer has been overridden. The Borg got a holding beam on us, and we�re being boarded. Self destruct is not possible. Our computer systems are not responding! We are going fight them to the last inch of our ground here.�

Screen magnification showed a horrible sight. Tthe Diamond held the Hiryu with a beam, the Hiryu trapped like a wounded animal about to be devoured. The Hiryu drifted closer and closer to the Diamond, but continuing to fire valiantly at the monster that draws it. There was a weakening in the Diamond�s shields, a small opportunity to use transporters.

�We got a transporter signature. The Hiryu has just transported the Trojans into the Diamond,� T�pak said.

The Diamond turned quiet, letting the Hiryu drift powerlessly, turning on its axis. The multiple Lights along the hull diminished, like a city going to sleep. Then suddenly the lights went back, and the beam reactivated, grabbing the Hiryu once more.

�This can�t be right. The Diamond is back once more,� Ka�nal said. �The Trojans have no effect.�

�I have confirmation, the Diamond is once again operational,� T�pak said. �I repeat the Diamond is once again operational.�

�And the Trojan drones? The Borg adapted?� Garret asked. �Jeez ,it is as if you have to come up with a weapon for the minute against the Borg or something, they have a countermeasure the next minute.�

Boussard�s face popped up in a small conference window. �The Trojan drones have failed. Our situation is hopeless. Most of my crews have been assimilated. We�re holding out in the bridge using localized force fields. We cannot even self destruct due to the override of our computers. We are making a request to anyone who still has a capable ship. Please destroy us. We would rather die than be assimilated.�

�We are currently the nearest ship to the Hiryu. Many of the other ships have either disabled or disengaged,� Ka�nal said. �Boussard knew exactly what the risks are in the mission and what are his alternatives. If the Hiryu is assimilated it would easily turn against us, and it would be most difficult to engage a Borg refitted Akira class ship.�

Garret hesitated. Is this the right thing to do? He hesitated before against the killing of helpless drones, and he had hesitated against the killing of assimilated Star Fleet officers. Boussard is not a likeable person, but Garret had no wish to kill any Star Fleet officer no matter how unlikeable or annoying.

�Is there any other alternative?� Garret asked.

�You must choose,� Ka�nal said. �And you must choose quickly.�

�No! If there is still a slim chance of rescuing them, we will take it!� Garret exclaimed.

Athena grimaced as she spoke. �The Borg network is trying to override our computers, but I think we can fight fire with fire. By opening their links to us in the attempt to override, they have also exposed themselves to us. I am going to try to override them myself.�

Garret stared at the Athena hologram. Her very actions indicate a state of confusion and pain as the ship�s computer systems try to hold off the Borg override.

�The Borg now has a holding beam against the Vanguard and the Normandy! They�re being drawn closer to the Diamond for assimilation,� Ka�nal said.

Garret watched the two windows where Captain Maeda and his friend Wu are making maydays and requests for help. Somehow they seemed to be shouting silently, their voice and volume turned off, as he pondered on the fate of his comrades and friends.

How did he get into this? How did everyone get into this? This was a lousy idea, turning lousier every second.

�Athena! Try to override their computers. Get complete control of our ship back. If you can�t stop the Diamond, we will have to blow the captive ships!� Garret said. There was a final alternative he didn�t mention yet, and that would be to ram the Athena towards the Gate at warp speed. No Borg can adapt to a ramming suicide attack that fast enough.

�Trying now, trying now...I need access to the neural nets aboard the Boise and Vanguard. Trying to access the computers in the Hiryu and Normandy....� Athena said.

Maeda appeared onscreen once again. �Something else is trying to access our computers!� She said.

�Captain Maeda, Athena is trying to access your computers. Deactivate any safeguards against her entry.�

�I don�t know what you�re trying to do, Captain Garret,� Maeda said. �But I don�t seem to have any more moves left. Just try to get our ship back.�

�The Diamond is actively scanning all attacking ships. It appears they are planning a cyber attack on all our computer systems.� T�pak warned. A few Defiants, Sabres and Novas remained trying to fight the Diamond, but without firing a shot, the Diamond attacked their computer systems instead, an attack that strikes several targets simultaneously, yet with unerring accuracy. The computer override had temporarily caused the Federation ships to either drift helplessly or even shoot at each other.

Then suddenly, good news hit out of the blue. �I broke the key access. I got a new security program running and I�ve uploaded to all our ships,� Athena said.

�Captain, We�ve regained control of our ship. Athena has defeated their computer override,� Ka�nal said.

A window popped up with Maeda�s smiling face, followed by Wu�s. �Yes you did it, Captain Garret, Athena. We have restored ship control.� Maeda said.

�Thank you, Randall, I owe you one here,� Wu said.

But there was visible strain on Athena. Her hologram began to flash with static.

�Athena!� Garret shouted. �What�s happening? Are you all right?�

�The toll of the struggle against the Borg neural nets,� Athena said. �I need to run diagnostics.� Her hologram flashed again, then collapsed on the floor.

�T�pak, get some scans. I want to know what the status of the ship�s computer systems now!� Garret ordered.

�Yes Captain, diagnostics underway.� T�pak responded.

�Captain, the Hiryu is still under the Diamond�s control,� Ka�nal said.

�Athena is still accessing the Hiryu�s computers and trying to break the Diamond�s override,� T�pak said. �These activities are putting an enormous strain on her computational resources.�

Garret bent over Athena, observing with concern as her hologram would occasionally destabilize. Finally her hologram began to stabilize for a moment of time.

�Captain, the Diamond has already injected nanoprobes into the Hiryu�s computer systems,� Athena said. �It is much more difficult to reverse the override.�

A window flashed on the screens. On it was the tired, wounded face of Captain Boussard. �Captain, I appreciate your help in trying to help us break away from the Borg computer override. But it is in vain. If you let us be assimilated, they will use this ship against you and the Federation. Please I beg of you, end our torment. Let us die as heroes.�

�It appears that we have no choice, Captain. We must destroy the Hiryu before it is completely assimilated,� Ka�nal suggested.

�I...I...don�t think I have any more choice...� Garret said. �Arm the torpedoes, and lock on to the Hiryu.�

�No, Captain, wait!� Athena said. �You won�t be able to destroy the Hiryu. The Borg has already modified its shields and it has been raised again. The Diamond is reinforcing the Hiryu�s shields.�

T�pak ran scans. �She�s correct, Captain. The Diamond has raised and is reinforcing the Hiryu�s shields.�

It appears for now that Garret has been relieved of a moral burden. But for how long?

�Captain, the best way I see now is to attempt an override of the Diamond�s computer functions itself,� Athena said.

�Are you nuts, Athena?� Garret said. �You couldn�t even break the override on the Akira�s systems, much less tackle the Diamond directly.�

�That�s my point. The Diamond has thrown its efforts by keeping the Hiryu. By doing so, it may be getting negligent on its own defenses.� Athena said. �But I will need help.�

�Captain, will you grant me a higher power level authorization to the ship�s computer systems?� Athena asked.

�Granted, Athena. Just do it.� Garret said.

�I will need assistance from the Boise and the Vanguard�s bioneural networks,� Athena said.

�Operations, hail the Boise and the Vanguard and inform them of our situation,� Garret ordered.

After a short hail, Maeda responded in the window on screen. �Captain Garret, you helped us out of the mess, and I�ll do everything to help you. You have our systems access.�

�Mine too.� Hoesch said in another conference window.

�Okay, Athena, you got your tools, what now?� Garret said.

�Not all the tools. I need the Vinculum in the Nexus. We need to transport it into the ship.� Athena said.

�We do not have much time, Captain. According to my scanners, the last vestige of human life signs has been assimilated.� T�pak said.

�Only partial assimilation, Captain,� Athena countered. �The Hiryu�s crew had been vaccinated before. The vaccine will slow down their assimilation, and it will give us a window of time before their assimilation reaches the point of no return. Believe me, Captain, I know what I�m doing.�

Ka�nal looked at the Captain. �I would know what Boussard would want. He would want you to end his misery and prevent his ship from being a threat to you. It�s up to you Captain, if you want to trust the strategies of a hologram.�

Garret looked at Athena. Yes, he remembered the time she took the entire crew off to sacrifice herself at the mercy of the Tal Shi�ar. That clever plan almost didn�t work, but it did, a fine act of ingenuity right through the hole of a needle.

�Trust me, Captain,� Athena said, her eyes staring at his.

�Operations, get me Lieutenant Ghia and the science team. Inform them that we will beam the Vinculum on board the Athena, and I need the science team to get the Vinculum back powered up and online.�

�Right away Captain.�

�Head for the Nexus,� Garret ordered.

�Captain, I am beginning to attempt override of the Hiryu�s computer systems again. This time, I am trying to broadcast from two different points, the Boise�s and the Vanguard�s bioneural networks. This will expose the Hiryu�s interfaces from two sides, and I can use the Boise�s and the Vanguard�s computational powers to help me.� Athena said.

�The Diamond still has control of the Hiryu, Captain. It is using the Hiryu to attack the Boise and the Vanguard.� Ka�nal said.

�Captain Garret, I�m under attack from the Hiryu,� Hoesch said in a window.

�Just keep your shields on the max, Captain Hoesch, and energies to your computer systems and deflectors,� Garret said. �We�re going to override the Hiryu.�

�It�s attacking me now, Captain Garret,� Maeda said from her conference window. �Reinforcing shields, putting more energy into our computer systems and deflector. Our networks are all yours, Captain Garret. Now the Hiryu is heading for the Normandy.�

Another window popped up. It was Admiral Hurst with an angry face. �What the hell are you doing, Captain? The Hiryu just strafed our ship. Boussard�s ship has been assimilated, and yours is the only one that can fight his ship. I will order you to destroy Boussard�s ship.�

�Hold off on that order, Admiral,� Garret said. �Right now she�s dissipating her attack across several ships. She won�t be able to concentrate enough energies to destroy a single ship. We can still save the Hiryu. All we need is to override the Diamond itself. Just trust us, we have a plan. Please.�

On the Hurst�s windows, Garret saw Wu placed his hand on Hurst�s shoulders. Wu bent and whispered something to Hurst, and then raised a thumbs up.

�Okay, Captain, do it your way, but if it fails, you have to stop the Hiryu. Hurst out.�

�We�re approaching the Nexus,� Ka�nal said.

�Be ready to beam the science team and the Vinculum on board.� Garret said.

�Transporter locked,� T�pak said.

�Beam them now,� Garret ordered. He turned to Athena. �She�s all yours now.�

�I�m putting false information into the Hiryu�s computers, causing it to attack different ships instead of concentrating in one target.� Athena said. �That will delay the ship enough for me to work on her.�

�This is Lieutenant Ghia at the Storage Hold. We got the Vinculum here, and it is online.�

Athena settled into the chair next to Garret�s. �Now to intensify override attacks on the Hiryu.�

Athena grimaced, then nodded her head. Garret could only guess what was happening with the intensity in her face. He wasn�t comfortable with a silent unseen war fought with bits and bytes, a war fought in cyberspace. Give him phasers and photon torpedoes anytime, where projectiles fly and phasers light the sky. But he had to trust Athena. They won�t win a war with the Borg with just phasers and torpedoes, but maybe through the unseen dimension of cyberspace, they could do better. Athena, supported with the bioneural networks aboard the Boise and Vanguard, may represent the most advanced computing system in the quadrant. The capabilities of the Borg neural networks are unknown to him, but he hoped Athena could conquer them.

Athena groaned. �Now...to begin attacks through the Vinculum...straight against the Vinculum aboard the Diamond...Ugh!�

�Power levels are rising in our Vinculum,� Ka�nal reported. �Scans showing a massive increase in subspace communication using the Borg interlink frequencies.�

�Give�em hell, Athena.� Garret said.

�Captain,� T�pak interrupted. �The Hiryu is heading for us. My sensors showed its phasers and torpedo tubes are armed. The Diamond may be using the Hiryu to distract our cyber attacks or destroy us totally.�

�Maximum power to shields. Ka�nal see if you can target their weapons systems!� Garret ordered.�

�Ugh!� Athena grunted as the ship shook from hits against its shields. The Athena retaliated with its main phaser strips and point defense phasers. The rear shields of the Hiryu lighted as the phasers scored against the shields.�

�Our shields are down to forty percent, Captain,� Ka�nal said.

�That Akira packs one mean punch.� Garret said.

�...and she�s still coming at us...� Ka�nal said.

�Athena, I thought you had the Hiryu distracted?� Garret asked.

�I did, but the Diamond has determined that we are now its main threat and has ordered the ship to concentrate fire against us,� Athena said.

As the Hiryu headed for a pass against the Athena, all of a sudden, torpedoes slammed against the Hiryu�s ships, followed by rapid phaser fire. On screen, two Defiants unleashed streams of pulse phaser fire, and right behind them was the Normandy, all phasers blazing.

�I�ll cover ya!� Captain Wu said onscreen in his conference window.

�Thanks!� Garret exclaimed.

The Hiryu turned away with the Defiants and the Normandy in hot pursuit.

�Their main cyber defenses are tough,� Athena said. �I am attempting direct override of the Diamond now. Security Matrix One up...now down... Security Matrix Two up...now down...�

�The Diamond is randomly firing! She�s starting to spin like a top back and forth,� T�pak reported.

�Yes! Athena, it�s beginning to work,� Garret said, watching the Diamond onscreen.

�Now, the Diamond is trying to fire at everything that moves.� T�pak said.

�It�s really tough,� Athena said. �Now attempting regeneration sleep command....nope, doesn�t work...now attempting power shut down command...whoa! Got multiple levels of security there...now going for self destruct sequence...nope, very well guarded...Boy, Data must have it a lot easier when he hacked that Cube for the first time. I�m trying all the tricks on the book. Oopsy, the Diamond is counterattacking, hacking at my circuits! Shutting their attacks down with a new security program. You�re going to get it, tin heads!�

Despite the security program, the Borg was still able to access the online screen. The face of a drone appeared on the screen. �We are Borg. You, Athena program. You are an interesting piece of technology, but the Borg has no use of your primitive artificial intelligence. But your ship and your crew mates will be assimilated to serve the Collective. We will adapt to your attacks. We will adapt to your defenses. Your attack against us is futile. Your resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. You will all be assimilated. We are Borg.�

Athena shouted in a fit of anger. �I had it with these creepy guys! Oh boy, you�re going to get it this time!�

Suddenly sensors went haywire. �We got one hundred, no two hundred...three hundred ships on our sensors�Federation ships, Klingon ships, Romulan ships�it�s an armada out there!� T�pak said.

�Where are these ships coming from? I thought the Admiral said, reinforcements cannot be available given that few ships are in our area.� Garret said.

�I am not sure if these ships are real or not,� T�pak said. �Athena has full control of this ship and everyone�s sensors. Apparently she also has control of the Borg sensors as well.�

The Borg drones looked confused in the screen, their robotic motions appearing jagged and losing coherency, scrambling to check their sensors and scans.

Athena stood in a challenging pose. She threatened. �Calling all Borg. You have seen our power. You have seen our numbers. We have surrounded you. We will penetrate your network systems. We will board your ship. We will assimilate your secrets. We will use the technology of your ship against your Collective. Be prepared to lose control. Be prepared to be boarded. Be prepared to be assimilated. This time, it�s your resistance that is futile.� Shortly after the last words, with the power and access of the captured Vinculum behind her, Athena escalated all hacking attacks against the Borg Collective network.

The Borg appeared confused on screen, then looked at each other, and their rapid, jerky movements indicated that even the Borg may have a sense of panic.

Then suddenly the Class 3 Tactical Diamond blew up�comets of fire, pieces of Borg framework, jagged metal, hurtling in all directions, a massive shockwave spreading out like an ever expanding ring.�

�Override procedures now underway on the Hiryu,� Athena said. �Computer systems reset, reboot, regular computer systems returning, new security program being uploaded. The Hiryu is yours again, Captain.� Athena clapped and wiped her hands.

�What happened, Athena? This is so sudden.� Garret asked.

�I don�t see the vast armada of ships on the sensors anymore,� T�pak said. �Athena created an illusion.�

Ka�nal explained. �The Diamond was fooled and self destructed. It thought the situation is hopeless when it saw the vast armada of ships. It was outnumbered. Athena planted the suggestion that they will be captured. That their technology will be used against the Collective. Their loyalties to the Collective prompted their self destruction to prevent their capture. All along the armada wasn�t even real.�

�You fooled them, Athena. That was really clever of you, Athena,� Garret looked at her, still stunned. �Now I�m really scared of you.� He jokingly added.

�I�m handing manual control of the ship to Captain. I�m a bit tired. I�m going to hibernate and regenerate. I think you guys owe me and this ship a badly needed vacation and a new paint job.� A tired Athena vanished in a wink.

�She�s tired?� Garret asked T�pak. �How can machines get tired?�

�As a matter of fact,� T�pak said, �they do, in a sort of way. My diagnostics here suggest that Athena may have suffered some bioneural damage in her computer systems as she engaged the Borg systems. Ironically the Borg seems to be using some variant of bioneural circuitry as well. It�s quite clear that Athena needs to regenerate from her damage.�

�Well and so do we. Anything from Shiner?� Garret asked.

�She seems to be doing okay. The infection has been contained and her situation has stabilized.� T�pak said.

�What about the Hiryu?� Garret asked.

�Dead on space, Captain. It�s completely immobilized. The Normandy is on its way with de-assimilation teams. If we can contain Borg infection and de-assimilate their victims, this could mean another major turn in our struggle against the Borg.� T�pak said.

(To be continued)

------------------

IP: Logged
crobato
Ex-Member

Star Trek Athena: The Gate Pt 8

Immobilized, its computers overridden, the Hiryu hang motionless in space. Two Defiants, a Sabre and a Nova held the large Akira class vessel on four tractor beams, while another behemoth, the Ambassador C class USS Normandy approaches.

�Approaching the Hiryu,� the Helmsman said.

�Prepare the De-Assimilation teams,� Captain Wu ordered. The USS Normandy had been one of the two vessels the Section had devised as Borg Containment vessels. The other ship was the USS Havana, which had just been lost with all hands in the battle against the Borg. De-assimilation teams wore armor to resist tubule attacks and injected nanoprobe vaccination to temporarily resist the effects of assimilation. The armor had portable field generators; the hand held phasers had random modulation. They are also equipped with a variety of low technology weapons, such as knock out gas, and a revival of a classic twentieth century weapons, electric shock Tazers. A special constructed sick bay with multi-adapting force fields was constructed, with scanners designed to reprogram nanoprobes. It can only succeed if the assimilated can be retrieved in time before the nanoprobes altered enough of the victim�s anatomy, neural structure and DNA to be irretrievable.

�Beam all Away Teams,� Wu ordered.

�Aye, sir,� his tactical officer responded.

The commandos themselves looked like Borg drones with their armor and equipment, their computers and force fields they wear around their suit, their infrared and laser sighting equipment to see through the smoke and darkness, their special injectors around their forearms designed to inject vaccine nanites to counter Borg nanoprobes, their massive phaser rifles designed to punch through even the toughest drone force fields.

�We are encountering sporadic resistance,� the Away Team leader reported through his communicator. �Many of the crews are only in Stage 1 and 2 of assimilation. They can be recovered.� As he spoke his words, he zapped an assimilated crewman with a tazer, knocking him unconscious. �I got another one here. Prepare to beam him up.� Before the man was beamed, the Away Team commando injected nanites into the man using his own tubule.

�Stage 1 and Stage 2 assimiliation levels...hmmm...� Hurst looked at his watch. The nanite vaccines were working better than he thought, given the time passed. Hurst made a mental estimate the time the Hiryu�s crew started getting assimilated to the time the de-assimilation teams entered the ship.

Not bad for something they had not fully tested yet, at least under hard field conditions. Hurst thought. He smiled. There was no better way to test the de-assimilation technologies than being under fire. Call it unwitting guinea pigs.

He made additional notes to his digital tablet. The Borg Containment ships have also shown a few weaknesses as well. The battle had been a testing ground for new theories and ideas. Note number one, he writes, the need for additional computer security for the ships. Note number two, stronger tractor beams...

It was too bad they lost the Havana. Both the Normandy and the Havana were to serve as prototypes for a few more Borg Containment ships. Already he had a list of old ships, mainly Excelsior, Ambassador and Niagra classes, planned to be converted and trained for the purpose. In a way, he would be doing these ships a favor. Slated for retirement, they may be headed for a new and most important role to secure the future of humanity against the Borg threat.

Several days later, on the former Nexus, now called Station BX001, orbiting near the now designated Transwarp Gate 001...

She opened a get well card. It was from that charmer, Captain Randall Garret, with a small flower from Athena. She smiled. Her muscles still quivered, all after effects from partial assimilation. But there was unexpected side benefits she experienced from the nanoprobes in her body. They had cured her of some minor diseases. They had stimulated stem cell development, and with tissue regenerating, she had begun to feel younger and stronger, as if years had started to be removed from her age.

But to hear the voices for the first time, the voices of the great Collective. It was so powerful, so addicting. It was almost as if she regretted being forced back from assimilation. There can never be loneliness. You are one with the many, one with the all. Being the Collective itself was a state of the purest joy, but one that would rob you of the only soul you have.

She sniffed, and let a tear fall out of her eye. It was a very close, very close indeed.

�Doctor,� one of the engineers said. �The singularity power source has been activated. I repeat, the singularity has been activated.�

While the second Diamond was destroyed, they managed to capture the first Diamond holding the singularity intact. When they boarded the first Diamond, every one of the drones were dead, a result of a massive energy backlash. The Diamond�s Vindiculum and some of the computers were fried with it too.

A large Nebula class vessel, the USS Palomar had been stationed in orbit next to the former Borg Nexus. In a life of a few decades, the Palomar had served mainly as an explorer and science vessel, a large ship neck high on science equipment and continuously upgraded sensors. She had been a mobile home and base to a few hundred scientists and engineers, a scientific research base with warp engines.

With engineer and science teams from the USS Palomar, they had managed to repair the Diamond and the singularity power source. The Gate itself was remarkably undamaged, and with the availability of power, they can, for the first time in all of mankind, operate an artificial wormhole gate. The Gate itself would open the doors to all the quadrants of the Galaxy in a blink of an eye. But the social ramifications, the conflicts it can create. For the time being, the Section had decreed that this remarkable discovery will not be shared with the rest of the Federation and the known empires of the quadrant. It will remain a closely guarded secret like the Section itself. The scientists and engineers working on the Gate will be made to pledge the highest levels of secrecy. They�re not going to be famous they thought, but they will spare the rest of the Galaxy of the profound social consequences that knowledge of the Gate can unleash. They are now privy to a great and wonderful secret, and the potential for discovery can be boundless. They have become members of an exclusive and elite club.

But the discovery had to be handled with great respect. Within the computers, they found databases that detailed the location of other Gates in the Galaxy. The Borg had already built a number of Gates, and there was the additional revelation that Gate 001 may not only be the sole Gate threatening the Alpha Quadrant. If you are not careful, you may suddenly find yourself in the opposite end right at the Borg�s backyard. The first thing to do was to prevent the Borg controlled Gates from accessing Gate 001.

But there lay more mystery. There are other Gates�not Borg. Who made these Gates? It may appear that the Borg did not innovate both transwarp and the Gate technology by themselves, but by assimilating the technology from another race.

Who are the original Gate builders? That may be the greatest mystery of all. The Gate itself may open the secret to a vast interstellar empire...far...far greater in scope than the Federation, the Dominion, the empires of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, such as the Klingon and Romulans. A race or empire of Ancients that spanned not just an entire quadrant, but an entire Galaxy. Perhaps even beyond that.

Is this the race of the Progenitors? Are the Gates the creations of the Progenitors? The race of Ancients that laid the seeds of all the bipedal humanoids found through out the Galaxy, the race who gave all these races from Human to Klingon to Vulcan, to even the remote, newly discovered races in the Delta Quadrant, a single genetic blueprint. The race that all other races, who during the beginning of their histories, had once called and worshiped them as gods?

She thought long and hard on these theories. Maybe they won�t be theories for long.

The Gates that were not Borg. Maybe it was time to explore them.

The first was Gate 01A. Already a few probes were sent through�then sent back. No Federation ship could control when the Gate would open and where it would lead, so the ships must return to a pre-appointed time and place. Only the Nexus could open the Gate and determine the destination at the other end. Only the Nexus could retrieve them.

After probes were sent, the first manned ship to go through the Gate was a small Venture class scout. When it returned, the stage was set for something bigger.

�Singularity power levels rising,� one of the engineers said. �Wormhole in five... four... three... two... one...�

A pinkish whirlpool appeared in the middle of the Gate. At the eye of a cyclone, the hole opened. Flashing rainbow lights shone through the hole.

It�s time.

Aboard the Nova class USS Keppler, the Helmsman raised a thumbs up. The Captain, tense but smiling, gave his orders. �Engage half impulse. Let�s go through the Gate.�

�Aye Sir!�

The ship moved forward, like a strange attraction compels it to go through the hole. The hole was a whirling maelstrom where bright lightning flashed, yet the center was strangely calm. Slowly the ship entered...

There was a flash of light, and infinity was compressed to a point in time. Suddenly the Keppler emerged in a new sea of stars.

�One quarter impulse,� said the Captain. �Let�s take it slowly.�

�Captain,� the Helmsman said. �Our navigational computers are haywire. It could not recognize the cartography.�

There was a new sea of stars ahead of them. It could have been any other sea of stars they had seen before, or one any navigational computer could recognize.

But not this. This was indeed new.

�I think we are no longer in the Alpha quadrant,� said the Helmsman.

�We are not indeed,� said the Captain. According to the briefing, Gate 01A is somewhere in the Delta quadrant.

�Look, Captain, Gate 01A is behind us...� said the Operations officer. �I�m bringing it on screen.�

They saw the giant ring which they came from. But the ring didn�t have jagged, matrix like architecture of Gate 001. The structure around the ring was brown not green in color. There was massive writings, hieroglyphics, all over the ring, and there were pictures, images, carvings, of idols, or maybe gods. It wasn�t built by the Borg. It was built by someone, or something else.

Back on the Taciticus shipyard, Garret watched from the large transparent windows. It was here, where he first saw that sleek mysterious grey ship that was Athena, and eventually his command. But here instead on the dock was another ship. This time it was an Akira class, it�s name plastered across the upper hull, the USS Hiryu.

He felt some footsteps close to him. He turned around, and there was the brusque and muscular figure of the infamous Jacques Boussard.

�Captain Garret?�

�Yes, Captain Boussard.�

�Nice meeting you again, Captain Garret,� Boussard said. �I didn�t have the opportunity to thank you for saving our lives and this ship.�

Garret could feel a �but� coming.

�But I must say, you took an awful risk there,� Boussard said. �I don�t want to sound like an ingrate, but if I were in your place, I would have destroyed my ship and everyone with it. I would not bear the thought my ship, myself, and my crew assimilated and turned against the very Federation I have fought for my entire life. I would rather be dead than for this to happen. Because of you, it came very close, very close indeed. My life is not worth to let a possibility like this to come close to happening.�

�Again I thank you for my life, that of my crew and ship, but please do not let it happen again.� With those words, the man left as silently as he came.

�Hmmph!� Athena said. �What an ingrate, despite what he said.�

�What? Where the hell did you come from, Athena?� Garret asked in surprised.

�The ship is orbiting closely by and within range of my holo emitters,� Athena said. Referring to Boussard, she said, �I can�t believe people will throw their lives like that, for a cause, for any cause.�

�He believes sacrificing his life is worth it if it saves a lot more of others. There is nothing wrong with that. He was right,� Garret said.

�But it was I, who insisted that risk,� Athena said.

�And you were also right Athena. You saw a way to save people�s lives. And you took it. We took it,� Garret said. �In the end we all believe in the same thing. It just that we and Boussard do not agree in the way to reach that end.�

�Regardless of what he said, given the same situation, I still would have done the same thing. If there was any way to save human life, we must exhaust every possibility,� Garret said. �I would not be able to live with myself had I been aware and ignored that there were means that could have saved their lives.�

�Let�s not bother with the guy. Boussard is a strange fellow, even for a hologram like me,� Athena said. �Let�s go back, Captain.�

�I will meet you in the ship, Athena. But right now, I just want to say and that I want be alone for a while,� Garret said.

�Well, see you around later then,� Athena said.

�Athena, before you go, I want to say, thank you. You may have saved their human biological lives there, but it was my soul and conscience that you saved for me that day.�

He needed to be alone, so he turned around and walked away.

After the battle of Wolf 359, the inadequacies of Starfleet's mainstream classes became apparent. These includes the Niagara, New Orleans, Constellation and Cheyenne classes. It's not just the Borg who handed the greatest defeat the Federation have seen for more than a century, but the appearance of new foes. There was the sudden reappearance of the Romulans, whose Warbirds could get the handle of even the Galaxy classes; the war with the Cardassians and instability within the Klingon Empire. They all added to combine the specs for a new multirole warship with better military capabilities.

Out from the weapons program designed to counter the Borg came a new development---the powerful pulse phaser cannon.

The radical new Defiant class was the first warship to be made with pulse phaser cannons. But the technology is new, and there are questions whether these cannons can be made fast enough, and with the limited firing arc of these weapons. So Star Fleet wanted an alternative design about the same physical size and crew size, with about the same performance level but using more conventional phaser strips. The result is the Sabre.

In a parallel development, the Norway class came as a result of mating a Miranda type replacement with the pulse phaser program. This led to the appearance of cannon ports in the nose section of the ship�s main hull. Pulse phasers have limited arcs, so the result was the Norway had to be fast and agile to keep its weapons pointed at the target. For that reason, it was nicknamed among other things, the Bird of Prey for the Federation.

But as a precaution and fail safe, Star Fleet wanted an alternative using conventional phaser strips, a larger parallel to the Sabre. The result of that was the Steamrunner, though a number of Steamrunners were fitted with pulse phasers for field testing.

Even though Star Fleet had commissioned both the Defiant and Norway classes, production problems encountered with the pulse phasers forced the commissioning of the Sabre and Steamrunner classes. The Defiant and Norway hulls have to compete for the limited supply of pulse phaser armaments With greater production emphasis going for the Defiant class, production numbers for the Norway became limited.

With pulse phasers limited but faced with the urgency of the Dominion War, a number of Norway hulls were forced into commission anyway, fitted conventional phasers. But without a strip, their arcs are more limited, decreasing their tactical value not to mention their firepower. So Starfleet did not commission a lot of Norways, and the bulk of that role was taken with the ever more popular Steamrunners. Eventually, production of the Norways were suspended to increase production on the Steamrunners, but not before the Kiev was born.

But as production of pulse phasers eases, its problems resolved, there is once again a renewed interest for a pulse phaser equipped warship in the Miranda slot, the 300-350 meter size class. This maybe what it takes to resurrect the Norway class. But by then, the war was over as well.

The USS Kiev was one of the Norways that were privileged to fitted with the pulse phasers. It was one of those little thing that made Garret, Wu and Shelley to be proud of their ship. If the Defiants were deadly enough, the pulse phaser equipped Norway effectively performs like a larger, heavier armed Defiant. In many occasions, it has proved to be a lethal opponent against Jem�Hadar Strike Fighters and Cruisers. The USS Kiev had its share of both minor and major actions against the Dominion. In the end it survived that war, but only to lost in the battle against the Borg. It seemed poetic justice, the ship finally ended its days doing the thing it was mainly designed for�to battle the Borg menace.

With a worthy battle record, the name USS Kiev deserves to be remembered and installed on a new ship with no less than Captain Ann Shelley to be her commander. Wu and Garret had petitioned Hurst to get a new Norway hull. But there were no new Norway hulls to spare. There were many half finished Steamrunner hulls, forced to surplus when the Dominion War ended with the ships are still under construction. Since his arrival to the Tacticus shipyard, Garret had seen some of these hulls towed to the shipyard for finishing, then commissioned for Section use. Shelley was almost certain that her new command would be another of the Steamrunners being finished on the mammoth yard. But Hurst turned out to have other plans.

The war left a surplus of Defiant, Sabre and Steamrunner hulls all across the Federation in hastily built shipyards. The war against the Dominion brought the highest levels of attrition the Federation faced for more than a century. Much of its older Class 1 and Class 2 ships were casualties of the war, and the ever present Miranda class in particular, took much of the brunt for this. Taking a cue from a 20th century German named Albert Speer, the Federation underwent an emergency rationalized ship building program to replace soaring casualties, using hastily built and improvised shipyards located in undisclosed, unknown sections of the Federation, where they are safe from Dominion attack. This was a wise move, as shipyards like the Utopia Planitia were under constant attack by Dominion forces, limiting the number of large ships that can be built. These new shipyards concentrated first on Defiant, Sabre and Steamrunner classes, but later, the Akira class was added to the program. Despite massive attrition, the Federation was able to resupply its losses with new ships. It was one of the events that help turned the tide of war for the Alpha Quadrant alliance. Then the war ended, with countless hulls still being built in the shipyards.

During the war, the Federation also began a number of Advance Shipyards in unknown areas of the Federation, to keep them out of reach from the Dominion. These shipyards were capable of building the most advanced ships of the Federation, including the Sovereign class. Attacks against major Federation shipyards have greatly crippled the output of the large ships, forcing the Federation to seek alternatives. One of these shipyards would became known as the Taciticus shipyard, but it was only commissioned after the war was over. Nearly scrapped by post war Federation Star Fleet budget cuts, Taciticus itself became a base for Section operations, capable of constructing the most advanced ships of the Federation. One such ship would become the USS Athena.

But post war requirements were different. A much weakened and war torn Federation faced a new period of uncertainty. Fortunately there were enough Defiants, Sabres, Steamrunners and Akiras built during the war, or finished after the war from surplus, to guard what was left. But what was severely lacking were scout ships, also called small explorers. These ships were designed for speed, sensor range and resolution, capable of sustaining long range cruises, with only moderate armament. These were ships like the Nova and the Intrepid class. Development and production of these ships were stunted during the war. But now, to patrol the boarders of a quadrant with an uncertain future, scouts and patrol ships were now the front line, and the Federation has now shifted its emphasis to make up for the lack of numbers of these ships. Despite the sudden loss of the second prototype of the Intrepid class, the USS Voyager, specifications for the mass production version of the class were settled, and general production began.

While a fine ship, the few short years have shown flaws in the Intrepid design that brought engineers back to the drawing board. They wanted more space for sensors and equipment. They complained about the complexity of the adjustable warp nacelles and pylons, which were among the most sophisticated engines the Federation has made. Despite that Star Fleet does not use money, it still counted resources, and the bean counters complained about what apparently is the high cost of building such a small ship. Post Dominion War Federation proved to be a Federation in a frugal mode. The bean counters wanted simplification, sharing of common components, especially with what is supposed to be the three main explorer, science and surveyor ship types of the late 24th Century, the Sovereign, Intrepid and the Nova Pathfinder classes.

Thus the Intrepid A variant was born. Taking an Intrepid hull and lengthening it, the engineering hull was replaced with something that looked like from the Sovereign, with a small red round deflector, a profile that starts thin at the front, and fattens to the end. The new engineering hull was simpler and allowed for more Venture class shuttles to be carried at the rear. The adjustable warp nacelles and pylons were replaced by swept back pylons with nacelles similar to a Sovereign or Nova. To be more precise, they were the same as the upper two nacelles used for the Prometheus. The result was essentially, a more cheaper, simpler, more robust but more spacious Intrepid that could do the same missions for a lower cost. From the outside, the new ship looked more shark like. But it was not the menace of a Great White, more like the curiosity and sensitivity of a Sand Shark. The first to be commissioned was the USS Aegis, and later the entire range of ships, became known as the Aegis class.

The Taciticus shipyard was the first shipyard that could build the type. It was in fact, the birthplace for it when the Section required more eavesdroppers and peeping tom ships.

An inaugural party was held, just outside the Stars Tears bar. The new Aegis class USS Kiev sits on the same place where the USS Hiryu once nested for repairs, and where Garret saw the USS Athena for the very first time. Behind it, the USS Normandy was docked for repairs and refits. Recently Miranda IV tugs have tractored two Steamrunner hulls to the shipyard for finishing and completion. One of the hulls has already been commissioned the USS Genghiz, to be under the command of Captain Isis Johnston. Parked in orbit was the USS Vanguard, waiting for her turn on the dock, and nearby the USS Athena herself, also waiting for her chance for repair. The Kiev itself, still not star worthy, was a hive of activity, as technicians and engineers rush to finish it, installing her engines, sensors and computer equipment, and finally her interior furnishings.

�A salute! For the new USS Kiev!� Garret said, his glass raised.

�Salute!� Wu, Hurst, and Maeda said in response. Then Hurst made one of those ceremonial speeches, preaching about the typical Star Fleet officer heroism. Captain Johnston, a sensual looking woman of African descent, had just joined them.

�So Ann, what do you think about her?� Garret asked Shelley. �She looks like she�s going to be a fine ship.�

�As for the new ship, I am quite impressed,� Shelley said. �She�s not going to be the old gal, but she�s worthy of a few adventures of her own. My only complaint�perhaps my main complaint about the ship is that furnishings seemed spartan and simple, and the rooms were kind of small. Other than that, I think I�m ready to blaze the galaxy once again with adventures of my own.�

�Lady,� Johnston said. �You have not seen �tight� until you have been in the inside of a Steamrunner. I used to serve under a New Orleans class ship, and the brig looks bigger than the Captain�s room in the Genghiz. The Diplomat�s room? A joke�any head of state who sleeps will rightly declare war on the Federation.�

Garret laughed. �The Athena isn�t that much better if you have been inside. Maybe you should trade places with David there. That Normandy is a luxury cruiser. It�s got a big, big Diplomat�s suite.�

�That ship is an Ambassador, right?� Shelley said. �I guess they don�t build ships like they used to.�

�Oh, she�s got lots of room,� Wu said. �Maybe in those days, they had the budget and they have the money. I guess a lot of things have changed. It�s called a lean, mean Star Fleet on a diet.�

�I sympathize. The Vanguard is a bit stark inside too.� Maeda said. �So David, what�s up with your ship?�

�As you know, the USS Normandy is being used as a prototype for a Borg Containment vessel. We�re training new teams for boarding and counter assimilation techniques and strategies. We�re being refitted with new computers. Tougher security. Much more difficult to override,� Wu answered. �Thanks to Athena, we should be able to have our own computer override feature. Where is she anyway?�

�She�s right there,� Garret said. �The yard is within range of the ship�s powerful holo emtters.� Athena, along with members of her crew, were in one table, taunting against another table of officers from another ship.

�Quite a sight for sore eyes, is she?� Wu said.

�Oh yes, if she�s not the one causing you to be sore in the first place.� Garret said laughingly.

�How are you getting along?� Wu asked. �I heard that she can be a hard stick to handle. I didn�t know attitude is something that can be programmed.�

�So did I,� Garret said. �But I think I�m getting used to her, and she�s getting used to me and the rest of the crew. She�s like a kid, you know, David. They seem to be very hard to handle in the surface, but deep beneath, they got this enormous heart and a sense of innocence that sometimes I am the one who envies her. In the end it becomes very rewarding to see them grow. Yes, it seems like she�s my family too. How annoying they can be to you, you will miss them more if they�re not there. At first I had great regrets getting this command, and now I just can�t think how I can live without her and this ship. �

�Salute then for Athena,� Wu said, with a glass raised. Garret clicked the glass with his.

She lay down on the broad surface of the ship�s upper hull. Her body, made from precise calculated, force fields, were impervious to the effects of radiation and vacuum. Here, she liked to bathe in the starlight. This time though, so that she will not startle the crew, she wore e a nonfunctional body hugging suit with a clear bubble helmet. It does not work of course, and a hologram like her does not need it. It was only for show. People tend to freak if they see her in shorts or in a swimsuit lying on top of the ship�s hull.

She is floating in the midst of the stars she admires, yet she�s not completely free to go exploring for them either. To explore was her dream, and sometimes she asked her �mother� why her sentience wasn�t placed on an explorer type starship instead of some super warship. Her mother could not explain to her, afraid to hurt her feelings, but she knew anyway. She knew that not anything you wish for can come true. Her mother could only create an intelligence but she couldn�t build the body and the machine to hold that intelligence. She knew that her mother had to compromise, working for this Section fleet, she knew it was the best her mother could do. Bless her soul, she thought.

She felt footsteps on the surface of the hull. She turned around, and there were four spacesuits. It was Ka�nal, Drudge, Ghia and T�pak.

�What are you all doing here?� She asked.

�We�re just wondering why are you often out here,� Ka�nal said. �This must be one hell of a view.�

And it is. To see space within a ship through a window in one thing. To let the entire cosmos envelope you, with only a space suit between you and the entire universe, that is another feeling. It�s a feeling all living creatures should experience, because there is no other like it.

�This is a most wonderful experience even for a Vulcan,� T�pak said.

�It�s like seeing the Prophets,� Ghia said.

�It�s like seeing the Egg,� Drudge said.

�The egg?� Ghia asked.

�Oh never mind, you mammals can never understand,� Drudge said.

�I believe Drudge is comparing the experience to the Gorn birthing cycle,� T�pak said.

�Do you have to explain it so scientifically?� Ghia said.

T�pak replied by raising his eyebrow, a muscular action which for some reason, all Vulcans seem to do so well.

Athena stood up and looked at them. She knew they came here not to see the view, but because so she won�t be lonely. They�re all different races and species, but they�re all her friends.

Using the magnetic pads on their suits, they began to sit on the hull, enjoying the view with her.

�Hey guys,� she said. �I thought of something. I saw this on an old Earth video. The Captain brought an entire library of such videos for our entertainment.�

�We know, Athena. We�ve been watching them too in our spare time,� Ka�nal said. �Old Earth culture is so...so...�

�...Melodramatic...� T�pak added.

�Yes, that�s the word,� Ka�nal said.

�Some of these movies makes me cry, sniff, sniff,� Drudge said.

�Hey, get off from me, you reptile!� Ghia said.

�Well maybe you have watched this from a classic movie.� Athena said. Even though there was only vacuum, her voice was transmitted into everyone of their communicators inside their suits.

Athena ran to the bow of the hull, at the very tip, at the very front, of the Prometheus A ship named for her. There standing at this very point, she stretched her arms like a bird in flight and shouted�

�I�m on top of the World!�

Aboard the Borg Obelisk in the Delta Quadrant,

She was formerly Arianne of Species 125, a great leader of her people. Later she became Amon of Borg after she was assimilated. Now after many triumphs and many assimilations, she was fit to be the new Borg Queen.

Now she face something even greater. She was unanswerable to all Borg but one.

He was from Species One of the Borg. He was Creator, Source and Root of the Collective.

He was Alpha of Borg. He was One of One.

(End of episode 2�to be continued on Episode 3)

[ May 29, 2001: Message edited by: crobato ]

crobato
Ex-Member

End chapter revised.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps