Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Hey, I Found It! (The Moments After End of First Contact)

Author Topic: Hey, I Found It! (The Moments After End of First Contact)
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I managed to find the original story about the meeting between Cochrane and the Vulcans. Rereading it, I'm definetely going to revise it eventually. Though, I found the disk packing for college (for which I leave tommorrow morning) so who knows when I'll get the chance. But, here it is in its imperfect form.

======================

“We have done some studies on your culture before, and thus are somewhat familiar with your language.”
“Right, and who are you again?”
“Vulcanoids seems an appropriate name for our species in your language. We originate from the planet Vulcania.”
Cochrane snorted, suppressing a laugh. “Vulcanoids from Vulcania, logical name I guess.” The Vulcanoid raised his eyebrow.
“Indeed it is. We are a race of scientists, who travel through interstellar space, studying the galaxy. We practice a policy of non-interference with cultures which are too primitive to handle contact with other species.”
“And we were too primitive to handle contact with aliens…uh…you?”
“Until now.”
“Until now…”
“Your utilization of warp drive clearly demonstrates the fact that you have the ability to explore and colonize interstellar space, which you undoubtedly will begin doing very shortly. Therefore, it is necessary to ensure that peaceful coexistence be established. We have much to discuss.”
Riker had told him a lot, probably a little too much. And now he needed to make a decision. “Uh, hang on a second…um…”
“Sivok would be an appropriate designation.”
“Right…Sivok. Well hang on for just a minute.” He looked around and spotted Lily. He pulled her aside, out of earshot of the rest of the compound’s inhabitants and the aliens, a little farther since he’d bet money that those pointed doohickeys could hear a bit better than a human’s.
“Lily, this whole new civilization thing, fine. Aliens, fine. But should we tell them about Riker and the future?”
“Zee, I don’t think that’s such a good idea.” She stopped, as Jeb and Michael came up, but it was Jeb who spoke next.
“If we tell the Vulcanoids about the future, won’t it change the future?”
Mike spoke up. “But if those guys came from the future, hasn’t the future already happened and then how can we change it?”
“But the future can’t have already happened. Otherwise, it’s not the future.” Jeb retorted.
Zefram took a swig from the tequila bottle nearby. “Jesus, forget the future bullshit. What will happen now if we tell them about what happened yesterday?”
“Well, if Jeb is right, then everything will happen just the way it’s supposed to.” Lily said.
“If we’re supposed to tell them about the future. Jesus, didn’t anybody think to ask Riker or the rest of them before they left?”
Mike shrugged. “It didn’t come up. Besides, they seemed pretty ready to tell us about the future. Wouldn’t it be even more dangerous to do that than to tell the Vulcanoids about what’s going to happen?”
Jeb rubbed his temples. “Wow, this is giving me a headache. Think they do this a lot in the future?”
“If they do, I bet it’s a pain in the ass every time.” Cochrane finished off the tequila and tossed it away.
Jeb ventured an explanation again. “We started building the Phoenix before the Federation guys showed up, and were going to fly it before the cybernetic guys started shooting at us. Therefore, at some point, we must have done this before, without any interference and without any help from the future. Which means that the proper future would be the one where that crap didn’t happen and if it didn’t happen, then we couldn’t tell them and they wouldn’t know. So,” He paused and took a deep breath. “if we don’t tell them, then we’ll be staying as close as we can to the proper timeline.”
“But…” Mike began, but Cochrane held up his hand, silencing him.
“Forget it, it’s not worth it. Let’s just not tell them. I don’t think I could make sense of the goddamned story anyway.”
Sivok walked up to their small conference. “Is there a problem?”
Lily, Mike, and Jeb looked at each other as Cochrane turned and addressed the Vulcanoid. “Uh…no. We were just debating whether or not to show you around the compound or sit and talk first."
“I believe a tour of the compound would be interesting. We should do that before we sit down and resume discussions.”
Cochrane smirked. “Exactly the conclusion we came to.”

As they walked through the launch silo, Cochrane showed them the tube where the Phoenix had sat yesterday.
“I am curious.” The female Vulcanoid said, peering up the tube towards the night sky. “How did you return to Earth? You ship is still in orbit and it does not appear to have the capability to land or launch again.”
“We piloted it back to Earth orbit and docked it at the derelict Space Elevator. We managed to rig a car to bring us back to the surface.” The elevator cars didn’t even exist anymore, destroyed at the very start of the Third World War when Colonel Green commandeered the Elevator. The Enterprise had beamed the three of them to the surface and towed the Phoenix to the abandoned elevator platform. Come to think of it, how the hell would they have gotten back to the surface?
He led them through the control room and the adjoining rooms, one of which still showed clear signs of the damage inflicted by the Borg. “What happened here?” The third Vulcanoid asked.
“Uh, fire. Common thing among compounds like this.” It was true enough. Hey, at least it wasn’t a flat-out lie. The Borg quantum weapons did start the fires around the compound. He hoped the Vulcanoids weren’t too well versed in the science of forensics.

Lily showed them around the rest of the compound, leaving Cochrane alone peering down the multi-level tube. Jeb walked in soon enough.
“Zee, do you remember when we first started this project?”
“Let’s see, nobody can travel faster than light, we should spend this money on something else, what the hell are we thinking, how the hell are we ever going to pull this off? Did I miss anything?”
“Jesus, becoming the first man to fly faster than the speed of light, meeting aliens and people from the future and your still a cynic? Is there any hope for you?”
“What’s your point, Jeb?”
“Exactly what the Vulcanoid and the people from the future said. What we - what the rest of us - talked about when we first started building the Phoenix. Exploration. We suddenly have the ability to explore the cosmos, and we have a partner. We need to start thinking about where to go from here.” During the conversation, the sky had turned from starry black to an ever brightening blue and finally pink.
Jeb waited a few seconds, but Zefram didn’t reply, and Jeb left the silo without a word. He was wrong. He wasn’t being cynical. He was relishing victory in his own cynical sort of way. What was he expected to do? Rebuild a planet, build a fleet of warp ships, and conquer outer space by himself? He was just a man. But he smirked, remembering what Riker had said. He beheld the circular patch of sky visible at the top of the silo again before heading back to the bar.

“You’re leaving? Already?” He stood inside the bar, the Vulcanoids calmly filing out.
“We are overdue. We must return to our homeworld. Do not worry, however. Our two species will continue to have contact. But for now, you must work on building more warp ships and rebuilding your planet.” They walked towards their ship, Zefram and the rest following behind them.
“What happened to ‘we have much to discuss’?” He stopped, throwing his arms up in exasperation. Sivok stopped on the platform of the spacecraft and turned to face him.
“We have discussed it all. The events leading to your flight. And you clearly have made the logical decision to continue your efforts. We are confident that you will succeed. For now, that is all that can be discussed. When the time comes, we will converse further. Until then, live long and prosper.” He saluted and Cochrane didn’t bother to attempt a return. Sivok stepped through the hatch, which closed behind him. Cochrane watched in rage as the ship lifted off the ground and slowly ascended into the sky. He contemplated hurling the empty Scotch bottle in his hand at the receding ship, but thought better of it.
When it had faded into the sky, he turned towards Mike, Jeb, and Lily, who had been standing a few meters away. “Well now what?”

Aboard the Vulcan ship, the aliens quietly watched the blue planet grow smaller. “They are an emotional species.” T’Par commented.
“But they will succeed.”
Savil looked at him in a puzzled manner. “That was an unnecessary comment, as all three of us are aware of the fact that they will.”
“Forgive me, stating the obvious is an undesirable habit I picked up while stationed on Earth. It still plagues me at momentous times.”
“It is understandable.”
“We should rendezvous with the mother ship in an hour.”
“Has the Enterprise returned to her time?”
“She is no longer in orbit and does not appear on the sensors. I am picking up chroniton particles on the far side of Luna. It appears she has.”
“Very well, I believe it is time for us to do the same. We shall return to the mothership, report on our findings. Then we will proceed to be ‘lost and presumed destroyed’. At which point, we can return home.”

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

OnToMars
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh come on. It's not THAT bad.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't get the end with the Vulcans...

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why isn't Cochrane surprised to hear the Vulcans speak English? Or that they look like humans with pointy ears?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

OnToMars
Member # 621

Why isn't Cochrane surprised to hear the Vulcans speak English?

“We have done some studies on your culture before, and thus are somewhat familiar with your language.”

Or that they look like humans with pointy ears?

Cuz he just traveled faster than light, met people from the future, fought cyborg baddies, and was wasted off his ass.

I don't get the end with the Vulcans...

Read this.

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okayyyyy....

So in your story, the Vulcans who meet Cochrane are actually time travellers as well, (I assume from some date PAST ST:FC, since they knew about the Enterprise) and have come from the future to insure that the Humans and Vulcans meet at the appropriate date... thereby completing a causal loop. They then conveniently vanish from history (back to their own time) when their ship is 'destroyed.'

Clever.
This is why time travel stories give me headaches.

"Just slingshot to the left...
And then warp 10 to the ri-i-i-i-ight...
Use a chroniton field,
And keep the warp field ti-i-ight,
But it's the temporal paradox,
That really drives you insa-a-a-a-ane,
Don't use a Time Warp again!"

---- TimeFleet's unofficial 'fight song'

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

OnToMars
Member # 621

Yes, but it is really the only way to get around the fact that the E-E fucked with the timeline in a big way. Don't you think the quantum weapon damage would have raised a couple of eyebrows? And it sounds like exactly the kind of thing the DTI would want to fix. If it was DTI.

--------------------

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i like everything but the explanation of how they got back to the surface.
OnToMars
Member # 621

Ya, that was a stupid joke just cause the question occurred to me and before it was discussed on Flare (and before I was a member of Flare). If this were canon, it wouldn't have been in there.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps