Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Napier Class Frigate - pre-TOS

Author Topic: Napier Class Frigate - pre-TOS
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Napier Class Frigate

Here's my latest creation. A small-ish pre-TOS frigate, contemporary to the Deadalus design (and possible Enterprise).

As you can see, I've added a little blue glowy thing to at least acknowledge the existence of Enterprise NX-01

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Named after the very fine actor Charles Napier, no doubt. The dedplaque needs a quote from one of his roles as the motto. If not "Headin' now to Eden, yeah brother," then may I suggest ones from "Blues Brothers" or "The Critic."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its a soda bottle!
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice, Harry! Bernd sent me your sketches, but this schematic looks even better.
A few suggestions:
1) You left off the grey end bit of the nacelles on the side view.
2) A large registry should probably appear on the top of the primary hull with the ship's name smaller.
3) The nacelle supports should be on the line from the center of the secondary hull to the center of the nacelle. You might also make them a bit thicker from the front and back.
4) The nacelle pennants (and maybe the secondary hull pennant) should be slightly visible on the top view.
5) I'd beef up the attachment point of the neck to the secondary hull.
6) The shading on the front view looks a bit funny. For the circular gradient fill, place the dark color outside and the lighter color inside, then place the center of the fill (the light color) at the point the highlight would fall at the top of the ship. You appear to have put the dark color at the center and placed it at the bottom of the ship.
7) Those sets of three bars on the sides of the deflector mount should probably be placed on all around rather than just on the sides.

Re: Napier. I've used the name Napier for some of my nacelles. I give names to nacelles after the British tradition of giving names to engines (Merlin, Griffon, etc). Napier was a car and engine company that made a famous aircraft engine called the Napier Lion.

If you're talking about Charles Napier, don't forget he was flayed and mounted like a moth in Silence of the Lambs. Maybe the motto could be "AAAAIIIIIEEEEE!!! My Liver!!!!!"

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice Harry, if you get some updated pics after Masao's suggestions I will as I said be happy to model them- this one and the Nichols class. I'm a big fan of TOS/pre TOS ships. But I've got eight meshes on the go at the moment, but I'll get round to them as soon a poss.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) You left off the grey end bit of the nacelles on the side view.

Hmmm. Those bits were definitely there on the original drawings. Werd. I also noticed the PowerClip elements are a bit mis-aligned.

2) A large registry should probably appear on the top of the primary hull with the ship's name smaller.

So, large rego and small name on top, instead of just name, as with Daedalus?

3) The nacelle supports should be on the line from the center of the secondary hull to the center of the nacelle. You might also make them a bit thicker from the front and back.

Sure, that can be arranged.

4) The nacelle pennants (and maybe the secondary hull pennant) should be slightly visible on the top view.

Hadn't thought of that.

I agree the front of the secondary hull looks a bit dull, but does anyone have any ideas how to make it look more interesting, without completely changing the look of the ship?

6) The shading on the front view looks a bit funny. For the circular gradient fill, place the dark color outside and the lighter color inside, then place the center of the fill (the light color) at the point the highlight would fall at the top of the ship. You appear to have put the dark color at the center and placed it at the bottom of the ship.

No, I experimented with a conical fill. Shading can make me go crazy from time to time

7) Those sets of three bars on the sides of the deflector mount should probably be placed on all around rather than just on the sides.

I looked at Daedalus model and noticed that the bars are not equally long. They seem to follow the deflector mount insets.

BTW, I have mastered your dark outline trick *evil grin*, but I won't use it, because it'll look a bit too much like your work

And yes, it DOES look like a bloody soda bottle, but the Nova looks like a pregnant bug, so there!

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

And the ship's named after John Napier, a 17th century Scottish mathematician.

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here I thought it was gonna be named for JACK Napier...

Then we could have had:
USS Selina Kyle
USS Oswald Cobblepot
USS Edward Nygma
USS Harvey Dent
and USS Harley Quinn.

HehEhEEhAhooHOoHAaAhA!

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

So, large rego and small name on top, instead of just name, as with Daedalus?

Oh... Daedalus style... Well, in that case, please ignore my advice. It's just that in later ships the registry is larger. The big name looks ok, but the registry should be put somewhere on the primary hull, not just on the sides of the secondary hull.

I agree the front of the secondary hull looks a bit dull, but does anyone have any ideas how to make it look more interesting, without completely changing the look of the ship?

How about a few concentric rings: the center most are smaller but taller, the outer are lower but wider (basically like a circular step pyramid). Check out the attachment of the head of Discovery from 2001.

No, I experimented with a conical fill. Shading can make me go crazy from time to time

I'm not familiar with the conical fill, but the front view of the ship is basically a simple sphere and can be shaded like sphere.

I looked at Daedalus model and noticed that the bars are not equally long. They seem to follow the deflector mount insets.

You're right. But I like it better with the bars all the way around.

BTW, I have mastered your dark outline trick *evil grin*, but I won't use it, because it'll look a bit too much like your work

I thought the dark outline was just a generic thing; I don't consider it any kind of personal trademark. I just think it looks nice.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Napier class: the new one

I have modified the ship. One new secondary hull, the registry has moved to the front of the deflector housing and the pennants were modified and added in the top views.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps