Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » various 3D starships

Author Topic: various 3D starships
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was asked to post some of my 3D stuff here. If there are those interested, here's a small selection.

A general fleet pic

Non-canon TOS 1

Non-canon TOS 2

Ambassador Class 1

Ambassador Class 2

Jupiter Station 1

Jupiter Station 2

Jupiter Station 3

Miranda Class 1

Miranda Class 2

Miranda Class 3

Miranda Class 4

Constellation Class 1

Constellation Class 2

That'll do for now I suppose. I got many others, such as Hokule'a, Excelsior, Merced, Oberth, Daedalus, Soyuz, and many more non-canon and non-Trek....

cheers

[ September 24, 2001: Message edited by: The Red Admiral ]

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are nice renders...

Which programs did you use to create them? I've got 3DS4 and LW7 lying around, but I can't seem to find the time to do anything constructive with them

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's all done in Lightwave 5.6. But nothing constructive you say?? Lightwave is a kickass prog, you can do so much....but as you said, only if you can find the time. But I don't do just Trek, I've built other stuff too, the SS Rodger Young from Starship Troopers for instance, and non sci-fi, from still lifes, my study, to all the objects on my desk... Modelling is a learing process though.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Admiral,

Nice work man.

I really like your stuff. I was also hoping to see a Norway Class there, but no dice eh?

I do 3D art and rendering but I don't have the patience for modeling. However, I've never been able to find a Norway Class model. Only one I ever knew of doesn't seem to exist anymore and it was far from good.

If you're interested, I have just about all source material known on the ship (albeit very little). Drop me a line at [email protected] if you are. I'd love to help.

-A

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Those are really great Red Admiral. The specularity maps you've done really add a lot. Excellent detail. Most impressive. Do you do this sort of thing professionally or is it just a hobby? Have you done any animations using these models? Very cool.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Many thanks, I'd almost forgotten about this thread. Here is the new page now with all the models.

http://www.trekmania.net/art/3d_art.htm

There's a number of new ones, including the obscure Wolf 359 classes. I'm currently working on a New Orleans Class.

No, I don't do it professionally, only as a hobby for my site. But I have taken on a commercial project just recently. I'm involved with developing some models for the sequel game to 'Birth of The Federation'. I'm doing the minor races vessels, as well as the Cardassian fleet.

--------------------

The ASDB

bX
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they're lucky to have you. Are you actually creating the meshes that will be used in the game? Do you use Lightwave for that? Man I can olnly imagine what someone with your caliber of talents could come up with using some Brazil.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Yes, Brazil is very powerful, but I do use Lightwave, and the models I'll be making for the game will only be low-poly ones. But you say 'my talents', and I'm flattered, but I by no means have any delusions, therere many out there far beyond my skill. I'm simply making starships, but I have done a few interiors that have photo-realistic quality, but I haven't endeavoured too far in that area.

But here's my latest ship, New Orleans Class.

http://www.trekmania.net/art/neworleans08.jpg

http://www.trekmania.net/art/neworleans06.jpg

--------------------

The ASDB

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's going to be an official sequel to BotF? Produced by which game-company? Personally, I've heard of only one possible successor; a fandom project called Universal Evolution (led by Jean Trekker IIRC), which seems to have crashed before it even took off. Just not enough motivation to do unpayed work, I suppose.

Almost forgot: very nice renders

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: Mojo Jojo ]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Cheers Mojo, yes it is called Universal Evolution, and it's still alive. See more here:

http://www.st-universalevolution.org/

--------------------

The ASDB

bX
Member # 419

Exciting. Keep us abreast of your progress.

And don't underestimate yourself, RA. You're good. I mean you are using Lightwave and you're using it well. That's a pro package. It's very obvious that you're beyond the Bryce dabblers (no slam on them intended, I mean you have to start somewhere). If you wanted to I'd bet you could get some freelance pro work that'd pay cash money. You've got quite a bit of stuff that'd make for a nice portfolio. I'd love to see some animations using your models.

The only things I would change on your New Orleans would be to up the contrast of the detailing (bump, specular) on the nacelle supports (you can't really make it out in the first pic). In general, I realize that's what you are going for, but your color maps on the models are super super clean. A little dirt could go a long way. The only other thing you might mess around with would be the depth of field. It's easy to overdo it, but if you can get a subtle variation in the focus, it can really bring an image alive.

--------------------

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Cheers Balaam. I haven't got round to texturing that New Orleans as yet. All my ships look pretty clean, I don't go in for super realism with dirt and dust on hull plating. Perhaps if I was doing a Klingon ship it would suit it better.

Anyway, here's my latest ship, one I've been tidying up for a while, Nebula Class (The Phase I variant, a la USS Phoenix)

http://www.trekmania.net/art/nebula6.jpg

--------------------

The ASDB

Cartman
Member # 256

And here I am still trying to figure out how to render a simple cube in LW7...

Two thumbs up.

bX
Member # 419

Very nice, RA. The mottling in the nacelle tips (Bussard collectors?) is a nice touch. Did you do the planet too?

ps-I hear you, Mojo Jojo.

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

--------------------

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Mojo, LW7 would also be a mystery to me. I use LW 5.6, and later Lightwave versions are quite different. So rendering a cube would probabaly bother me too, Lol

Balaam. Cheers, yes, I designed the look of the planet using the LunarCell plugin. Creating one from scratch in Lightwave is difficult and very time consuming, that plugin is very useful.

--------------------

The ASDB

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps