Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » STAR TREK: SARATOGA

Author Topic: STAR TREK: SARATOGA
that english guy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the webpage for a Trek Fan Fic series I'm writing with a friend ; there's six episodes in the first season and we've compelted three of them so far though only the PILOT is up.

Without further ado:

http://www.geocities.com/startreksaratoga/MAIN.html

I'd like to hear everyone's impressions on the first episode, on the pilot, on the general plot of the series ... how do you think it'll pan out from this episode ?

Who's your favourite character ? Who do you hate ? Who should be shoved out of the closest airlock ? Who should take up residence in a loony bin and who would you serve under ?

Any comments welcome,

Paul,

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
::Grumble::

I've got a Cardassian character named Anvek in my "Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant" series.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't this clash an awful lot with the established Saratoga we all know, love and saw blow up?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but this is the creativity forum! He can post (VISIT "ANOTHER UNSEEN ARTICLE" THREAD) whatever he likes here.
Hey, who put in that subliminal message?

--------------------
Meh

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, Paul, I've been reading Star Trek: Saratoga, but I'm only up to the beginning of Act Four. Hey, I've got a big statistics exam on Thursday (and I'll likely be drunk when it's over, too). I'll give a more detailed criticism by Thursday afternoon, but I'll give you my initial thoughts.

First, it's pretty well written. The story flows pretty well and pacing doesn't seem to be a problem. The introduction of the characters is pretty good, but there was a bit of confusion in the Kenyon/Shelby/Novotny meeting near Main Engineering. It was hard to pick out who was talking and who knew whom from previous assignments. The descriptions of the characters was vivid and done pretty well also. The description of the ship could use a bit more work, though. Kulai's mental survey of the exterior didn't seem complete enough to get a good picture of how radically this ship differed from the rest of the Excelsior class.

Second, you may want to look at some of the finer details of the story. It's still a bit nebulous to me as to whether this series is prior to or after the Dominion War. The presence of a Cardassian Neutral Zone (by the way, do you mean the Demilitarized Zone?) hints at pre-DS9 yet the mention of Cardassian political turmoil suggests a post-DS9 period. Another facet to look at are the names you've given some of the characters. Your captain is named Alynna Nechayev. There's a real Star Trek character named Alynna Nechayev and she's a high-ranking admiral (she appeared in a couple episodes of TNG and DS9). You're first officer is named Edward Jellico, but there's a real character named Edward Jellico who was captain of the Cairo and the Enterprise-D (TNG's "Chain of Command"). Also, the chief engineer's name of Peter Shelby hints strongly at a relationship of some sort to Commander Shelby (TNG's "Best of Both Worlds"). If you're chronicling a period of Trek history before TNG's run, it would be possible for them to have served aboard the same ship together at some time. But this leads to a minor nitpick of the ship's registry. Generally but not always, the registries are roughly chronological. Your Saratoga is 41xxx while Sisko's Saratoga from DS9's "Emmissary" is 31xxx. But this a very minor point that is open to great debate (I just wanted to make you aware of the potential problem).

Ummm... That's all for now, I guess. Wish me luck on statistics, and I'll get back to you in a couple days.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kenyon? Norman Kenyon? I would hope it's not supposed to be Norman Kenyon, seeing as where the poor chap blew his brains out.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That English guy? I thought there were several. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read the character profile.. this is before TNG
Admiral Nechayev.. when she was a Captain!
Captain Jellico... when he was a Commander!
Captain Kenyon.. when he was a lieutenant!
Shelby's father!

Its going to be hard to get all those characters to fit right with the personalities that are established for them later..

And theres already a starship Saratoga in that era thats Miranda-class

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I've been up and down that site, and I can't see any indication at all as to when the story is set. Only two of the names were red-flagged in my mind, but I'll take y'all's weird if there's another couple or so.

Anyway, if this is focusing on established characters but earlier in their careers, this could lead to some problems. One of the hardest things, I've found, in writing Star Trek fanfiction is using some of the real characters and having your own portrayal of them match the real writers' and actors' portrayals of those characters. If hard to do, and when I write Trek fanfiction I almost always use my own characters. If someone from the canon Trek universe makes an appearance, they are in and then out fairly quickly (so that it's not so easy to screw 'em up).

Anyway, back to statistics...

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

that english guy
Ex-Member

First off,

The series is set in 2348, about 15 years before the beginning of TNG. The Saratoga actually began as the Excelsior, became the Hood before we came up with a good plotline and decided to use the name Saratoga ... don't worry ! We've figured out how the Saratoga's name goes to, technically, an older ship ( the Miranda _is_ older than the Excelsior Gamma class ) and this'll turn up somewhere in the third season ( if we get that far ) !

Erm, yes, Anvek ... I knew that the name came from somewhere but I couldn't remember where. Now I know ! I hope you don't mind, if you do, then I could probably change it, if not, consider it a tribute to TOKYO !

Paul,

that english guy
Ex-Member

And, whilst I remember, Dustin, if you can do a really good sketch of the Bridge ; my one on the ship page is terrible ! We'll post it on the page with full credit given.

There's a description of the Bridge somewhere in the story ( Act 3 methinks ) and the basic sketch in the ships page.

Thanks,

Paul,

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess Anvek can be the Cardie equiv of 'Smith'

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't had much of a chance to look at it, but it looks good from what I've skimmed.

Using previously established guest characters as main ones is a cool idea. Personally, I'm fond of taking a piece of Trek canon and using it as a spring-board for my own work - so I definetely like how you came up with the characters.

And seeing two aliens in the same species with the same names is a nice touch. I don't ever remember it happening before in Trek and you'd think it would happen occasionally.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps