Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Designing MSDs

Author Topic: Designing MSDs
Jb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, folks. A newbie here, looking for some advice...
I've been intrigued with some of the MSDs I've found in here as well as on the web, and I was looking for some advice on their design, especially as they would pertain to an Olympic-Clas ship. I've got a preliminary cross section completed, and would like some advice on creating it's MSD.
Thanks!
Jb

IP: Logged
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a bunch of MSD's on my own a while back, here's my version of the Olympic:

http://www.st-minutiae.com/graphics/olympic.jpg

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful not to make the entire habitable volume of the ship living quarters.. many decks would probably have a corridor at the centerline, so show a few of those, just to keep it visually interesting. Most ships seem to have a whole lot of the residential quarters with windows, so theyd be around the edge, not in the middle. the spaces near the hull that arent 'deck height' could be shown filled with pipe greeblies or whatever to give the illusion of life support machinery

the living quarters thing really ticks me off when everyone just fills a whole ship up with lined-up beds and desks. show a transporter room, a cargo bay, holodeck, rec deck and sickbay too!

and the basics: computer core starts right under the bridge and goes down to the sensory (the dome at the bottom of the primary hull if its got one)
or a captains yacht there if its a newer ship, warp core with PTCs to the nacelles, a shuttlbay, turbolift system (dont forget horizontal tubes and elevator car stopping alcoves)

[ November 02, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Jb
Ex-Member

Thanks for the advice.
I'm much impressed by your rendition, MinutiaeMan, in fact my cross section was very similar to yours, and yours made me realize a few mistakes in my own design (including having the warp core in an area where it would seem not to be able to be ejected...
Back to the drawing board!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I went a little overboard with the lined up living quarters and the sickbay facilities. IIRC, my reasoning was that the Olympic was an emergency response vessel, and therefore needed to have lots of extra room for casualties and evacuees.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is good reasoning. One would hope medical rescue ships would have lots of beds to put people. The sick on the cold, dank floor just don't cut it, yo.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Yeah, the Galaxy may have that nice statistic of being able to evacuate up to 15,000 people from disaster areas, but most of them would be stuck in a shuttlebay or a cargo bay or a holodeck. Not a very comfortable prospect.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jb
Ex-Member

Actually, a medical ship with extensive holographic abilities might be perfect for large scale triage. Wasn't this mentioned somewhere before?
Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How? You'd still need a really big holodeck, and the power required to operate such a holodeck or group of holodecks...
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh, now that's a really cool idea, Jb. Like 30 EMHs. Trauma rooms on demand. Any surgical tool you need is right there. Of course this wouldn't be much good in the middle of a battle, but if things were quiet, it could be really great. In fact, there wouldn't be any reason not to make it look like a real hospital on earth (or wherever) to make the patients feel more comfortable.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps