Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Beware! NX-01 side view (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Beware! NX-01 side view
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just needed this side view for the database, I didn't do this for fun:

Fat Enterprise

But honestly, something doesn't seem correct. While the height of the saucer is like on the sketches seen in the background of the B&B interview (I assume seven decks), it appears much too tall. Especially the surface of the D deck looks much shallower on screen, but it contains exactly one deck and I matched it exactly to the top view. Is it really such a pimple with nacelles?

The length, BTW, would be 190m at 3.5m deck height.

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: Bernd ]

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've corrected the schematic. There was obviously much more of a parallax in the interview screencap than I thought.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/enterprise.jpg

The length is now 230m @ 3.5m deck height.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:: LOKNAR ALERT ::

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still...I very good schematic. Kudos.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason why we'll probably never see it from the side..

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, good. This will make the schematics I have to do for UP3 a lot easier. It'll be even easier, Bernd, if you have a basic line drawing view we can use, and share overall credit. . ? 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

I can do a line drawing in no time, but only of the side view. I'll post it in the UP III Forum.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful, Bernd! Wow. Talent. Now if only you liked the thing...

Two possible quibbles:

• I've gotten the impression that each blue stripe in the warp nacelles is actually an exposed coil (we look right into the nacelle, essentially), with a fair-sized space between each. You can sorta see this here. I'd space them out a teensy bit more.

• I'm a little surprised that none of the aft superstructure around the launch bay doesn't drop far enough to stick out. I haven't checked any pics for reference, so I could be wrong, though.

--------------------
    "I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

• Lee
    I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
    Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    B: fine, thanks. I'm about 50% through doing the top view, and it's totally doing my head in. I'm taking a coupla weeks off. 8)

--------------------
    Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Masao
    doesn't like you either
    Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    230 m? Has there been any news on the supposed length other than the "just over 600 feet" quote from ST Communicator?

--------------------
    When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Bernd
    Guy from Old Europe
    Member # 6

I'll take care of the "coils" in the nacelles. I also noticed that the top half of the saucer might be a bit more pointed. It's more like a exact circle segment in my drawing.

--------------------
    Bernd Schneider

MinutiaeMan
    Living the Geeky Dream
    Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    I don't remember the specific source, but I do recall that 190 meters was supposed to be the official length of the ship.

--------------------
    “Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
    Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Bernd
    Guy from Old Europe
    Member # 6

Here's the revised Enterprise, with different nacelle end caps, radial grid lines, and a modified shape of the double hulls.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/enterprise.jpg

--------------------
    Bernd Schneider

Greg
    Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    BRAVO! Excellent drawing Bernd. You are the king of schematics. I marvel at how you can look at a screen capture and create an accurate side view schematic. Any chance of seeing a front view soon?
    IP: Logged
    bX
    Stopped. Smelling flowers.
    Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Wow! Bernd. Great job for a ship you don't particularly like. I'm curious what drawing program you use? Freehand? Illustrator? Corel?

--------------------
    "Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
    HTML is enabled.
    UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps