Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Daedalus class MSD

Author Topic: Daedalus class MSD
Jb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was playing around and came up with this. Let me know what you all think. And yes, I realize I used a TNG LCARS interface for an older ship--like I said, I was playing around!

http://www.geocities.com/vanguardboy2000/daedalusmsd.jpg

Regards
Jb

IP: Logged
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neet...but why is the bridge not up top & what's that greengray mung under the shuttle?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume that's supposed to be an arboretum. I know that Jackill put one in his cross section, but I'm wondering if such a small ship could actually have room and resources for a big garden like that.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh...oh, yeah. I guess it DOES all look somewhat "tree-ish"...if you squint a bit..

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one that can't see this damn thing?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's on GeoCities, and they don't allow direct linking. Copy and paste the link into a new browser and it should come up.

As for the MSD itself, it's a nice job. I'm not sure if a Daedalus would have that massive of an arboretum, though. I could see a smaller botanical garden, but the arboretum is just a wee bit on the big side for the ship's size. Also, I'm not sure if the location you have for it is a good idea. Assuming that your picture of the shuttlecraft is closer in design and function to TOS's shuttlecraft than Enterprise's shuttlepods, I could see the space below the shuttlebay being used for a hangar and maintenance deck.

Other than those nitpicks, I like this design. I like that you have the bridge pushed down into the sphere rather on top. It works really well where you have it placed. Just one thing, though: can you add some labels? I can figure out the corridor, lounges, impulse engines, nacelle components, turbolifts and shafts, and the arboretum, but that's all I can't safely figure out. Which is the reactor and which is the computer core? And what all those different colored pods in the sphere section?

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Copying it doesn't work.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

that english guy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found that too ! But copy it, paste it, then delete the .jpg from the end, press enter and then you should get it ! At least, I did

Paul,

IP: Logged
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still not workin...

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh. Now I can't get it to pop up either. It was working yesterday. Jb, any chance of you putting that picture on a HTML file and relinking it here? That's probably the easiest way for us to see it.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you won't find a reactor or a computer core there. It appears that all the propulsive and power-generation functions are crammed into the nacelles (Jackill's even puts some pitifully small deuterium tanks there). Not "realistic" at all, IMHO. And it seems stupid to waste the space for an elevator AND an stairwell, when a simple ladderway would do. I guess the artwork would look very different if done *after* the NX-01 interiors were revealed...

Timo Saloniemi

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$ I';ve just realized this isnt an Enterprise forum, and maybe this is spoilage. Ive included vague references to the NX-01s design and size. No story elements or character info is relayed.
$

$

And it remains to be seen.. if now that NX-01 has 'phased Deadalus out' as the earliest known Starfleet ship, if the Daedalus ever makes a 'real' appearance if it will be rescaled to make more sense as a successor to NX-01's legacy. If the Daedalus class is that much smaller than NX-01, why replace the NX-01 design at all, unless the Daedalus is smaller because its a) more specialized (ie not designed as a general destroyer) or b) making shorter cruises. from what we know of Daedalus mission profiles, its neither. They were farthest out (out of subspace radio range & getting lost easily.. Essex, Horizon, Archon, etc..). It would make more sense if the Daedalus was more multipurpose (more docking facilities, crew, weapons, science equipment, bigger crew, long range) .. But i think maybe some of that would necessitate a vessel that is larger than the length presented in this cutaway.

Besides, I've started to hate Jackill's.. i paid frickin eight bucks for the Defiant prints in 97 because i wanted a cutaway, and when i opened it it was four pages, one of which was a completely filled in silhouette of the Defiant that said 'CLASSIFIED' on it. OK, he didnt know the length or layout of the Defiant. Why did i pay two bucks for an extra fucking 11x17 piece of paper that said he didnt know?! sheer goddamn laziness, and a waste of trees, the sonofabitch.[/rant]the drawings arent even right![/rant ok really this time]

So, i think ill start working on a 'real' Daedalus MSD.. and while im being pissed off, ill disregard not only Jackill's internal view, but Okuda's short ass length..

sorry im in a bad mood tonight

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...NX-01 has 'phased Deadalus out' as the earliest known Starfleet ship..."

There has been no indication whatsoever that there will ever be NX-class ships in the Federation Starfleet.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps