Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » What if DS9 had been written by JMS ? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What if DS9 had been written by JMS ?
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter:
Well if he did mean the Whitestar, then your correct, as the figures I found for its size make it 300 meters larger then even the Tech manual size for the Defiant.

Admitally I have no idea If the site was accurate but the Whitestar was 400 to 500 meters long.

[ December 09, 2001: Message edited by: Hunter ]

http://warlock.isnnews.net/home.html

Look at 8/04/00 update, the Whitestar's over 475 meters long.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tummie: I didn't say the size would be necessarily resolved onscreen, all I'm saying is that we might see the question pop up, jokingly, like the Klingon foreheads popped up on DS9. However, many other, more important questions would be resolved one way or another.

Originally, the Whitestar was supposed to be only about 150m long, and was seen as such in the S3 and S4 episodes (check "Shadow Dancing" where it's seen next to the 350m wide front face of B5). This size is also consistent with the size and height of the bridge and the visible windows that exactly match those on the sets.

Tim Earls, the guy who designed "Alice" in VOY and served as Rick's assistant in the last couple of seasons, scaled it up to as much as 475m when he finally decided to do some scale charts (apparently, the folks at Netter Digital had been scaling the ships the way they felt like). The reason: he thought the neck connecting the bridge to the rest of the ship was too small for a corridor due to a design fault, whereas we have no evidence that a corridor connects to the bridge there -- could be a small lift tube for all we know.

There's also the problem with the fighter bay added in season five, which according to Earls would scale up the Whitestar to at least 267m (the B5 security manual size); however, Brian Young and Tigreclaw for that matter have shown through the analysis of Lennier's cockpit scenes that the Minbari fighters were much smaller onscreen than Earls thought, so really, there's no need to scale anything up if you think about it.

It's just that Tigreclaw prefers to go with semi-official figures rather than his own measurements; at one point he had the Whitestar at 150m, heavily denounced the 267m size in the Security Manual, yet when Tim Earls popped up with his weird numbers, changed his mind and accepted his figures. Since his is the biggest tech site now online (Brian took off his site), that's what people read. Earls has a very weird size for the Excalibur as well (almost 3km), whereas window analysis and evidence from the show put it at only about 1500m).

[ December 09, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. It may be time to revise my multi-series size comparison chart.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
!"�!"(*&(*&�"�$"�$ YES. NOW. "�&*&QY*&"Y$*&QY$
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phelps:
!"�!"(*&(*&�"�$"�$ YES. NOW. "�&*&QY*&"Y$*&QY$

Huh? Anyway, nice done chart, MM. That would make a nice desktop or even a poster. Have a larger version?

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. Nice chart. Though you can be sure there's a few 'issues' in those lengths
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That English Guy: Besides the whole "changeling" thing with your story, I fail to see any relevant similarities with B5.

Although I won't dare to speculate what JMS would do with Star Trek in general, I do know that there were things he did in B5 that I wished were done with Star Trek:

1. He had only five major races, and developed them in detail. Sure, there were several other races such as the League of Non-Aligned Worlds, but they were there for a reason too. Star Trek routinely makes up a multitude of alien races-of- the-week who we never see again or care about after the episode, and have no development whatsoever.

2. He created a good, detailed backstory of the enmity between the Centauri and the Narn. If only there was such a backstory created for the enmity between the Klingons and the Romulans.

3. He routinely used human characters of several different multicultural backgrounds without stereotyping, while Star Trek consists of mostly white Americans with the token Black and English guys thrown in (to use Enterprise as an example).

4. Instead of having some all-powerful alien race toy with humanity for their own enjoyment (Q), the Shadows & the Vorlons had a real purpose for directing the younger races the way they did.

5. Garibaldi. That dude kicks ass. If only Jerry Doyle had a Star Trek role.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps