Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Loknar Class

Author Topic: Loknar Class
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Owing to inspiration from Harry's irrespressible enthusiam for these Connie brothers and sisters, and my own too, I'm gunna start on yet another such ship, this time FASA old boy, the Loknar.

I never did like that vulgar 'box' or block that just sat under the saucer. It looks clumsy and ill-conceived - never one though to crisitise Mr Joseph. But I plan to make a few modifications. But I still see this as the Loknar, or variant thereof. So, this is the first progress report after using the Saucer and Nacelles from the Connie mesh to use as a template...

-

-

-

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Admiral:
I never did like that vulgar 'box' or block that just sat under the saucer. It looks clumsy and ill-conceived - never one though to crisitise Mr Joseph.

I assume you mean Franz Joseph, who unfortunately had absolutely nothing to do with FASA designs such as the Loknar. FJ designed the Saladin, Hermes, Ptolemy, and Federation... that's all.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...of course he didn't, my bad. It's probably because I have been tinkring with both the Loknar and Federation this afternoon...

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice. I like it.

Really strange thought: are the supposed 'landing hatches' (the dark triangles) necessary on the Loknar? I don't know how official this is, but there were supposed to be legs behind those doors for the saucer section to make a Generations-like landing.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

I don't know to be honest. But I just presume, like the Constitution, it had the same type of saucer, struts and all. So I assume it can separate, I don't see why not... This would also apply to the Saladin and Ptolemy, one supposes.

--------------------

The ASDB

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was just a random thought. I really like your model. Especially in light of Enterprise. It seems to give some more credibility to the whole NX-Akira mess.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regardless of what the black triangles are (landing leg covers, TOS-era transporter antennas, Areas Intentionally Left Blank By The Manufacturer), I'd love to see some variation in them, and in other surface detail.

The idea of reusing one type of saucer in multiple designs is basically sound, and has parallels in the real world where very different ships are built on identical hulls. But the machinery on the hulls ITRW is always different, customized for the type in question. A Loknar, if a lesser ship than the Constitution, could make do with fewer or smaller black triangles, and fewer or smaller lit squares atop the saucer rim... The extremely low-res FASA drawings certainly don't preclude this kind of treatment.

Timo Saloniemi

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps