Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » McQuarrie's Enterprise

Author Topic: McQuarrie's Enterprise
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As most of us know, Ralph McQuarrie roughly designed two similar ships for the aborted Star Trek: Planet of the Titans film in the mid-1970s. His paintings of these ships look fairly non-Trek, aside from having nacelles and a saucer.

-

Just to see something more like what one of thse ships would "really" look like in the Trek universe, I used PSP to edit two of the paintings. Here's the result.

-

-

Whaddaya think?

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neat pictures. Terrible ship. Scale seems a bit off in that second one, too, or else the neck is really, really skinny. Or, more likely, I just am stupid when it comes to visual things.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The neck is just too narrow to begin with. I didn't try to really change any of the existing physical details, just added new ones (lights, pennants, etc.). And the coloring, of course.

--------------------

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Lobo
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This ship looks a little bit Star Wars like.
Ralph McQuarrie did design some(or all? i don't know exactly) star wars ships, didn't he?

Lobo

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die..."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My criticisms were directed towards the original design, incidently, Ryan, and not your...reimagining? Well, recoloring.

Of course, these were just preliminary sketches anyway. I mean, look at the lack of detail. So I'm sure, if they had decided to use one, it would have been fleshed out a bit as the design process progressed. As it is, it looks like two people could just about stand side to side in the neck, if it was totally devoid of anything else.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
My criticisms were directed towards the original design, incidently, Ryan, and not your...reimagining? Well, recoloring.

Recoloring is it. I'm not going to try to pretend this took even a modicum of talent.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This design tries to unify two entirely seperate philosophies, it seems. The secondary hull is rather monolithic in shape, which reflects an emphasis on functionality, whereas the primary fuselage and connecting dorsal indicate a larger focus on aesthetics - indicative of a more technologically advanced civilisation that has moved beyond the "purpose dictates form" principle.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lobo:
This ship looks a little bit Star Wars like.
Ralph McQuarrie did design some(or all? i don't know exactly) star wars ships, didn't he?

He designed the Imperial Star Destroyers, and their hull shapes and textures were obvious influences on his proposed Phase II Enterprise. I really like the look of this design.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice pic editing!

Though the McQuarrie Enterprise is an intriguing departure, I've never been able to figure out a good reason for the ship to look this way. The space that would be available in the two-or-three deck engineering section wouldn't actually be too much more than you'd get within a multi-deck cylinder like she'd usually have, and yet you'd have spent way, way more on external hull materials.

His design philosophy worked well for the gun-covered hull of an ISD -- almost all of the guns have forward line-of-sight -- but the stardrive section of a Federation starship need not bother with such things.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps