Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Valdore and Akira battle

Author Topic: Valdore and Akira battle
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was kinda bored on Friday so I had a fiddle in photoshop, this is a battle between the new Romulan ship and an Akira Class. The Valdore is from the publicity shot released a couple of weeks back and the Akira is scanned and then cleaned up from Starship Spotter. It could probably use some more work, but it's not a bad pic. [Smile]

http://www.zeetec.net/host/phlox/AkVal4a.JPG

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit more motion blur on the Akira would be good.

But it's nice seeing the Valdore being destroyed [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know there was an aft angle view of the Akira - like that in Starship Spotter!

I wouldn't put any motion blur on the Akira - cause the Valdore already has it - and it's as if the camera is following the Akira not the Valdore in the sceen.

Nice work! (Maybe the Akira's beams could be a little more pale-orange... use the washout button in photoshop.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
I didn't know there was an aft angle view of the Akira - like that in Starship Spotter!

Yep, here's the cleaned up version I used(the scan had a huge fold in the middle [Frown] ).
http://www.zeetec.net/host/phlox/Ak.JPG

Thanks for the advice too, I might do something with the phasers later. Like you say, I don't want to add any blur to the Akira because it's the focus of the picture. [Smile]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the pic!

What did you/how did you do the explosion on the nacelle?

And that Akira pic just highlights something (I wanted to see in Unseen Frontier) had thought about before with some various parts of starships and locations of windows... If your quarters were on one of the 'catamaran pods' and facing the inside - you could see into Ensign Big-bust's quarters on the other side of the ship! [Smile]

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Johnny
Member # 878

I'd never thought of that before. [Big Grin] "The ugly naked guy across the ship isn't moving, let's beam a big stick into his quarters and poke him!"

Hmm, the nacelle took a lot of fiddling to make it look like that, I'm still not happy with it. I had it sandwiched between layers that had explosions on them, the top one was transparent so the others would show through. To make the debris, I just selected chunks of the nacelle and twisted them around and made some of the edges black, when I thought they looked right, I added motion blur so they looked like they were flying away from the explosion. I also added motion blur to the explosions, because the rest of he ship is moving so fast all the fire and debris would be trailing off. That's my least favourite part of the pic.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, the perspective is a bit funky. I'm thinking that the Akira is "above" the Valdore, however it's firing the dorsal arrays and torpedoes at odd angles to hit the Rommulan.

Great comping job, though. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Johnny
Member # 878

Yeah, it is meant to be above it, I think the front of the Akira is tilting down a bit. I just chucked in a ton of creative licence there. [Wink]

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the orientation of the Akira WRT the Valdore is a bit off... but you could say that the Akira is taking a dive and is going to slip UNDER the Valdore's port wing?

Anyway, that's a very nice image! Wish I could figure out how to do artwork like that... I already have the tools (Macromedia Fireworks and Photoshop Elements), but I don't have the time to learn all that stuff. Yet.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow; that is very nice!

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something funky I'm noticing about the Akira from that angle: The windows in the catamarans appear to follow the curve of the hull. It's even more visible in the source photo he posted. Does that mean that the hallways and the floors of the quarters are all slanted? I suppose the individual rooms could be leveled and placed in a stairstep fashion upwards as they go aft. And maybe the hallways have a level spt that runs the length of a room, then has a couple steps up or something. It just seems odd.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps