Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Best starship bridge / command centre design... EVER? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Best starship bridge / command centre design... EVER?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Computer: "Please re-state the request."
Crewman: E...mer...gency.....force..fie...ld!! (wheeze)"

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stephanie Beacham, yes. But what about Stacy Haiduk? How did the male crewmembers not have to cross their legs every time she came into the room?

And Mark, that was a pretty feeble run-down of Mr. Welker's resume. You could at least have mentioned Dr. Claw. [Razz]

But to the topic at hand... for best, I'd have to go with the bridge of the original Galactica. Enough room to move around in, the commander's Command Intelligence station was elevated above the rest. It just worked.

Worst I would have to say is the Star Destroyer bridge. Much good potential for the volume contained in the set, but poorly executed (pun unavoidable).

Coolest bridge detail -- the Playboy centerfold on the wall of the Tantive IV's bridge. Best "scenery" -- the bridge crew (sans Gloval) of the SDF-1. There are lots of subcategories to play with here...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank's resume would be longer than any two arms. In SMALL print. What about Santa's Little Helper? Nibbler? Fred Jones AND often Scooby Doo? Slimer AND Ray Stanz? Bronx from Gargoyles? Orbity? Soundwave / Rumble / Frenzy / Laserbeak / Wheelie and a dozen other Transformers? Ahh, just read it for yourself.

http://imdb.com/name/nm0919798/

Whatever American cartoon you liked in the 70s, 80s, 90s or today, HE WAS IN IT.

Back to bridges: stylistically, I've always liked non-Trek bridges with individual command pods for the occupants. The aforementioned Liberator was one.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liberator's "command pods" always looked as thogh they could rove around the bridge as bumper-cars.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nim reminded me I hadn't posted this yet. My stuff is still all in storage, but I do have one small picture on my HD. The arrow on the left is pointing to a tiny Star Wars movie poster. The arrow on the right is pointing to a tiny Playboy centerfold -- I'll be able to tell you who once I've got my reference materials out.

Here it is.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Crewman: E...mer...gency.....force..fie...ld!! (wheeze)"

LOL! What is that from!?!

And what is the "Liberator" all I'm thinking is the busted up shuttle from Wolf 359.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blakes (sic) 7! Honestly, I don't know, bloody uncultured colonials. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I read the post wrong - thinking some how the Liberator had the Playboy poster in the model.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neato with the scale set decorations.

I'd probably have to go with the SB Yamato's bridge. Big, busy, but also seemed practical.
 -
I do love the TOS Enterprise bridge, but the off-axis thing sort of freaks me out and although there were worstations aplenty, their purposes seemed ill-defined and frequently redundant. Also the fact that no one seemed capable of buckling in for the inevitable sloshing about that space combat brings...

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
General Grievous' ship had a command bridge that wouldn't be anything special except for the fact that it had facilities both on the floor and on the ceiling. Never saw that on a Star Destroyer or Mon Calamari Star Cruiser bridge. Also I remember reading somewhere that the Venator Star Destroyer had two Bridges: one for controlling the vessel, the other to coordinate the ship's fighter squadrons.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps