Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » V - The Second Generation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: V - The Second Generation
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody else heard about this? Apparently "V" could be making a comeback! From Kenneth Johnson's website (he created the original miniseries):
quote:
Update 6/25/06

Here's what Kenny had to say at The Bionic Woman-KJ Legacy Convention:

"We are making progress toward getting V - The Second Generation into
production. We have enlisted the aid of Brian Jamieson, a 30 year veteran of
Warner Home Video, to help secure part of the financing for this very
ambitious and costly project. All of us are committed to making the sequel
happen and to have it be of the same high quality and artistic integrity that
people have always associated with V. We hope to have more substantive
news about the film in the near future.

"In the meantime...there is surprising progress in an unexpected direction:
there will be an opportunity for the millions of fans of V worldwide to get an
early preview of The Second Generation.

"I have nearly completed a novel based upon my screenplay.

"I'm very pleased to tell you that Warners and I are in final negotiations with a
major publisher in New York to publish the novel in hardcover. The publisher
has great enthusiasm for the book and the way it carries on the stories of
many of the original characters while also introducing some quite startling
new ones.

"As with my original V, The Second Generation will hopefully be an exciting
entertainment, but also be a thoughtful look at our society and an intriguing
exploration of how ordinary people react to extraordinary circumstances -- for
better or for worse.

"The novel would go on sale by early 2007.

"And hopefully not long after we'll finally see V - The Second Generation
realized on the screen."

According to IMDB, some of the original actors have already signed on, including Robert Englund. IMDB's not always the best source for things, though.

B.J.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like just a sales pitch for his book, really.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the other hand, re-ing(re-mastering, re-imagining, re-making) is very in at the moment.

I've never seen V, but some people seem to look back on it fondly. Was it any good?

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. Derivative, painfully predictable, cliched, unimaginative and worst of all, relies on introducing a brand new character towards the end of the series in order to resolve the plot. This brand new character, who has only been around for one or two of the final episodes, suddenly exhibits previously unseen and unguessed superhuman powers which allows this plot device character to save the day and help the good guys win. This is only necessary because the writers conspired to place our heroes in a completely artificial and contrived no win situation at the very last minute, from which they could not escape by conventional (believable) means without resorting to magic.

V also has some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard and acting to match.

But that's just my opinion [Razz]

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you confusing the series with the mini-series?

First there was the mini series V, which was very good, in my opinion. It was told as more of a modern day Nazi occupation/holocost story with lizard like aliens playing the Nazis, right down to a very similar looking emblem.

This mini-series ended with a cliffhanger. The resistance movement had started and they had attempted to contact the enemies of the Visitors.

Then came V:The Final Battle. Another TV mini-series. Dropped entirely was the idea of contacting the Visitors enemies. Instead it focued on the human resistance and an eventual virus that was developed to drive the visitors off Earth. This second mini-series was much more clichied, right down to the half-breed starchild (half human, half Visitor), that had magical ablilties and wanted to unite the two races in peace.

Then came V: The Series. This was a complete waste of celluloid. The early episodes were acceptable to my 13-year-old mind but even I started gagging as it rapidly became V:SciFi meets Falcon Crest.

So, is this "Second Generation" going to ignore parts of the series or the Final Battle or both? It sounds like it.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lurker Emeritus:
No. Derivative, painfully predictable, cliched, unimaginative and worst of all, relies on introducing a brand new character towards the end of the series in order to resolve the plot. This brand new character, who has only been around for one or two of the final episodes, suddenly exhibits previously unseen and unguessed superhuman powers which allows this plot device character to save the day and help the good guys win. This is only necessary because the writers conspired to place our heroes in a completely artificial and contrived no win situation at the very last minute, from which they could not escape by conventional (believable) means without resorting to magic.

V also has some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard and acting to match.

But that's just my opinion [Razz]

Well, it could be worse: the main character could have shouted "Get out of our Galaxy!" as the admonished aliens hang their heads in shame and leave peacefully with the plot-device character...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still waiting for Jack O'Neill to do that...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Get the hell out of our galaxy."
Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"Get the hell out of our galaxy."

Curse you for reminding me of that scene! I had all but blocked it out! Argh! Years of therapy and patient memory adjustment wasted! Wasted!
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well at least it's better than Will Smith saying "Elvis has left the building!" in Independence Day.
Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

Not Independence Day as well!

Oh please, make them stop!

My mental barriers are crumbling... illogical... emotions surfacing...

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Lock and load!", says the android member of the United Federation of Pacifists.

The overall plot reminds me of the stupid Nazi aliens from Enterprise, and to a lesser extent, the stupid Nazi aliens from Voyager.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Data also drops an "Oh Shit!" in Generations.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my, how terrible.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Curse you for reminding me of that scene!"

I only corrected the quote. Jason's the one who brought it up.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps