Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SGA "McKay and Mrs. Miller" [SGA] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SGA "McKay and Mrs. Miller" [SGA]
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the Russian (originally Giza) gate became the primary because they had the DHD attached, not because of the gate itself. Remember that was how they managed to operate under the radar for several months... because they disconnected the DHD except at scheduled times when they knew that there'd be no SGC activity.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me silly - I forgot that they didn't actually DIAL the Antarctic gate - the ?solar flare? ?energy spike? caused the matter stream to jump to the nearest gate. Thing is though - it DID have it's own POO symbol. One would also assume that to work it - you'd have all the same 'constellation' symbols too.

So when you take a stargate and move it somewhere else - you have to work out the 'address' for that location based on the local constellations?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, at least that was the original idea. They seem to have worked out a way to do this automatically now, or at least with less reliance on sending a MALP through first. I've chalked various omissions like this over the years with the SGC basically figuring out most of how the gate works by now.

Though there's still that one pesky chevron left...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time travel? (Don't think so otherwise that Atlantis episode with Weir going back 10,000 years wouldn't have made a big deal about Time Travel. Or The Groundhog day episode of SG1.

Alternate Reality? We've seen the Mirror and the Bridge between realities etc. This one could fit.

Second gate within the one system - It could be a descriminator for local gates??

A Way to lock the gate??

Anymore ideas?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Self destruct? Reversing the direction of the wormhole? Backdoor to ascention? A way to change the ringtone? A way to block incomming wormholes?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'll not likely know, ever. Fan theory is that it would require an exponential power consumption well beyond what even a ZPM can provide. And even if they could find a way to provide enough power and unlock the ninth chevron, they won't be able to go anywhere unless they have a viable address to spin up. So until they can figure out what it does, there's no point in investigating it.

Mind you, as of the Atlantis cliffhanger they've had a bunch of Lanteans occupying their city for weeks. Surely asking someone "hey, what does that ninth chevron do?" was one of McKay's to-ask questions?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps