Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » TW: "Everything Changes" / "Day One" [$$$] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TW: "Everything Changes" / "Day One" [$$$]
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched the eps last night on BBC2 and was very impressed. It's not the most amazing scifi series ever, but it's not bad. The only parts I didn't like were the two times characters stood on roof tops for no reason whatsoever. In the first, Jack even had a dreadful Horatio Caine pose.

Also, being slightly distracted by Jack's pronunciation of oestrogen(Brits spell it differently too...), I completely missed what the hell his little speech was all about. Why was there oestrogen all over the place?

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something about contraceptive rain. I wasn't paying too much attention, as the welshness was melting my brain.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a pretty pointless speech about how many birth control pills are taken. It's enough that it washes into the sewers, eventually back to the water, where it evaporates and then rains down on him to the point where he can smell it. The speech had absolutely nothing to do with what was going on.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Not Invented Here
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Not Invented Here     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I'm a bit dubious about the series. Only watched the first ep mind, some of us have work to get up for on Monday mornings [Razz]

It was alright overall, but there were several little bits that annoyed me, much like the main series of Doctor Who. Perhaps that shouldn't surprise me. For instance, the whole Torchwood backstory makes absolutely zero sense to me. Especially given Jack's "Someday I'll meet the Doctor again" speech, but simultaneously knowing about the Sycorax Invasion and the Cybermen battle (And having the Doctor's hand in a jar...). Maybe this will be cleared up later, but right now a little part of my brain is screaming PLOT HOLE in a rather loud voice.

Like someone above said, having a main character who can't die just seems a little too convenient as well. Also, to whoever posted that little had been made of Jack's omnisexuality - did you not notice the "He looks good in a suit", "Oi, that's sexual harrasment speech!"? Seems like Russell T Davies is planning to get a little bit more mileage out of the "In the future people don't care about homosexuality" idea.

Finally, the air shots of Cardiff and Jack standing on top of tall buildings irritated me. It felt like someone had said, "I know, let's shoot somewhere cheap just so we can save enough to spunk on hiring a helicopter for the day". Maybe it's just me and my Southern English ways, but you need much more than a helicopter to make Cardiff as cool a location as, well, anywhere else. The Welsh accent is just not sexy.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...but simultaneously knowing about the Sycorax Invasion and the Cybermen battle..."

But, everyone knew about that. That was the whole point of what he said about them. These were highly public events, but the public pretends they never happened because they aren't ready to deal with it.

Just because Jack knows about the events doesn't mean he was anywhere near them (or the Doctor). I mean, I know about the war in Iraq, but that doesn't mean I've met Saddam Hussein.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps