Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG 3x08 -- "Hero" $$$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: BSG 3x08 -- "Hero" $$$
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figured someone would have started a thread about this ep by now, but hey...

And yes, I'm sticking to the SFC's numbering scheme, so there, Chris. [Razz]

I like how Roslin kept Adama from following the simplistic explanation of the consequences of his mission. And I agree with her. In real life, there can be a single trigger for a war, but only after lots of built-up factors on either side have contributed to a tense situation. If the Cylons truly wanted to avoid a war, they would have sent representatives to the Armistice Station at least once in those four decades to do more than shoot the human representative in the face.

I like Bulldog, and hope he stays at least recurring.

Tigh is still a long way from recovered, but at least he's working on it, and hasn't given up. I wonder how he and Helo are going to work out who is gonna really be the XO...

And for the first time in this series, I am truly jealous of Baltar.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Except for the part where Roslin had his painting put under the toilet, right?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd love there to be a scene in a future episode that actually shows Colonial One's bathroom with Baltar's portrait above the loo, though I can't imagine a situation that would require it. Maybe some sort of brawl that spills through the ship until they get to the bathroom and the painting gets knocked into the bog, and everyone stops fighting and just points at it laughing.

Er, yeah.. anyway. This was a good episode. [Smile] I liked last week's, although I accept all the criticism that it got. This week however, there weren't any huge plot holes, so a few people's fears will have been allayed, I should think.

Bulldog is a great character, and nicely fleshed out considering he was only really there as a catalyst for Adama's flashbacks. We still don't really know how he did escape from the Baseship, do we? He still seemed convinced to the end that he killed the Number 3, but everything else seems to suggest that was in his imagination.

Nice to see two new ships as well. The Valkyrie wasn't really very adventurous, it was basically the same layout as Galactica but with differently shaped and detailed sections. The stealth fighter was also good, especially since it was similar in shape to the Blackbird. Shows Tyrol didn't just pull that design out of his arse.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering that it was a convert mission, how would Tyrol know about the stealth fighter design?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Presumably the ship wasn't built for that one mission.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or at least, the concept of stealth ships in general.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, but was that particular stealth ship made of the same material as the Blackbird? Can't know for sure, but I can see Tyrol drawing upon from stealth ships of the past for his design.
Paladin181
Member # 833

- posted      Profile for Paladin181     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing that made me wonder the most was the ship that attacked Bulldog, it hit him and then went away. While the cylon ships come in from a differnt direction and velocity it seems.
This could be more fuel to the fire that the Admirality wanted a war and had a second Stealthstar attack Bulldog.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

If the Admirality wanted war, they certainly underestimated the cylons. Not in terms of armaments, but in strategy. While they may have thought they could take on the cylons in ship-to-ship battles, they probably never conceived that the toaster would use their fleet wide computer program against them.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
Considering that it was a convert mission, how would Tyrol know about the stealth fighter design?

Well he didn't design it to be a Steath ship from the get go, that only came later when Helo thought up using carbon composite for the skin.

Also the design of the Stealthstar didn't look much like the Blackbird to me, looks more like a Viper Mk VII crossed with a F-117 Nighthawk.

Am I imagining things, or was one of those big wigs that briefed Adama the same bloke who was on the Armastise station in the Mini-series?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What struck me as odd was Adama's transfer from the Valkyrie to the Galactica after the mission over the armistice line ended in failure. I can accept Tigh's analysis that it was a sideways promotion and a means to ease Adama gently into retirement after a mission went bad, but did they transfer the entire crew of the Valkyrie onto the Galactica?

I just wonder because I'm sure Adama had a few exchanges in the miniseries with officers thanking him for their years of shared service (if I recall right I think Gaeta said something about three years, and I think Captain Kelly said something as well). If Adama took over as CO of Galactica within a year of the attack of the colonies, they must have moved at least some of his crew with him, which seems a bit strange...or was the entire crew tarred with the same brush as Adama and shuffled off to a less prominent posting?

As for the officer on the armistice station, I don't think it was the same guy. The officers who briefed Adama on his mission seemed pretty senior: I don't think they would be sent to a backwater assignment like armistice station, especially when they weren't expecting the Cylons. I thought the guy at the station was just a minor officer, since after 40 years the colonials only maintained a token presence.

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was under the impression that Adama had been in charge of Galactica for quite some time... Now it seems that he was barely there before the Cylons wiped out the colonies. Does this have any continuity problems? For example, Chief Tyrol was with him for at least five years in the first season... I suppose he and others could have come with him to Galactica from the Valkyrie, but I'd always thought that the Bucket was Adama's for a good few years. It makes it a little wierder that Adama would be so attached to the ship after so little time that he wouldn't swap for a clearly superior ride when the Pegasus came to town.

And about Valkyrie - it was just Peagsus redressed, right? I don't remember so many larger turrets on the ship, though the camera was even shakier than usual this week and I coulda missed it. The interior of the ship isn't the Pegasus C&C room, as that set must have been struck by now.

EDIT - I've scrutinized some screencaps, and Valkyrie and Pegasus are two different designs. They seem to share the same drive section engine pods, but the Valkyrie's midsection is proportionately larger and the forward section is different. Looks very much actually like what a current-day equivalent to Galactica's design would look like, with technology of the Mercury class.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some reason I thought Adama might have served on Galactica before, during the original war, explaining his attachment to it. Can we perhaps explain some of these things with Adama being commander of Galactica, given a temporary transfer to Valkyrie with the possibility of it being permanent, and the mission's failure resulting in his return to Galactica?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, to be honest.
Not a big fan of these "retrocon" flashback episodes. Black Market kinda nnoyed me the same way, but at least it only had less than annoying consequences for Apollo's character, not the whole Cylon-Human plotline.

As with the others, I was always under the impression that Adama was the crusty old commander of Galactica. Examples being FawnDoo's examples of conversations and what I assumed was his stubborn quirk of being able to keep his Battlestar from having any networked systems as others were computerized.
Now, did he similarly strip the other vessel and then strip the Galactica when he got there? Or was the previous Commander of Galactica similarly paranoid? It starts stretching belief.

Other annoyances are that Adama would have to have sit on this guilty secret for more than a year (when part of the storyline had Sharon convincing him to not feel guilty for leaving behind the people on New Caprica...a much smaller guilt trip it would seem), that any hotshot pilot with an attitude can re-wire a raider (and use the FTL and a radio that Starbuck couldn't find/get working), Bulldog would have to have "accidentally" found the co-ordinates for the fleet, the fleet would have to accept his story and that he had time to do all this while presumably other Cylons were (pretending to) look for him.

Well, maybe next weeks episode can show that modern science fiction can actually do a fighting ring after the horrible B5 TKO and the two horrible Voyager episodes [Wink]

Omega: Didn't seem like my impression since Bulldog asked "How did you end up on this bucket?" while looking unfamiliar with the Galactica rather than "back on this bucket."

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Did anyone notice in one scene, something Adama said was bleeped out?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps