Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » The Hobbit - does anyone know about this? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Hobbit - does anyone know about this?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just looking at something at scifi.com and they have a poll on the front page saying New Line doesn't want Peter Jackson to direct The Hobbit. Are they crazy? Seriously. WTF!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
King Kong was not the next LOTR. What have you done for me lately PJ? (also, JRR who?)
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah.
I hear it last week- seriously a stupid move.
I had heard that the studio was VERY unhappy with their arrangment with Jackson over the LOTR trilogy ( an agreement they went with expecting far les success than the movies generated aparantly).

They're morons- without Jackson at the helm, we're likely to see something about as faithful as a Sci-Fi telemovie.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't we just have this discussion?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh...forgive me, but King Kong was fucking awe-fucking-some.

Truthfully, I don't really give a shit about LOTR or The Hobbit, but still...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Didn't we just have this discussion?

That one just purely escaped me. Maybe it was the enormously long title that would have cut off any mention of The Hobbit.

This is indeed a sad turn of events. REALLY sucks even.

I hope maybe PJ and co. could perhaps (I've always wanted to see this) do a movie on the Children of Hurin!!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't find the link right now (I think it was on Dark Horizons) but apparantly the dude who owns the rights is confident that Jackson will direct the Hobbit, after the rights revert back to him.
I gather he doesn't expect New Line to get their own production off the ground in time.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Ain't it Cool News, Saul Zaentz was saying that Jackson will direct when the rights to the Hobbit reverts to Zaentz's company next year.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30806

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what was the point of the "Jackson won't direct" news release? New Line must have known they wouldn't keep the rights for it, and so would Jackson.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the time factor is part of why New Line want to press on and get another director. If they can get one on board quickly they may get the film made before they loose the rights, though personally I doubt that'll happen.
I don't think there are many directors of merit, who are capable of living up to LOTR's legacy AND willing to take Jackson's place.
Not to saying that no one else could do it, just that those that can probably wouldn't want to.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alan Smithee's Da Hobbit...
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wolfgang Petersen's Das Hoob.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only someone that would be 100% faithful to the novel should be allowed to direct.
Paul Verhoeven would be my choice.

MEDIC!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lars Von Trier's Baggins

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason Abbadon's "Shire Ink" with Ami Baggins

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps