Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Beast Machines and Bob Skir

Author Topic: Beast Machines and Bob Skir
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poor Bob Skir... Perhaps no other animation writer has had to put up with what this guy has had to...

For those who have no idea who have no idea what I'm talking about...

Beast Wars (Transformers) ended last season, and so did the two story editors, Bob Forward and Larry DiTillio. Fox got the exclusive rights to air the next Transformers show, and Bob Skir (along with Marty Isenberg) was brought on board to be the new story editors.

Well, FOX and Hasbro (the guys who make the toys) had their own ideas on what they wanted to see in this new series, but Skir did the best that he could, and came up with a pretty good series.

Not only that, but poor Mr. Skir also wanted to appease the fans by opening up a FAQ page so that people could ask questions about the new series, long before the first episode was even aired.

Then, the series began to air. As I said, its pretty good. One big story arc. Big mysteries. However, a lot of people have decided to denounce the series (and specifically Mr. Skir) for one basic reason: There aren't enough references to G1 (That's Generation One, or the original 80's cartoon).

So, then Bob Skir opens up his own UBB so that he can get reactions to the episodes. Poor guy... About every other thread is titled something like "Down with Skir!" You could tell he was near heartbroken when he answered the latest set of questions for his FAQ.

Well, the moral of this story is thus: Be nice to those who try to entertain you. Writers are people too.

------------------
"Alright... Who wrote 'Beavis and Butthead rule' on the back of my skull?"

- Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek Parody, The Critic

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The beast machines iz da bomb!
I think they make reference to G1 to much. In the third episode there was a statue of Optimus Prime.

Beast wars made reference to G1 too much.

Where is the Forum?

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://talk.tfseek.com/cgi-bin/tf-ubb/Ultimate.cgi

------------------
"Alright... Who wrote 'Beavis and Butthead rule' on the back of my skull?"

- Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek Parody, The Critic

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most recent FAQ update is even more hilarious than usual, IMO.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Don't worry; in Season Two we abandon it for 'I Am A Sock-Puppet!'" - Bob Skir

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Larry DiTillio did Beast Wars(Oops, well a r really doesn't matter does it?), really the same Larry DiTillio that used to work on B5?

------------------
Step 1: Become a senior member,
Step 2: ?,
Step 3: Global Domination

[This message has been edited by HMS White Star (edited October 16, 1999).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the same guy (wrote more B5 eps than anyone except JMS), and you misspelled a word, although it tends to apply to later episodes with Blackarachnia.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Don't worry; in Season Two we abandon it for 'I Am A Sock-Puppet!'" - Bob Skir

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It'd be like Star trek fans demanding that they mention Kirk in EVERY episode of voyager or something.

And that Op Prime statue is pretty much one of the only references made in Beast Machines so far AFAIK.

------------------
Cordellia: "Well, does looking at guns make you wanna have sex?"
Xander: "I'm seventeen. Looking at linoleum makes me wanna have sex."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps