Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SGA "First Strike" [Season Finale Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SGA "First Strike" [Season Finale Spoilers]
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The point was to get the supergate to dial OUT, so the Ori couldn't dial in from their galaxy.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, no, here's what happened:

Our Heroes wanted to establish an active wormhole to the Supergate, one way or the other, permanently. This would keep the Ori from coming through (so long as it wasn't a wormhole from their galaxy, obviously). Sam and the Asgard couldn't find a way to dial the supergate out, and the supergate would only accept incoming connections from another galaxy. So they took a gate to Pegasus, and Teal'c put another gate right next to the supergate. The Pegasus team put their gate in orbit of a black hole, since the time dilation allows the wormhole to remain open indefinitely, instead of the 38 minute limit. They dialed Teal'c's gate, thus establishing a wormhole that would never close so long as both gates remained intact. The Pegasus team then made a big boom on their outbound gate, making the incoming wormhole jump from Teal'c's gate to the nearest inactive gate, i.e. the supergate. Thus they created a permanent incoming wormhole to the supergate, preventing the Ori from dialing our galaxy, or from dialing home for that matter. Basically, that took the supergate entirely out of play, short of more wormhole-jumping shenanigans.

It all hangs together very well (unlike "Unending"...). The only real hole I've noticed is that they never address the fact that they've basically created a permanent gateway from Pegasus to the Milky Way, meaning the Wraith can send darts through! Of course, they'd have to know about it, and all the darts in the world really aren't a great threat with no hyperdrive...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That plus it's sat on the event horizon of a black hole.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it's not the time dilation that keeps it open - it's the unlimited power OF the black hole that gets absorbed by the gate, allowing it to remain open indefinitely.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think both explanations have been used.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang on the boom at the Pegasus end causes the gate to jump at the Milky Way end?? When they first used the jumping technique - was that the first Antarctica episode - where was the 'boom' from??

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They nuked it. Several times, actually, but then the combination of a nuke plus an exploding Wraith ship (long story) finally caused the intergalactic wormhole to jump to the supergate. The small gate in the black hole then kept the supergate permanently open. For whatever reason, the Ori forces apparently could not create another supergate while this one was occupied, so no further ships could come through to reinforce the four already in the Milky Way, one of which was also destroyed in that episode. It was quite a high body count between the Ori and the Wraith that week, really...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mm I'd forgotten the one-gate-in-one-region thing. I would think that would be a software safety feature, though, not a law of physics - I mean, it seems kind of arbitrary (as in, plot device *cough*). Actually it's probably to do with the limitations of the coordinate system (although they seemed to quietly let the six-points-in-space thing slide for awhile...) That's another post, though.
Omega
Member # 91

All wormhole jumps I recall had the blast on the outgoing end and the jump on the receiving end. The discovery of the Antarctic gate (Jaffa fire), the dialing of the black hole (purposeful bomb), tracking down the renegade NID group (special device, I think), and this one (uberbomb). Were there any others?

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps