Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Babylon 5 novels....HOW MUCH?! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Babylon 5 novels....HOW MUCH?!
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, here I was, innocently rekindling my interest in B5, looking forward to the new set of DVDs, when I read on some fan sites that some of the novels they wrote were at least semi-canon.
Now normally I don't bother with licenced novel as the quality is usually piss poor in my experience (I've only read a handfull of Star Wars EU novels that were any good and not one Star Trek book that I could get along with.)However, given that there's alot of unfinished material the JMS never got to put out there and based on some good reviews I decided to see if I could lay my hands on some half decient copies.

Now my usual first stop is AmazonUK and sure enough, all the good ones are all there and going for a few quid a piece; the sort of prices you'd expect for a 4/5 year old paper back in good nick.

That is all except for the 2nd book of the Techno-mages Trilogy (Summoning Light.) I can't find a copy of this book anywhere for anything less than �30! Seriously, check it out LINK
Some silly bugger has is going for �241! I mean, who would pay that for a not long out of print paperback?
Were these books acidentally printed on solid gold paper? Do they have the meaning of life encoded within it's pages? Do they come with free weekend tickets to Disney Planet?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's suprising. But it is one of the must-read books for a B5 fan, and a great story as well. Certainly MUCH better than that Legend of the Rangers crap!

If you don't already know which books to read, here's the abbreviated list:
The Shadow Within
The Psi Corps trilogy
The Centauri trilogy
The Techno-mage trilogy

At least those are the ones I have, and the ones I've heard recommended elsewhere. They certainly do answer a lot of questions from the series.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The three trilogies are excellent books. I had the most trouble finding the second book of Legions of Fire, myself. I ended up buying all three trilogies in hardback form, three volumes. Took a while to find at a decent price, though, the hardbacks are even harder to come by than the paperbacks. The reason they're expensive is that they're a) rare, and b) very very good. The technomage trilogy is absolutely awesome. My suggestion is that you create an Amazon wish list with the things you want on it, and check it regularly to see if anyone happens to be selling it that day for a really good price. I got a copy of CS Lewis's "Letters to Malcom" in hardback for $10 that way when it usually goes for $200 or so. Sometimes people sell things without looking at the market prices. Don't know why.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far I've gone and bought The Shadow Within, To Dream in the City of Sorrows (now there's a JMS title if ever I heard one) and In the Beginning.
I do plan on getting the Psi Corp & Centauri trilogies at some point, I just wanted the techno-mage trilogy because I just recently bought the (in)complete Crusade DVD set and developed a renewed appreciation for the show.
It really helps if you watch it in JMS's perfered order and just ignore the uniforms. I was quite surprised how well it held up on it's own and there's only 2 episodes I don't really care for (one of them being a direct result of TNT being a bunch of plumb duffs.)

Oh, as for LoTR (not the one with the hobbits), I have to confess that I did buy it, though only because it's the last we'll ever see of G'Kar. The rest is pretty crap, though to be fair, so was The Gathering and look how that turned out.

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh. Wow.

I bought the Technomage Trilogy (for sure) and the Psi Corps trilogy (kinda sure, memory hazy) a long time ago just from the bookstore as they came out in paperback.

Just checked amazon.ca for Summoning Light.

List Price: CDN$ 9.99 (not available)
Used: from CDN$ 139.80 [Eek!]

Wow. That is severely tempting.

From my hazy memory, I can recommend the Psi Corps and Technomage trilogies (although the latter gets a bit repetitive).

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I did find the Omnibus edition of the TM trilogy on an Amazon.com marketplace at a not too bad price, but the bastard doesn't ship to the UK.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I'm glad I already have those books.... And good to know if I ever need some money!

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the book is in that high demand, they'll likely do another printing pretty soon...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Possibly. I know there's at least one new B5 book coming out in the next few months, probably a tie in to the Lost Tales DVD. Perhaps they'll do a re-printing.

While I'm on the subject, has anyone seen this yet?

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*CRACK* Neigh. . . *CRACK* Neigh. . . *CRACK* Neiiuugghhhh *THUD!* *CRACK* *CRACK* *CRACK*

And I'm a B5 fan.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Though not much of an equestrian I take it.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're also a Star Trek fan, Lee. If you think that B5 is a dead horse, what does that make TAS, much less Enterprise? [Razz] (Leftovers from the glue factory, I'll bet.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I don't think it's quite dead yet (certainly not compared to Star Trek.) B5 hs mostly been the victim of bad timing and circumstance. Crusade was really going somewhere when you look at the premise of what the last few shows were to have been (think "Sign & Portents" and "Chrysalis") but was cut down due to network politics. LoTR I think suffered from being too rushed, the whole thing felt like a first draft, the dialogue especially felt too on the nose and the actors didn't feel like they really got the material...that plus the Kung-Fu weapons gimmick was a little...off.

Besides all that I have a feeling this new direction has promise. After all, faith manages. [Wink]

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Funny, we never even got to the equivalent of "Signs and Portents" in Crusade. (The script is available somewhere online, IIRC.)

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

"To the ends of the Earth" I think it was called and like Signs and Portents, it was to be the "chapter title" of the season.
I never got to read the script but I've read a summary and it dose indeed look like it would've turned the show on it's head and knock the whole Drakh plague pretence aside.
I seams like the real focus of the show would have been the legacy of the First Ones and what the younger races were doing with it, including the origin of the Techno-mages. I always thought the "search for the cure" premise was a little flimsy to support a whole show, at least a show that was to follow in B5's footsteps.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps