Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SGU "Stargate Universe" Set for 2008

Author Topic: SGU "Stargate Universe" Set for 2008
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LINK HERE

At least the working title of the new show has been released. Nothing is known except that it will continue the Stargate franchise, be set in the "present" of the franchise, involve a team travelling through stargates, and that the erstwhile ninth chevron will be used somehow.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're being very cryptic. They make it sound like it'll be set in the present day(since they rule out a prequel or the future), but if that's true then there can only be so many alternatives to the current series settings. To me, the first thing that sprang to mind would be a group of humans in a far flung part of the universe who are either on an extended mission, or can't get home, but that would immediately draw parallels with Voyager and Atlantis.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or time travel.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since it's been said that Continuum sets up the new series, I think we can determine what the new series is about based on what we know of Continuum.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...And since continuum seems to be based off of time travel and/or alternate dimensions, it's a fair bet that the ninth chevron has something to do with that.

Mark

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if the SGC learns how to use the ninth chevron then you know that the only way for there to be things going on that are interesting, everyone else in the universe has to simultaneously figure it out too.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Oh, I dunno... Through "Bad Guys" in the final season, they were STILL running up against worlds that had no idea that the Big Stone Ring in their museum was really an interstallar transport device. The galaxy has become a lot more crowded since the days of Ra subjugating a few thousand people on a desert planet, but there are literally MILLIONS of gates in this galaxy alone (the galaxy has well over 200 billion stars, and today's science strongly suggests that MOST of them have planets of some sort aroudn them). Still space for all sorts of adventures, I'd say.

Mark

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the problem - the "galaxy" gets too familiar to the writers and viewers and they think that 100 planets = overcrowding... that's why I gave up on working out and drawing a good Star Trek map (long before the book came out). The galaxy is so huge it's hard for us to conceive of in our minds.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I mean is, in order for there to be a main villain of the show, they have to use the ninth chevron, too.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not necessarily... the Wraith can't use the eighth chevron, for example. (Not that they've been a spectacularly great villain, but they're not bad, IMO.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe we'll see a return of Ra or Anubis: someone bright enough to follow the SG team from his time/alternate reality to escape his fate or just to start fresh without all those pesky rival system-lords.

Lord knows the super-hot Ori chick is a disapointing baddie...but man, I cant stop looking at her!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps