Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » DW "Blink" $$

Author Topic: DW "Blink" $$
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy SHIT, this was the scariest episode ever! If I had a sofa to hide behind, I genuinely would have done. Not bad for the money and time saving episode of the year!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed. It's not often I get sucked into a story like that, but I found myself trying not to blink!
One thing though, was it ever explained who threw that brick at her in the house, or how the Doctor knew to write that message? I presumed it was all in the file but I'm not sure.

I do like how they're starting to really exploit the narrative possibilities of time travel. I'm not a huge old school Doctor Who fan so I don't know if they did much of this sort of thing in the old days.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent episode, probably would have been the best episode of the series if it weren't for last week's.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They did very little of this paradoxical storytelling in the original series. Usually, the TARDIS drops the Doctor and his companion(s) of in the middle of a situation, they fix it, and then they leave. Most often the TARDIS and time travel is hardly used except as the way they get to their next adventure.

It's a little odd that the last three episodes have been so good, but there's been so little of the Doctor in them. This week he was mostly a DVD extra, and in the past two it was John Smith, a wholly different character than the Doctor (which is a true testament to how damn good an actor David Tennant is). With "42" though, the season has definitely experienced an upturn, and I *liked* the Dalek two parter quite a bit. Best season yet!

Mark

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found myself yelling at my monitor for the first time in a very very long time. "No! Don't look away, man!" Very good episode.

I'm wondering, though: was the trailer at the end of the episode for the next episode or the rest of the season? It seemed to me like there were at least two plot threads present.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Little of both. We pick up Jack in Cardiff from the end of the first season of Torchwood, with him literally hitching a ride on the TARDIS to the end of the universe in "Utopia" next week. Making up with the Doctor, they all head back to 2007 London for the two-parter finale and a long-awaited showdown with the mysterious Mr. Saxon.

Mark

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally watched this episode and LOVED IT!

Loved it, loved it!

Really good - had me hooked from the beginning.

I really loved Sally Sparrow too. Hawt! [Smile]

So was there a reason Kathy Nightingale went to 1920 while the police guy went to 1969?

What did Martha mean she'd been to the moon 4 times?

I've loved this season, so far, too!

What do you mean the Doctor and Jack 'make-up'? What problem did they have with each other?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Jack might have a problem with being left behind on that station... Also, he might want the Doc to fix him so that he can finally die. Or not, we shall see...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever it is, the Doc seems to be annoyed by Jack's presence as well. He pretty much ignores him when he sees him on the screen(there's a preview clip floating around).

I thought Martha said she'd seen the moon landings four times.. like on TV. But whatever she said, it doesn't mean it's happened yet in the "present" which we seen every week.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What did Martha mean she'd been to the moon 4 times?
Well we know she's been there at least once, but I think what she meant was she's seen the Apollo 11 moon landing 4 times.

I get the impression that they've jumped ahead a bit in the narrative and she's been on a few more trips in the Tardis than we've seen. One of which apparantly involves four things and a lizard in 2008.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Pretty much after "The Lazarus Experiment" we wrapped up Martha's original character arc, and we're back to only loosely connected adventures in time and space as we had through much of last season. In the first year, there were only a couple breaks where "extra" adventures could happen, and even those were relatively limited windows.

Mark

--------------------

StationMaster
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for StationMaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say - bravo. Thoroughly class ep.

Watched it twice. Eyes were sore for days.... [Big Grin]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heheheheh!

Someone recently sent me a link to their pictures they had taken on holidays in England - with all the pictures of statues... I was for a split second like "Woah!" [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on holiday, so I'm catching up. Mind you, we had Sky in our villa, including the Beeb, so I could have watched these eps except I was already behind, having had to DL "Family of Blood."

Yet another good episode. I'd take exception to the notion that the series took an upturn with "42," that was shite. And, while the "HN"/"FoB" two-parter could never have been properly compacted into a single ep, it does seem to me there was a bit of filler in the latter ep, you could lose the whole attack on the school sequence altogether, shaving off nearly 15 mins. All it did was reveal to the Family how the Doctor had disguised himself, and they did nothing with the knowledge - "It's in a watch, but some boy's got it, only I forgot what he looks like." But that ending, OK the Family were too prone to RADA-reject mugging, but all the same it takes great talent to make the Doctor turn out to be WAY more scary than the baddies.

Anyway, "Blink." I don;t know what the point of the brick was, I can't imagine the Angels luzzing bits of masonry around when they're supposedly so fast. Maybe they were just tryingto scare her off, having no especial need to kill her. And, damn she was cute.

The Doctor actually suggested a reason why one person went to 1920 and another to 1969 - DI Shipton must have been touched by the same one as the Doctor and Martha.

And, I so could not sleep last night after watching it. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps